• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chogin

Constructive Feed back from a New Joiner

11 posts in this topic

First off, I love the game. Long time Arma player, and Arma2.

From a New player to the game, I don't have to tell you that the game is a bit hard to pick up and there is a big learning curve. So I went on a quest to find information on how to not be so nooby.

I also play a lot of Battlefield Series of games, where you can just pick it up, and the controls are intuitive, and consistent to other games of that nature. I also know from playing Arma and the original Operation Flashpoint, that simulators such as these and WW2 Online have way more controls. Sometimes daunting controls.

1) I searched Google and found a bunch of VERY old posts, videos, reference cards, etc..... which considering the maturity of the game, thats understandable. Not much you can do about that, Nothing made sense and it confused me. Commands didn't seem to jive to what I found in game. Example: Deploy weapon. It's not "D" but "Z", but I found many references to "D".

2) Help Chat has been great and found the community very helpful. But new players coming from the immature troll ridden games, may not be too willing to expose their "newness" to a game that is very different such as this. Fearing of getting attacked by "the kiddie trolls", may not speak up.

3) I found many pages referencing "Dead Pages", on this site. Links on this site, simply don't load. Nor can I get back to the main page. example: http://csr.wwiionline.com/scripts/services/personas.jsp and http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Training (Looking for information on how to play the game, new users would look here. to See if you want to even download and setup a free to play.

4) Game Info Header, About the Game - Choosing English drop down, isn't in English.

5) About the Game - Dead Page

Summary: If I'm a new user, I want to see what the game is about. I see it on STEAM and the Facebook page doesn't inform me much. It looks more like a community hang out. I search Google, and find old pictures, and video's and the main home page. I click on the main home page, to find out what the game is about, only to find dead pages, bad links, So it APPEARS to be a dead game, that is struggling, and little support or effort. The only reason I pushed on through, is because it does get good reviews from long time players posting in other places. (That's just how it appears).

It was hard to find how the game has matured, or if it's even active. I understand that there is a big push to get more players, but I'm afraid, the casual gamer or people looking for MORE information, won't go through what I went through to see if I even wanted to do the Free To Play. You're promoting people to come to your website and check it out, but with the exception of a couple of static screenshots, and a couple older video's, there's nothing to really get me to pull out my wallet.

Lots of competition for gamers attention out there.... have to grab em quick.

Nice I used to be like you :) I came from Battlefield, H&D 2 and OFP.

I found the game when it was launching in Europe from a magazine in a very small text about but It said the game had a very large map with half the size of Europe were you could use tanks, ships, planes and infantry, I instantly pre-order the game and start downloading old squad videos to learn how to play.

I was a noob back then and my K/D was lower than 1 but I always try to learn and improve until now where I can use all ground equipment :)

If you give it time you will enjoy a lot the game and it will fulfill almost all your FPS needs, I still sink a lot of time ingame and always have a good time.

There are many things that are old and need improvement with this game the problem is that money and subscribers come and go, especially they don't come in waves more in drops :) so CRS never has enough money to significantly invest and improve the game and most of those funds get diluted by the game maintenance costs.

You might not see it but there are considerable more sections on this forum only for subscribers more active when you can directly see and talk with the game developers, get more help & information.

I would advice you to do so since 12$ or 9$ is a fair price for the game.

Edited by fxmkorp

First of all....welcome to the game, and thanks for your input. :).

Regarding your question about new player info, there is a thread in this very forum directed at new players.

I've subscribed.

A little more background. I used to be in the game industry. Imported the Playstation 1 before it was launched in the US as well as 2nd largest distributor of SNK in the US and had world wide distribution.

What I think I was trying to say, is that since there is a very small (if at all) budget for promoting the title, then you need to rely on the tools at hand. Fortunately, with social media and high bandwidth, this makes it easier.

On the flip side, you need to grab everyone that sees the info and reacts to it. You have about ten seconds to lock someone in. Everything MUST work. But when they do react, you can't have bad links on the main page, you can't have to force users to dig around in a forum to find something. When they still don't know what they are looking at. There is really nothing on the main web page to lure me in any further. The facebook page tells me nothing, because it's a community hang out. So your social media penetration just died. You have literally 5 "clicks" total to get someones attention to the point of interest or they are gone. I believe in independent developers but you can't use an excuse of no time or money for advertising. Not when a bunch of this is free, and there's no excuse for having dead links on the website that explains the game. It costs nothing to fix dead links.

