Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyboom

Please play your f2p for 3 weeks at least!

14 posts in this topic

Since your reading this please don't take this the wrong way the game is awesome! and the people for the most part are really nice but if your looking to play a game for fun well give yourself at least 3+ weeks to decide if you like this game! Reason I say this is because you will the see that there are many more vets playing the game than there are new people and because of that you have little chance at getting many kills if any! I myself have 187+ flying missions with 7 kills and was told that I was doing great! So if you like a game where you get killed over and over and told that your just not good enough! Well this game is for you and you will love it! So please save yourself the sub fee and play at least for 3 weeks or more before you sub up to see if you like it! Its not an easy game and after 3 weeks you will see that and fyi subbing up gives you no better planes to help you not sux! Its just that the game has been around for a very long time and the vets here are really good and have the best in game so you really don't have any chance at all really! But good luck to you and happy hunting :)

while i agree with trying before you buy... the game is a bit difficult to get great at instantly. Best advice is listen, watch and dont be afraid to ask anyone any questions.

and above all never give up on something you want to do well at. and with this game there are dozens of skills one can try to master!

I have counterpoint to that thought. I've only played for a month and I subscribed after a day. Had I not done that, I might have quit immediately, as I found myself quite angry some nights. Having invested the first months fee, it carried me over those nights when I felt I was merely feeding the allies with kill awards.

Additionally, within a week or so, I was (and I am a dismally challenged gamer) already benefitting from a rank level that was only attainable by subscribing. The benefits of rank in accessing equipment make the game far more fun. Had I selected Air Force, it would have been a different story, it would have been too difficult for me to start out with and very hard to level up prior to learning the game (plus from my experience flying offline, the practice in the air is very time consuming). In choosing Air Force as a newcomer, you selected a very difficult path to start out on. I'm giving myself a couple of months before doing any actual flying sorties. I would bet your record is outstanding for a newcomer.

Lastly, I experienced enjoyment from supportive teamwork even if I wasn't getting kills (choosing air, again may make this challenging). The game provides the capability to have a miserable kill/death, yet still contribute and feel good. The game isn't all about kills, and learning that is part of process. Learning to stay alive and be of value is rewarding, even as your k/d spirals down. I found capping, guarding, repairing and covering (those vets) to be a rewarding way to bridge my beginners lack of skill. With just a little familiarization, I was able to get this type of fulfillment immediately. At least with my mental outlook, subscribing made sure I took the time to get through that till I could start to get some kills. These comments don't apply directly to air force.

As an aside, on the issue of being told you aren't good enough. This is the internet, much as I hate it, there are people who lack civility and maturity, and they stick out like a sore thumb and attempt to ruin everyone's evening for their own ego satisfaction. They are here, but they are more in a minority in this game than any other out there (bold statement and I'm certain there may be some other game that is better in lacking infantile communication, but I've not heard of one). I'm quite sensitive to this too, but that is what the .ignore is for. If someone told you that you aren't good enough, they don't deserve to have you view their comments. My hat is off to you for being new AND flying, you clearly aren't "sux" or you wouldn't get any kills! You are trying to do something extremely difficult!

Two good perspectives there. I think it's one of those times where it really is down to the individual which path is best. Personally, when I started playing I never used anything other than a rifle for the first two months because I was too scared of "wasting" more useful units, so a free account would have been fine for me for quite a while.

But if you're a little more adventurous, or want the added flexibility that being able to create missions, drive trucks etc brings then you will benefit from a paid subscription quite early on.

I firmly believe that enjoyment as a beginner in this game is almost entirely down to finding decent people online at the same time as you who are prepared to help and have you along as part of their team. Running around by yourself can be depressingly hard. But if you log on to find a handful of guys prepared to tell you what's going on, give you a tow, build you a FRU, make you a part of the plan etc then it really is a great experience. You don't care about the graphics, the clunky UI, the occasional crashes and assorted bugs if you're having fun with a group of people who make you feel like a team member.

If you find the host squad you were auto-placed in isn't doing that because they don't play at the same time or on the same side as you, or you just don't seem to get along with them, then do feel free to leave them and ask around for another squad that is active and doing the sort of things you think are fun. No one will be angry about it.

