Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
propa

WWIIOL-Propaganda

213 posts in this topic

I think these are really cool so please don't take this as criticism.

The British Army is not a Royal army. Air Force and Navy are royal, but only certain bits of the army are referred to that way.

Most Brits will read Royal army and think that's not right. I recommend taking out the royal.

Or you could say Royal Tank Regiment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tank_Regiment

thanks for the info :)

the zb 21st Army Tank Brigade is not a Royl Tank Reg. ?

the emipre has a "ROAYL TANK REG" ?

you have a link ?

thanks for the info :)

the zb 21st Army Tank Brigade is not a Royl Tank Reg. ?

the emipre has a "ROAYL TANK REG" ?

you have a link ?

Well, yes, it's true that the 21st Army Tank brigade consisted of 3 regiments each of which was a 'RTR' (royal tank regiment). I had not heard of this formation before by the way, I had to google it. I'm not really an expert.

I think the logic goes something like this: The King doesn't want to be associated with the PBI (poor bl**dy infantry) and so doesn't give the Army as a whole the right to call themselves 'Royal'.

Only selected units get to be Royal, the rest of them are the scum of the earth and really shouldn't be associated with Royalty. The tankers are amongst the exceptions he is willing to make.

Only selected units get to be Royal' date=' the rest of them are the scum of the earth and really shouldn't be associated with Royalty. The tankers are amongst the exceptions he is willing to make.[/quote']

At least early in the war, I believe most of the RTRs were infantry tank units. (As opposed to being equipped with cruiser tanks.) The Matilda II in your artwork was an infantry tank, so that would fit.

There also were British tank units that were not RTRs:

1st King's Dragoon Guards

2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays)

3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales's Dragoon Guards)

4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards

3rd The King's Own Hussars

4th Queen's Own Hussars

5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards

7th Queen's Own Hussars

8th King's Royal Irish Hussars

9th Queen's Royal Lancers

10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's Own)

11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own)

12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's)

13th/18th Royal Hussars

14th/20th King's Hussars

15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars

16th/5th Lancers

17th/21st Lancers

1st The Royal Dragoons

Royal Scots Greys

22nd Dragoons

23rd Hussars

24th Lancers

25th Dragoons

26th Hussars

27th Lancers

As you see, some of these units were "royal", others were associated by title with particular royalty but didn't have the "royal" title, and still others just had soldierly names.

In addition to the above list, there was another long list of "yeomanry" battalions/regiments, many of which had a territorial name in addition to their number. None of these were "royal", getting back to the royals vs. scum-of-the-earth point made above. Yeomanry units originally came from a cavalry concept, though not all were formed early enough to have actually originated as horse units.

Regarding the "recruiting poster" concept, I don't think there was a push to recruit for the "Royal Tank Regiment", or alternately the Royal Tank Corps. I think most of the recruiting was for individual battalions. However, I'd think that could be fudged to make the game-recruiting more general.

Edited by jwilly

"Royal" is a title bestowed on a Regiment for particular service. So plenty of infantry Regiments had the title too: The Royal Welch Fusiliers, The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment, The Royal Scots etc. There is nothing to stop a Regiment today that is not "Royal" from doing something that will gain it a Royal title later.

The army as a whole isn't called "Royal" because the Army doesn't actually exist in the same way that the Royal Air Force or Royal Navy does. What exists is, in fact, a collection of Regiments which we just refer to as "the army".

So, a member of the Royal Family may be the honorary colonel or the colonel-in-chief of a particular Regiment, but would not perform the same role for a squadron in the Air Force or a ship in the Navy - they might perform the role for the Navy or Air Force as a whole.

The Royal Family are perfectly happy to be associated with infantry Regiments and serve as honorary colonels and colonels-in-chief to a number of them.

Indeed, in terms of "class" in the Regimental system, the RTR are often looked down upon by others in the teeth arms. All the "proper" cavalry (like the Queens Dragoon Guards, 9th/12th Lancers etc) consider themselves better than the RTR because they have much longer histories stretching back to the cavalry charges at Blenheim and beyond. Whereas the RTR never had horses and were originally deemed to be socially inferior.

Even some infantry Regiments sneer at the RTR - as a young officer in a relatively senior county infantry Regiment (our antecedents were the 11th of Foot), I remember an older officer complaining about the RTR Officer's mess because they had a bar when one paid cash for drinks. In our mess drinks were brought to you by a member of the mess staff and expenses added to your monthly bill, so no need to handle cash. Having a bar was considered to be distasteful because the mess was also your home - just as you didn't want a commercial looking bar in your own house, you didn't want one in your communal mess.

Having said all that, I don't want people to get the wrong idea. Teasing people from other regiments about their history, habits, social status, accents or whatever is all good fun. It's not an example of British bullying. People like to talk up their own Regiment and joke about others as a way of building espirit des corps, but no one seriously believes they are better soldiers because of where they live or what their traditions are.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0