I just sent the link to the web page to a colleague. Told him I was playing this game and what he thinks. I watched as he went to the link, clicked around, found all the dead links, and closed it. He's not interested. He'll look at it "later" because I told him it's worth checking out.

I'm not complaining, but you're loosing subscribers with every click.

Chogin - really good to have some constructive feedback - and welcome to the WWIIOL community!

Nice we always need a "virgin" feedback that never tried the game :D, long time subscribers have adapted to the game and some issues no longer pops on our radar.

First off, I love the game. Long time Arma player, and Arma2.

From a New player to the game, I don't have to tell you that the game is a bit hard to pick up and there is a big learning curve. So I went on a quest to find information on how to not be so nooby.

I also play a lot of Battlefield Series of games, where you can just pick it up, and the controls are intuitive, and consistent to other games of that nature. I also know from playing Arma and the original Operation Flashpoint, that simulators such as these and WW2 Online have way more controls. Sometimes daunting controls.

1) I searched Google and found a bunch of VERY old posts, videos, reference cards, etc..... which considering the maturity of the game, thats understandable. Not much you can do about that, Nothing made sense and it confused me. Commands didn't seem to jive to what I found in game. Example: Deploy weapon. It's not "D" but "Z", but I found many references to "D".

2) Help Chat has been great and found the community very helpful. But new players coming from the immature troll ridden games, may not be too willing to expose their "newness" to a game that is very different such as this. Fearing of getting attacked by "the kiddie trolls", may not speak up.

3) I found many pages referencing "Dead Pages", on this site. Links on this site, simply don't load. Nor can I get back to the main page. example: http://csr.wwiionline.com/scripts/services/personas.jsp and http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Training (Looking for information on how to play the game, new users would look here. to See if you want to even download and setup a free to play.

4) Game Info Header, About the Game - Choosing English drop down, isn't in English.

5) About the Game - Dead Page

Summary: If I'm a new user, I want to see what the game is about. I see it on STEAM and the Facebook page doesn't inform me much. It looks more like a community hang out. I search Google, and find old pictures, and video's and the main home page. I click on the main home page, to find out what the game is about, only to find dead pages, bad links, So it APPEARS to be a dead game, that is struggling, and little support or effort. The only reason I pushed on through, is because it does get good reviews from long time players posting in other places. (That's just how it appears).

It was hard to find how the game has matured, or if it's even active. I understand that there is a big push to get more players, but I'm afraid, the casual gamer or people looking for MORE information, won't go through what I went through to see if I even wanted to do the Free To Play. You're promoting people to come to your website and check it out, but with the exception of a couple of static screenshots, and a couple older video's, there's nothing to really get me to pull out my wallet.

Lots of competition for gamers attention out there.... have to grab em quick.

Very good post. I hope XOOM and OHM see your input (staff at CRS and Playnet, they like to know these things).

It does seem like a dead game when you go looking for info and only find old stuff out there. A lot of that old stuff still applies though and it's enough to get you started. Most of the guides are player generated and can be found in the forums which are probably locked to free accounts. I think the company can do something about this pretty quickly if they want to.

If you make the jump to pay to play, make sure you join up with a squad. You will get a lot more help from a small and dedicated group of players. It's not that the rest of us are ignoring you, it's because the game gets very intense and a lot of noob questions go unanswered during game play. Squad play is much better and you will get lots of help from your teammates.

Most veteran players will only take offense to your presence if you screw up an attack or waste equipment (another reason to join a squad). I think it's very hard for new players to understand how easy it is to completely wreck an attack that's been setup. Throw smoke, fire your weapon too soon or on an attack where stealth is required, and you are in the doghouse with lots of people yelling at you :). This game requires a lot of teamwork and attention to detail. I don't think a manual could ever be written well enough to make that clear to a new player.

Hopefully XOOM can link some of the player created guides for the free trial players (if he hasn't already). If you do subscribe, look for posts from a guy named dotsie. He is one of the best, and on his own time has created some great one page guides for new (and old) players. There are a lot more players who've done the same thing and maybe they can put links in here for you to view.