Eagletree is right - there are some unpleasant people on the internet, and this game is no exception. Please ignore those few who hurl abuse at you for being a "noob" and act like they'd rather you quit - everyone else thinks they're total choppers too and already has them on the .ignore list.

Edited by jon8798

Well imo its unfair to put the weight of a new persons learning on others / corps. Why should a corp member / player have to hand hold every new player to show them how awesome this game is ?

Well imo its unfair to put the weight of a new persons learning on others / corps. Why should a corp member / player have to hand hold every new player to show them how awesome this game is ?

If you consider such other games, such as DAOC or WOW, they rely on people relying on each other. It's impossible in most circumstances to accrue XP or kit at the optimum rate or even conduct high level raids on mobs if your soloing and high level raids take practice to get right.

So teamwork and relying on other players is part of other games too. In wwiiol, things are.more.complex. You can't build.a group that you know can do x eng per second and take x eng in return, making the encounter viable.

Wwiiol is more.complex than that, not just due to the GUI, but all the iterations beyond the fixed, dependable mobs of fantasy worlds.

Just my opinion on why such teamwork manifests itself as it does in wwiiol.

Edited by Smythes

Smy I agree totally mate that is one thing the appeals to people that play online games! To be social be part of bigger team help its a great feeling to be apart of something bigger than you and for you to have a small part in the whole. But there is something broken when you have that day one or week 2 two player in the end game content. I guess I am totally wrong in thinking that there needs to be more people playing and that trying to figure out why there is not is like the the elephant in the room kind of thing everyone knows something is wrong but no one will say anything. The game is good but it could also have some small changes to help keep players paying and playing.

The game is complex to get into it's groove and only teaming can bring fun here I'd guess. Some examples with new free players last night who would have benefited from a contact from someone:

We had two new recruits show up at a forward base apparently after walking for some time. My son attempted to explain how to find good battles after he complained that the game was a little slow for him. I suggested he focus on attacks for awhile, but I've no idea if he even could differentiate. He needed a team. And of course the game is slow, if you spawn in at an FRU and go a different direction. Felt bad for the fellow, and for the game, since he was pretty clearly making his decision.

The second was worse, he was on Allies, he wandered up to my son's 232 from nowhere while we were guarding an FB. Of course we couldn't explain anything to him and only realized it was a totally new recruit after recapping sortie stats for the evening. The sad part was (and in retrospect, we both felt lousy, a kill is absolutely not worth losing a potential player), it appeared this guy had walked for 55 minutes from a different action, only to encounter a 232's machine gun... I'm reasonably certain he was not there to blow our FB ;). 55 minutes of low poly scenery followed by boom. Not a good first experience. Analysis showed he quickly respawned then signed off for the evening. He won't be back.

The auto-placement could help, but my experience and that of my son's friend, were that while we were both joined to 3CD on registering, we had no idea what that meant, and since no one contacted us, I let it go for several days and eventually found the "Leave" option. I even looked up 3CD to see what it was, but I couldn't see why an Allies brigade should be contacting an Axis player or how they could train for Axis. The auto-placement may need some tweaking to match the selected side.

I would agree with Jon about joining in with someone who can train, if the recruiters can get the attention of a recruit (though I even question if a new person can catch the PM). Someone may have contacted me, but I probably wouldn't have known it as I couldn't watch the chat window those first evenings. It's a complex problem to communicate the spirit of this game to a newcomer, but experienced players are probably the only ones who could accomplish that.

Eagle you have much more experience than I do in game and I am sure that as the game stands now your probably right but again this an issue that needs to be fixed and not by having to rely on the vets / squad members to hand hold people there first 20 hours or so of game play. How many of your game hours are you willing to spend helping every new person in the game ? Ok say there were 10k new accounts in last 2 months! There is not enough vet players to help them all your going to end up with having a bunch of burned out vets and new people leaving its a broken system atm. Its broken and it could be fixed at a minimal cost.

Edited by dannyboom

Eagletree's is a perfect example of a failed first experience for a new player.

There must be hundreds of people who go through that, leave, never come back and tell all their mates not to bother either.

The game is absolutely lousy at teaching the basic mechanics and how to have fun. CRS have made a complicated game, concentrated on improving the experience for existing players and just seemed to hope that new sign ups would work it out for themselves.

