Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ravender

How to find enemy?!

25 posts in this topic

Hi there. I'm new in the game but must say... i'm in love :).

I'm usually playing as Allies and from yesterday I have subscription. I'm from Poland so we have long traditions in fighting with Germans ;).

I'm 2 level now but I have a big problem with orientation in the game.

For example... I'm lying in bushes trying to find the enemy. I hear his gun but I can't see him. When I'm behind the bushes he couldn't see me but that works also in the other direction.

When I put my nose out from bushes... in 90% of times I get hit. The rest 10% is when he missed ... and I hit. :).

Germans have green uniforms so it's harder to see them. So.. from where you know, where the enemy is hiding?!

S! Ravender - welcome to the game :)

I would say a great indicator is the position of the enemy spawn points (Depots/FRU's) as this will help you guestimate approximate approach avenues of the EI.

Do you feel your sound does not help you find the direction they are coming from?

Hi Ravender!

Firstly, welcome to the game! It's always nice to see a new face around our great community :D

The entire game takes a decent amount of time to become capable at (as i'm sure you're already well aware).

The infantry side of the game is particularly tricky as there are all kinds of enemies EVERYWHERE... The Axis are generally very well coordinated when conducting attacks on towns & FB's and so you need to learn your own style of assault & defense, however there are some basic tips that helped me through when i first started:

1) If you're unsure of where the enemy is, simply stop and lie in waiting in some good cover or a decent bush, the amount of sounds in the game is amazing and you'll soon pickup that each unit type as a completely unique sound effect, so you can basically see your surroundings purely with audio alot of the time.

2) Watch carefully for muzzle flashes, the biggest give away for enemy infantry/tank positions is the muzzle flash, if they're sat in a bush then they'll generally lightup the surrounding area if they open fire on something (hopefully not you!! hehe)

3) Call in backup! WW2OL is nothing if not a team based game, if you're pinned and you fear that you'll die if you venture out of hiding to hunt a nearby enemy, alert your mission mates, squadmates or general target channel (F2) and request backup to your location.

4) Sometimes you simply cannot see your enemy without letting them see you first and dying to it, try perhaps looking with your binoculars (0 key) for any helmet shaped "bumps" on the nearby hill-lines, alot of enemy lmg's setup in plain sight as they know you'll be looking in the more complex places! ;)

5) In the very last case scenario, toss smoke grenades & frag grenades where you atleast guess the enemy might be or smoke yourself some cover and make a run for it... With frag grenades you're not so much hoping to kill the enemy but more to make him move so you can shoot him as he relocates.

There's many MANY tactics to infantry battles but nothing beats experience & co-operation with your side :) Just stick in there, keep enjoying the game and learn something from every death, you'll get better everytime! Don't be shy to get involved with a squad and ask for help from anyone when needed, we were all new once eh! :rolleyes:

Hope that helped

It's hard when you first start...

It is often best to stay at long range. When you are defending a town, try and work out where the enemy will come from, then move out in a different direction so that you are to the side of the advancing enemy. You are less likely to be seen and can spot the majority of enemies who just run straight towards the town.

Once you get used to seeing them and how they move, you will get better at fighting them head to head.

Thanks for your help.

I must say that today I have killed couple of Germans in close (town) and long distances. It seems that there is no "straight solution" :). It is always a matter of luck and experience, so I need to play. My target is to have minimum 2 kills on 1 death every time.

I'm wondering why didn't I heard about this game earlier!? And why didn't I learned more English ;P.

The funny thing is that I have read about Battleground on World of Tanks forum :D. Some guy was writing that Battleground has better tank destroy system.

I'm wondering why didn't I heard about this game earlier!? And why didn't I learned more English ;P.

Grats on your kills and your english is better than some Americans English! (j/k!!!!)

Spread the word - this game is unique and I hope you can continue to enjoy it.

Well. Today I've become level 3. I had today 7 kills in one spawn so it was quite good i think :).

But I was also little bit confused. I've found this place outside the town where enemy inf and tanks are comming from (tents etc.). I thought I become a hero. That our tanks will go there and kill everyone... but..no. No one was interested.

So my question is.. WHY? Why my information wasn't important?

Well. Today I've become level 3. I had today 7 kills in one spawn so it was quite good i think :).

But I was also little bit confused. I've found this place outside the town where enemy inf and tanks are comming from (tents etc.). I thought I become a hero. That our tanks will go there and kill everyone... but..no. No one was interested.

So my question is.. WHY? Why my information wasn't important?

