Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ashtorak

Why is it fun running half an hour to get somewhere?

9 posts in this topic

It is fun because when you die you have to run another half an hour! What? This makes no sense - maybe. I mean, I didn't thought that before either, but now I'm having more and more fun just to survive as long as possible and maybe get one or two kills if I'm lucky.

Like yesterday in Liege: the west side was mostly controlled by Axis and the east side by Allies. I just got the anti tank guy unlocked. So I wanted to try it out on this one Allied tank standing on the west side of the river behind a little wall. It was not so easy to get near to the tank. There was also a sniper or something in the church tower on the other side of the river and possibly some more stuff. Eventually I managed to get right in front of the tank but because of the wall I couldn't really get my AT rifle into position. So I lay there for a few minutes not daring to stand up as left and right my comrades were falling. Finally I put down some smoke grenades and crawled back to find a better place. With my last smoke grenades I then managed to get into a building across the street from which I could get a better view on the tank. I found a nice window to set up my rifle and got three shots off. Then I died. Apparently the shots didn't hit anything important.

This was actually fun, just surviving so long and I could have survived even longer if I had escaped after getting three shots off...but you know, maybe just one more would have done it, just one more...

If you're running half an hour to get somewhere, then you're doing it wrong. Make sure you spawn from a mission with a FRU that's relatively close to the town.

But sometimes the longer missions are the best :D

If you're running half an hour to get somewhere, then you're doing it wrong. Make sure you spawn from a mission with a FRU that's relatively close to the town.

But sometimes the longer missions are the best :D

In the past I have spent +1hour, as a sapper, chasing a PZs! only to get killed just before I can place a sapper charge on it.

We used to run to FBs from town you know ;). You guys got it easy.

Hi Ashtorak,

You shouldn't have to run for 30 minutes to get somewhere if you don't want to.

If you are defending, you spawn in the town so the enemy comes to you.

If you are attacking, the initial spawn point is the Forward Base - which can be 3km from the town you want to attack. So that would take a long time to walk there, but you don't need to.

A mission leader can run or drive a truck to town to set up a Mobile Spawn, also called a FRU (Forward Resupply Unit) that can be as close as 400m from the enemy buildings. That means you can spawn nice and close and don't have to run 30 minutes.

Of course, the enemy will try to destroy this FRU, so people on your side have to keep making more, or hiding them very well.

You can swap to different missions to find ones with FRUs up in different places. Sometimes they will be close, sometimes further away. It can be better to put it further away so that the enemy has less chance of finding it. But even 1km away is better than 3km. And using the sprint button you can cover 1km in about 3 minutes.

If there are no FRUs at all to spawn from on any of the missions, you can build one yourself if you are a the mission leader. Premium account players can start missions, if you are a free player you will need to join a mission and be made the leader, then you can build a FRU.

Also, congratulations on unlocking the AT rifle. It is a good idea to read the guide by parasit or dotsie. There is a thread in this forum with pictures showing you where to shoot each tank. Remember that the AT rifle just fires a big bullet. It can only make holes in light tanks, and then only in certain places where the armour is weak. It can be very difficult to kill a tank with the AT rifle without a lot of practice.

The AT rifle soldier also carries an explosive charge. This is a HEAT charge and can kill every tank in the game - but you have to put it in the right place and you only get 1. So it is a good idea to read the guide by parasit and use the charge on the bigger tanks.

The light scout cars (like the 232, Panhard, Vickers and Daimler) have very weak armour and you can kill the crew with the AT rifle at longer ranges. I think my best ever was killing a 232 at 250 meters.

I hope you keep enjoying yourself.

Edited by jon8798

Well, I exaggerated a bit, but still, often you don't hop immediately into battle and I actually enjoy that. Like in Bastogne today, it was almost a bit too much action. Got some good ATR training though. One tank didn't seem to like it very much and rolled kamikaze style over me and into a wall ôO

Thanks for the explanations!

what everyone else said.

you have to pick your mission depending on what you're interested in doing.

a lot of those far out spawn points are there to intercept enemy tanks or to make sure we can get infantry to overlooking hillsides quickly to take care of atg's etc.

Remember that an ATR has 1 HEAT (high explosive anti-tank) charge that can blow up any tank if placed correctly while the anti-tank rifle can only kill a few tanks.

Funny how it does start out that way, but in time on occastion you'll do it as a strategy. Until then it just about learning how to find the right missions. It is all a bit criptic, but give it a chance.

I find the mixture of both fast (instant) action and the part where you can walk/drive/fly for hours make the game interesting.

It is always your choice to do whatever you fancy. If it is about instant action just spawn at a spawnable if you fancy chasing some ets around open country or through a large town, just do so.

It's one of the unique options WWIIOL has to offer.

Good post ashtorak. But yeah, keep in mind you as well could have sapped the et with the ATR unit ;)

bb

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0