Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badger77

New Rig - New intel CPUS

12 posts in this topic

Ok in the past I'm the one answering these sort of post but like my BE gaming (and all gaming) I've sort of stopped and may not be fully up to date.

I thought I understood which was which and which was best but maybe I dont so looking for advice.

Thinking of upgrading as I have a old first gen I7 920 CPU at 2.7ghz. I have a vertex 3 ssd and. 570gtx so all I need is a mobo and CPU really

Not too bothered about cost but not spending $1000 on a CPU just want a decent one and best suited .

Is it ivy bride socket or the 2011 socket.

I want future proof so usb3 and maybe pcie 3 which is socket 2011 but are they they right processors

Also have a asus sound card pcie. Worth changing nowadays ?

Thanks

Depends on the kind of experience you want; If you want to set your expectations really high in hopes that it will run WW2ol better: Its best to put that boat out to sail.

WW2ol is just limited by its programming, its compilers and unfortunatly, its withered out devs.

I can load up to 255 (crashes on 256th) clones in offline mode, despite all of them being visible in my LOS I know if I were to play with that fps it would still be fun.

My specs are intel i5 2500 (non k), 16GB ram, ATI 6770 and 2 * intel 520 (128GB) SSD.

My thoughts at the moment is that CRS should drop ww2ol and focus on their WOT sort-of-clone so they can get some life, interest and momentum back into their work.

It really is sad that in 10 years, the game still suffers from the same CTD's it did at launch and they dont even bother to try to fix it, they just keep allowing themselves to get distracted by community demands. Which might I add, have accelerated the game's demise in a twisted sort of way.

*sigh*

But if you want to play other games, sure; go for broke. As long as it doesn't make you deaf, its worth buying.

PS: WW2ol is as fun as it ever was and a game can get btw; despite whatever history it has had in the past: Which really doesnt matter, as long as it is a thoroughly entertaining experience, as it has ever and always been.

<3 Ww2ol

We love you!

Edited by torquil

Well yes it's not really for this game just like having a pretty modern system.

I don't play that much anymore butmid like to know what is the best route to go in terms of socket types

Well your setup isn't really dated to be honest. If its desktop performance you are looking for, getting a new mobo/cpu isn't going to net you any detectable increase. For gaming, you can overclock the hell out of 920's with a good air cooler. There are many plug and play water cooling kits available for $50-100 that will allow you to overclock pretty easy. 4.0 ghz on a 920 is pretty common. You will notice a difference in most gaming scenarios over the 2.66 stock clock.

For ww2ol in specific, the game really only thrives on high (stupidly high) cpu clock speeds. Point blank, the engine for this game needs an overhaul. I know there are lots of topics on how much the engine has to process as far as ballistics and whatnot in comparison to other games, but it doesnt utilize newer technologies available. The game will likely run better on a core 2 clocked at 5.0ghz and sub zero cooled than it would on a 6 core high end modern processor at stock clocks.

This game isn't a good point of reference to decide if you need to upgrade. I went from a i7 930 @ 4.0ghz with 465's in SLI (the game doesnt take advantage of this of course, but you can force the game to utilize both cards and it runs like crap) to a pair of 670 FTW's and the gain was about 10%. Moving from a i7 930 @ 4.0 ghz to a 3770k at stock 3.5ghz, the difference wasn't noticeable. Pushing to 4.4ghz last night, there was a slight noticeable gain and I never dropped below 55fps in town, but it was low pop.

ww2ol aside, you have a decent rig that you can still squeeze a lot of power out of, so unless you HAVE to spend some of your cash, I would hold out until next summer when Haswell processors come out. Ivy bridge is the "tick" of the processor development phase. Same architecture with a smaller die for the most part. Haswell should be the "tock", and the market for things should be more stable by then.

basically you already have TOP Of the LINE CPU...

overclock it...your going to be within probably 10%-15% of even an overclocked new one

your going to be wasting your $$$ buying a new cpu

Edited by Vampress

basically you already have TOP Of the LINE CPU...

overclock it...your going to be within probably 10%-15% of even an overclocked new one

your going to be wasting your $$$ buying a new cpu

Really ??? It's over 3 years old and 4 iterations of the I7 behind. So are you saying there is little difference between the very first I7 and the latest I7s

I thought there was a big difference and there is. Just seeing which one is best value. Don't really overlock as don't need to but was interested in the new stuff as I wasn't sure.

When is the next CPU range due ?

End of year ? Next year ?

- Ahh found it new architecture next year prob June

I may wait then

Edited by badger77

I agree with the earlier overclock statement. I have an I7 930 (2.sumthin ghz stock) OC'd to 4.2ghz. Been this way for a year and a half now. Love it! :D

Edited by membrain

Yep! The i7's overclock easily on air and stay nice and cool. If you have one and its not overclocked your losing potential.

Try it.

S!

the stock heat sinks aren't very good for overclocking...

but you should have gotten a better aftermarket Heatsink to begin with since the stock ones are usually pretty marginal and usually excessively loud

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0