Ah - you found the enemy forward base - basically forwarded bases are where the enemy spawn from too attack your town - engineer units can destroy them to turn the fb to yours, making it flip closer to their town so you could spawn from it.

(some towns are so close to each other they have no FB)

When people ask for "FB busts/takedowns" they are referring to attacks on these sites, when engineers need to place charges on the vehicle and infantry spawns to take them down.

FB's currently appear in fixed locations.

If you mention it on the air channel (55 for allied?) there is a chance air will attempt to any trucks you see leaving the FB, and its always handy to know if large numbers of armour are spawnign to attack the town, or trucks, for example.

Edited by Smythes

Ravender! It's good to see you posting on the forums. I really enjoyed your enthusiasm last night when we were defending Cauldry.

These guys are giving you great advice. From what I've seen of you in combat and from your numbers as a new player, I know you'll be a great asset to the Allied team. (7 kills on 1 sortie as a new player is fantastic in my opinion)

Just so you know, The reason that people did not seem interested in you finding the enemy forward base is because, with the game as it is, you can look at your map and see who has control of forward bases and where they are at all times. Also, ONLY engineer units can do anything to damage/destroy Forward bases, and it takes a group of them to do it, and if the base is guarded it can be a very hard thing to do. (OK actually an anti tank soldier can use his satchel to damage a forward base as well, but Anti tank only has one satchel and engineers have 4 each. It takes 12 satchels to destroy a forawrd base, so few people try to use Anti tank soldiers for this purpose. )

On the other hand, what you wnat to find is a smaller enemy unit called a FRU. It looks like couple of stacks of wooden boxes with a flag on top and a radio. You will often find them hidden in bushes. If it has a german flag on it, then you can blow it up with grenades or engineer satchels. This unit is called a FRU and is a mobile spawn for enemy infantry units. Kill the enemy FRU and you stop them from spawning more infantry; at least until they can rebuild it or make a new one. If you see one mark the map as "enemy truck" and let everyone know on the f2 chat button. This is because FRUs are often guarded and if you are killed it lets others know where to go to destroy it.

Also, join a squad! A squad will work to help you learn faster and can be great fun to play with on a regular basis.

I knwo I've posted a lot, so I'll stop for now. If you see me in game say hi! I'd be glad to fight beside you again!

S!

Well... At that day I have destroyed one FRU (and killed 2 soldiers standing next to it).

Thank you for explanation. I try to learn so much as I can and now I know, that destroy a FB isn't so simple that I thought ;). I wanted to throw 2 granades on it but now I know, this was a stupid idea heh.

Well. I had join also a squad but I must say... I don't really understand how it works. I don't know who gives orders.. where should I go etc. I have installed TS, but there is a lot of noise on it (for ex. when someone is listening the music during the game and his talking).

Maybe when I could join a Polish squad it could have sense, but I didn't find such yet.. So now I'm still playing as an lonely wolf :P

I'm also glad that someone remembers me from the game :). I thought that I am quite anonymous in Battleground. I didn't suspected, that someone is watching 8)

My target is to have minimum 2 kills on 1 death every time.

That would be very impressive. I cannot manage to do that after 3 years of playing.

Squads are all a little bit different. Some of them have strict organisations and one or two people will give orders that must be followed. Some are just groups of people who like to talk together and don't really follow orders. Some are in the middle.

I don't know if there are any Polish language squads in the game, but playing as a lone wolf is fine - I did it for over 2 years - and you will always find other lone wolves who will be happy to team up together for a specific task.

I hope you keep on enjoying the game, good luck.

Well... At that day I have destroyed one FRU (and killed 2 soldiers standing next to it).

Thank you for explanation. I try to learn so much as I can and now I know, that destroy a FB isn't so simple that I thought ;). I wanted to throw 2 granades on it but now I know, this was a stupid idea heh.

Well. I had join also a squad but I must say... I don't really understand how it works. I don't know who gives orders.. where should I go etc. I have installed TS, but there is a lot of noise on it (for ex. when someone is listening the music during the game and his talking).

Maybe when I could join a Polish squad it could have sense, but I didn't find such yet.. So now I'm still playing as an lonely wolf :P

I'm also glad that someone remembers me from the game :). I thought that I am quite anonymous in Battleground. I didn't suspected, that someone is watching 8)

Maybe you'll go on to be the leader of a Polish squad and get the huge Polish gaming community involved in WW2OL! ;)

Do it, Ravender! YOU HAVE THE POWER! :D

Sounds like you are coming along wonderfully and welcome to the community.

