Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motorpool

whats up with the planes in this game?

8 posts in this topic

i start the engine and as soon as i throttle up a bit it spins out of control. when i do manage to take off and fly straight it spins out of control in about a minute. if i bank left or right it rolls out of control. doesnt matter if im using joystick or mouse

This game doesn't automatically compensate for things you have to do to actually fly like other games. You have to lock the tail wheel for example and compensate for other things just as you would if you were flying in real life. This is a sim not a shooter.

hold down the brakes z and x until at full RPM, the reason your spinning out of control is because you have a two engine plane and only 1 engine is fully started. make sure to press ' until you reach max RPM and press f8 to turn on WEP. Once full RPM is met release your brakes and go down the runway, use rudder (if you have it) or 1 brake at a time (1 quick press at a time) to steer. Once you get to the end of the runway pull up lightly and retract your gear. Level out to game some speed before turning and make sure when at low speed turning to NOT do a sharp turn.

Press the ` key (to the left of the 1 key on the top row on most keyboards).

This opens a little box in the top left that shows rudder slip, and other control surface information.

This is useful as it gives an idea of how much and where you need to compensate. It also tells you if flaps are up/down.

The torque of the engine gives the plane a tendency to spin in one direction which needs to be corrected with rudder and ailerons. The propeller also creates a corkscrew effect in the air around the body of the aircraft. This also causes it to spin and must be compensated for.

As you gain speed, the torque, corkscrew effect and drag from other control surfaces will change. So the control inputs from you will vary as you gain and lose speed and manoeuvre. You can trim each of the surfaces to make this more manageable. Check keymapper, but I think the default keys are i,j,k,l,< and >.

People commonly crash on take off because the spinning effect is strongest at low speeds. Crashing after take off can be due to over steering at what is still a low speed. Remember to lift off, raise the landing gear (huge amounts of drag), raise flaps (if used to take off) and keep a gentle, straight climb at full power for a few minutes until you can level off at a good altitude and with lots of speed. Then you can start practicing some manoeuvres.

What everyone said here.

I myself don't bother with the tailwheel lock - as I have a control on my throttle controller that I use to control the rudder as I roll out. That being said - it took me a while to learn the nuances of it (it takes a light touch at high speeds, and more heavy hand at low speeds - just like in RL, if you've ever flown a plane before).

YMMV.

Good luck and happy flying!

S!

i start the engine and as soon as i throttle up a bit it spins out of control. when i do manage to take off and fly straight it spins out of control in about a minute. if i bank left or right it rolls out of control. doesnt matter if im using joystick or mouse

lol another CoD kid whats up doc? where do u get those guys? u farmed them earlier? xD

Tailwheel is since long locked by default.

However, you can unlock it. But you really shouldn't until you learned how and why to use an unlocked tailwheel. ;)

i start the engine and as soon as i throttle up a bit it spins out of control.
Not quite, but I know what you mean.
when i do manage to take off and fly straight it spins out of control in about a minute. if i bank left or right it rolls out of control. doesnt matter if im using joystick or mouse
Not quite, but I know what you mean.

Helo in ArmA made me crazy. But I figured it out. Fast insertion / extraction from a house rooftop? Call me.

DCS Ka-50 BlackShark I loved from the first moment. Not just hard: complicated and difficult. Wonderful.

This is WWIIOL.

Trust me. Trust others. It's there. But don't skip the details. WWII models are cranky / unforgiving!

enjoy!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0