Not sure if you can see this link but it is a guide from a player, karellean, that deals with another important aspect of the game. This is the command and map operations part which some people enjoy more than the shoot-em-up part.

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=386694

Even if you're not interested in that part of game play, it's good to see what they do and it will make you a better player from the start if you understand it.

The game is enhance with squads but squads don't mean teamwork, you can help your team with no squad like marking enemies and updating marks especially when it comes to moving tanks, reporting the enemies on chat, patrolling cps, driving a truck when someone requests it to tow a gun or give ammo, joining a Para mission, following mission leader orders, capping together with your team, sending PM's directly to a tank about an enemy tank or enemy ATG incoming to him is what I consider teamwork this all can be done without a squad..

I learn to play the game mostly alone by experimentation and learning from my mistakes it might take you years but it's not impossible and a part of the active player population even vets don't have squads.

Thanks,

I re-read my post, and it sort of came off as a rant. It wasn't intended to be. I really like to support indie developers and small shops, and I see a bunch of really dedicated people. I see a real attempt to get things on Steam, and sometimes when you are too close to the trees, you miss the forest. Or something.

What comes first, the subscriber or the content? Having a functional slick website is easy and somewhat cheap. How many college students would love the op to design a first class, functional website as an intern? On an international product? Plenty....

Banner swaps and cross linking facebook pages - free

Free Signatures for Subscribers, pretty close to free, all linking back to the website.

But you need the website to actually function. What would happen tomorrow, if Steam says "Ok, blammo, you got Green Voted in."? First thing they will do is come to the website. They will find a website that appears to be out of date, and broken. The thought would then be.... "this is the quality I am to expect...." and click away. Never to return.

Again, I want to see independents make it. You have to think like Electronic Arts with a budget of "Eat at Joe's".

You mean this new website discussion ;):

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=410119

The WW2OL has gotten it's up & downs but this at least it filter the real gamers that keep playing while believing BE concept is not only the future but still remains unique.

The more games you play especially with features that can enhance this game and the better you understand BE the more valuable feedback you can provide, the more brains we have brainstorming and discussing ideas, concepts & what to prioritize the better the chance we have of find the best solutions.

Imagine in my case being non-native English player I sometimes reread some of my threads and LoL at some of my mistakes or poorly made phrases, so you are not alone here ;)

For what you mention already you are not a typical player and your background is for me what the marketing target group should be all about, hope you get good on the game.

See you on the battlefield as friend or foe :D

I also recognize myself in this.

For me this game is "only" 2 and a half years old, and I have to admit that most of the stuff I know was taught by squad members, or as for many else: trying out stuff.

The front page with "headlines" from the front line is kind-a-cool, but it wasn't until later I saw that nothing was linked to the game, except the map, and the map is done far more better by player-made tools like OKW-map (http://lagus.org/webmap/). So I (like many others) have stopped visiting the front page, and now we get blind. As chogin says, some information is there, no doubt, but a lot of stuff that is selling the game is not there. Like a presentation of the damage model... (could give many more examples)

But there are other resources give some good basic information:

The official (internet driven) Wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online )

And the internal game Wiki ( http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Main_Page )

(although it is down for the moment)

This last wiki may not be 100% up-to-date, but it is actually something I use a lot even today 2 years after I joined the game. And this is probably because this game does not include a manual any-more (it did in the earlier days I think, and you got a map included in the physical box)

What is needed is that some of the veterans/newbies need to post updates on blogs, with screenshots and/or movies.

When I come to think of it, most of my AARs get posted in a secure part of my squads forum... and seeing this post by chogin makes me realize in a way that it is not helping the game. (unless players join my squad of course)

And video-wise. I have also seen a lot of cool edited videos from like 2006 (like one of my own squad recruitment videos:

) but with todays standards maybe new players are looking for reality. How is the game actually played from the moment you click on your game icon?

So will I change and start a wwiionline blogg?

Probably not.

My days as a student are over, and time is so very limited.

If I get 3hours free, I rather play in-game.

I would like to something like this (and those that know me know that I write ****-load of to much text) but I just do not have the time.

The solution?

I would vote for a player type that is reporter.

Reporters have micro blogs linked to the "news pages" for each side (on main page), and these reporters get payed for each read that post gets.

Meaning a good post should give some buck, but not much.

Perfect for students that try the game.

Edited by wockawocka

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0