The "host squad" initiative starts to address it, but it's essentially an admission that the existing interface has failed when we rely on putting new players in squads and having experienced people teach them how it works.

New recruits too often end up in squads that are not active at the same time of day as them, or play for a different side than they want to. Someone who likes to try out both sides also loses out on any squad support when he switches.

I understand that the host code does not allow the auto-placement application to differentiate between sides. It can't allocate recruits based on which team they pick, and that isn't something that's going to be changed any time soon.

So, I totally understand your frustration danny. There are simply not enough hours in the day or patient people to teach newcomers how it all works.

The solution is for a UI that works. Something that explains how the game works and buttons to "take me to a battle" for those who can't get their heads around FBs and attack orders. I think I'm right in saying that all this is on the drawing board and CRS really want to do it, but it's a question of resources. With a tiny staff, a whole load of bugs to fix, new units and new FB mechanics to introduce; the fix for the UI just keeps getting nudged back as they deal with the closest crocodile to the canoe.

In the meantime, we must muddle on hoping to catch as many new players as we can and teaching them how it works, but accept that we will miss many, many more. The host squad system is flawed and imperfect, but it's the best we have for now.

In the long term, I agree with you. There is only so long we can go on having a high proportion of new signups just totally miss the point of the game. Eventually, the brand will be so damaged that new signups will peter out. Let's just hope we have a new UI before then.

First, I think you have more experience, I would be very lucky to RTB a Stuka just now ;). I might be able to handle some bushido missions, but that's about it.

It's a matter of numbers in training. I wandered into a Ciney defense and the leader had several new players, it appeared he was the only vet. I'm pretty sure it was staged training as he was calling them by first name, not screen name. I tagged along and helped out. I was very impressed how he directed them and explained things even while the action was occurring. This was in the course of a low-key defense with moments of intensity, and it was clearly a good experience for all of them. He had about 5 guys there, and I'll bet that is 5 that will stay and help populate the game. I even thought it was fun since the action was coordinated well.

You're right, you can't do 10K players that way, but I doubt CRS has the infrastructure to hold that many players, nor is that economically necessary as a business enterprise, 2K recruits that are trained, paying, and find the simulation intriguing are probably plenty to bolster the game and company. At a ratio of 5 recruits to 1 vet over a period of months, that's doable. The bigger problem is how to get recruits to work with vets. I see no easy way to do that since the normal game paradigm is to wander in and go it alone. As I mentioned, the auto-placement is a little random.

On the idea of being burnt, I'm not a vet, but I think I might be even more motivated if there was a way to hook up to a few recruits and form an impromptu small group with a single sub-objective supportive of what is happening in the bigger picture. That gives a feeling of realism to the simulation, but I'd bet most recruits have no idea what they are observing big-picture wise (in the heat of an attack for example).

If there is anything broken, I'd say it's the matchmaking for recruits and vets. I could see how to make changes in that, but any software change that requires a distribution is appropriately terrifying to a developer, because the cost can be extensive when things go wrong. Just saying no change is cheap. Since learning through hooking up is a people problem, I'd wonder if automated solutions would be the ticket anyway.

One thing that may be (I won't use the word broken) problematic, is the dependence on TS. While vocal communication wins battles, it's another layer for a recruit. In some cases, such as my son, self and his friends, we simply can't have access due to rural network access problems. If TS is required, you are going to rule out a percentage of recruits from training. It's tough to train with chat, though I believe it's possible. I'm inviting some of my friends to join, and we will be working only through chat. Unfortunately, typing and dying are rather synonymous for me ;).

I am considered a vet and what pleases me the most is helping them learn and passing what I know on to them to make them better killers. I get more enjoyment in taking a few men under my wing then the 100 plus kill mortar sorties. My point is if mOre vets share this mentality this game will thrive.

Edited by swiftcut

I'm a vet too and I excel in da sux, and I am proud of it. :D

Regardless, I always try to help people, old and new. Infact, I too have to ask questions every now and then. But the most important is to join a good squad. That makes the gaming experience so much more fun. Plus within a squad can you accomplish so much more then if you are a lonewolf.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0