As you play more, you may develop a favor a few of the tricks that have been discussed or you have discovered more than others. One that I am personal too is covering the doors of a spawnable CP (re: one that will allow your peeps to spawn in town if captured) whether attacking or defending. I have a lot of rank, so I do not worry about capture or defend points. Instead, I like to find a nice perch on the second floor of a building or clump of bushes that gives me a good view of both CP doors if possible. On defence, it takes a little longer for the enemy to make their way into town and take a CP. On offence, as soon as we take a spawnable CP in a town, the enemy shows up rather quickly and you have a fair number of targets.

Enjoy the game and do not be afraid to ask for help.

hehe i remember you in there =) i love new players like you... you WANT to know how the game goes and try to get in... so many of i want to get in game, is only 5 - 30 minutes and then he leave game and never go back, sadly... =(

I have found today stats panel (campaign -> combat stats). I'm playing as US soldier but I don't have in PERSONAS tab USA soldiers. Why?!

I have found today stats panel (campaign -> combat stats). I'm playing as US soldier but I don't have in PERSONAS tab USA soldiers. Why?!

USA is new and it's still not fully implemented they still need Stats, Paratroopers,Trucks, Mortarmen, Air and the Stuart Tank.

The stats page is not fully updated to see American stats - but you can do it. Wait until you are killed as an American. Then log into stats and do a search for the player who killed you. Open the sortie details where he killed you as an American and click on your name. It should take you to your American stats.

I'm a little bit frustrated today. I saw that german halftruck has set a EFRU (those boxes with flag). There was a soldier sitting in this truck.

I came closer and put a explosives on his butt (I was playing as Engineer). After explosion the truck was standing like it was before.

From this truck a soldier has jumped out. I have shot at him from close distance (about 2m) direct in his head and.. NOTHING! He has killed me...

So.. two questions:

Why didn't I destroyed this halftruck?

Why sometimes soldiers are bullet proof?

Edited by ravender

First, the Halftrack:

The damage model for vehicles doesn't cover every single thing on the vehicle. Only the important parts. So a halftrack will (probably) have the driver, the engine and the tracks as parts that can be destroyed. A high explosive satchel on the back of it will do lots of damage to the back end of the vehicle, but there is nothing there to damage that will kill the vehicle. In reality, you would have ripped off a lot of metal and maybe twisted the back end badly, but it might still be able to drive away. So, you need to put the charge on the engine - or just shoot the driver. That will kill it and is much easier to do.

Second, the enemy soldier:

Are you sure that you hit him? Sometimes we think we have hit someone, but actually missed. If you saw blood come from him then you hit him.

Sometimes, you can hit people and not kill them. Either you wound them, or the problem is caused by lag. Because we are all playing in different parts of the world, there is a delay between you doing something, your computer telling the game server in Texas that you have done it, and the server telling the computer of the other guy that you are trying to kill.

If the other guy shot you first, then the game has decided you are dead but your computer has not got the message yet. So you can still fire and you think you have hit the enemy, but actually he fired first so you die and your shot is ignored.

I think it might be a little bit more complicated than that, but basically the delay effect of all our computers talking to one server in Texas causes some of these problems, and we call it "lag".

I'm a little bit pissed off. I've tried to destroy a truck. I've shot at the driver (30m) and... he is still sitting. So.. another shot. Same situation.. so I put about 10 bullets on that guy and boom.. truck has disappeared. Well. Ok...

Now.. I'm trying to kill a flak gun. Two guys are sitting on it. So.. I have shot 2 times on one guy, and 2 shots on another one (also 30m). The flak is still going and going so ok... game mechanics but I thought it will also disappear but no. A tank has killed me and what? 0 kills :\.

It sux that I don't see if my shooting is effective. The game has 11 years and there shouldn't be such bugs! From now one I know, that I shouldn't call this game a simulator...

The crew of flak guns are quite easy to kill, if you hit them in the body. Make sure you're not hitting the seat or some other part of the gun that's in the way.

Did you get any credit for hitting the gun? Not a kill, but a damage? If not, you might have been missing - this can happen at close range if you have accidentally changed the range on your rifle sights.

You could have been hitting non vitals, hitting the gun parts itself instead of the crew, or simply missed which is very common at close range if you have accidentally upped your sights, resulting in you shooting over their heads.

The thread started with hiding in bushes. I believe it's is still true that the 'eyes' you see with are actually lower... almost at chest level. So, in bushes, when you push out a bit to look around... much of you comes into view and you are a better target than you would think.

I've been playing for10 years and still can't figure a (legal) way around this issue. It is the same for both sides, though.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0