Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jon8798

What on Earth is "Warping"? - explained

2 posts in this topic

You may sometimes see other players screaming for you to "Warp in!!!" and be a little confused, after all, we're not playing Star Trek Online.

So, what is "warping"?

Super Quick Explanation

Get within 400m of a depot that your side owns (not an Army Base, factory or city building though)

Despawn, it will say "RTB to whatever-the-name-is depot"

In Ready Room, make sure the "mobile spawn" box is NOT ticked

DO NOT click on "cancel reservation"

Click on "Enter World"

Appear at the depot you just RTB'd to

Slightly more detailed explanation

"Warping" is a term used to explain a way of making use of the Return To Base feature in order to cover distance more quickly.

Basically, in WWIIOL if you despawn and infantry unit within 400m of a Depot (the flagged buildings that you can spawn from, also sometimes called CPs) that your side owns, then your unit "Returns to Base" there. Primarily, this was designed to allow you to end a mission and get full points as the unit you were using has not died or got lost. What it also does is add your unit to the spawnpool in that Depot.

So, if I am attackin the City of Antwerp and my side captures a depot, let's say the Antwerp-Oostmalle depot, then I can get within 400m of the building and despawn. It will say "RTB to Antwerp-Oostmalle depot" as I despawn. My soldier has now been added to the supply in that depot.

Once I've done that, I click on the "Ready Room" tab which will show that the unit I just despawned is still reserved for me. Whatever happens, I MUST NOT click on "cancel reservation" otherwise the unit will be lost to me. I then make sure that the "Mobile Spawn" tick box to the right above the map is unchecked. If it is checked, I will spawn at a FRU (is one is up for the mission). Then, I click on "Enter World" and I will spawn in the depot that I just RTB'd to.

This is really useful for keeping control of a depot that you've just captured. It saves you running 400m to get there whilst under fire. It is also a good way to make it harder for the enemy to find where your attacking FRU is because they can't see all the attackers running in from it. It only takes about 20-25 seconds to do. Of course, if there is a big spawn delay, it is probably faster to run in.

I would post a couple of screenshots to explain, but still don't have my PC back, so it will have to wait a couple of weeks - unless someone else here would be kind enough to post some?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0