Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gav00

WW2 era weapons

16 posts in this topic

I took a trip around various battlefields in France, Germany and Belgium a few years ago and managed to buy the metal remains of a German K98 rifle. I purchased it just a few meters away from where it was found in a hedgerow.

Various components of the firing/loading mechanisms have been worked to a shine, which (to me at least) says it has been fired a fair few times, though unfortunately the bolt is missing.

Just to the side of where the bolt would be, is a chunk of metal which looks as though it could be the mounting for a telescopic sight (though I am no expert). This metal mounting is fairly thick but has been snapped clean off.

I have the remains of the rifle on display and often look at it and reflect upon the countless stories which could be associated with it.

Does anyone else have any WW2 era weaponry?

I took a trip around various battlefields in France, Germany and Belgium a few years ago and managed to buy the metal remains of a German K98 rifle. I purchased it just a few meters away from where it was found in a hedgerow.

Various components of the firing/loading mechanisms have been worked to a shine, which (to me at least) says it has been fired a fair few times, though unfortunately the bolt is missing.

Just to the side of where the bolt would be, is a chunk of metal which looks as though it could be the mounting for a telescopic sight (though I am no expert). This metal mounting is fairly thick but has been snapped clean off.

I have the remains of the rifle on display and often look at it and reflect upon the countless stories which could be associated with it.

Does anyone else have any WW2 era weaponry?

Should post some pics of it. I love relics.

As far as folks with WWII weaponry there are tons on here. What are you wanting to see?

Yeah I should take some snaps of it some time.

I'm just interested to see what people have collected, Each old used weapon has something eerie about it. I guess there is a lot of old rifles laying around, the small shops around the battle fields are full of them.

But I have never seen much in the way of artillery/tank shells or parts of tank tracks, mortars etc.

Anything which tells it's own story basically.

Here is a display I have at the Audie Murphy museum.

1952 Harrington & Richardson M1 Garand

1944 Inland M1 Carbine

1944 DOU K98

1942 Lee Enfield No4

M53 (postwar MG42) on a Normandy camo lafette tripod.

The two bayonets are a German 1916 pioneer Butcher blade bayonet and a British 1918 No3 Bayonet

001-2.jpg

Here is two of mine at the range. A M1919A4 and the M53.

DSC00692.jpg

You appear to have my dream collection lol! Have any/all seen combat?

They all look to be in very good condition.

This is a time where I wish I lived in the USA, in the UK it is now approaching impossible to get your hands on any type of firearm, even if it is deactivated

This particular M1 Garand was post Korean war so probably sat in an armory until the M14 replaced it. My other two Garands are both 1945 rifles and probably saw action during the Korean war.

The K98 most definitely saw action. The stock has been replaced with a 1937 stock at some point in time. Later all the waffenampts were peened over. Most likely during Israeli service.

The M1919A4 was a WWII weapon that after the 1960's was sold to Isreal where they converted it to 7.62. About 10 years ago a ton of the M1919s were imported as parts kits and this was one of them. I built it into a semi-auto and can shoot 8mm, 7.62mm and 30.06. All I need to do is change barrels, and the booster. If I stop being cheap I will get the 7.62R kit for it so I can shoot that ammo as well.

For most of my stuff there is no way to tell what kind of service it had as the US never tracked serial numbers except on a VERY limited basis.

Here is another shot of the MG42 at Brent Mullins open house 2 years ago.

DSC01089.jpg

A nice shot of the 1944 Inland carbine

DSC00467.jpg

The K98

DSC00165-1.jpg

Edited by svt40

A few shots of the M1919 during the build.

DSC00388.jpg

Looking inside the receiver

DSC00391.jpg

Feeding the beast with WWII German 8mm ammo. I had to stop as it was too unreliable after 70 years.

DSC00450.jpg

Lee Enfield No5 "Jungle" carbine. This one was made by BSA in 1945. I'm still on the hunt for a bayonet for her.

DSC00346.jpg

My Russians. 1944 Mosin Nagant 91/30 sniper, 1942 Mosin Nagant 91/30 and my 1941 Kovrov SVT-40. The jacket is a 1943 dated "Telogrieka". The helmet is an M1936

Picture_0387-1.jpg

1943 M1911A1 made by Remington Rand. It was rebuilt at a later date by Rock Island Arsenal. I bought it in 1987 from a pawn shop for $275.

DSC00163.jpg

Last one for now is a 1916 Erfurt Russian capture PO8 Luger. The Russian captures were usually re-finished and force matched by "X"ing out the serial numbers on the small parts and re-stamping a number that matches the frame. On rifles they would use an electropencil.

DSC00164.jpg

You have made me the most jealous person on earth lol, thanks for all the info! its a beautiful collection :)

More boredom till Rules of Engagement comes on so here is some more WWII gun pr0n.

Here is a 1921 dated M1903A1. This was sporterized when I purchased it and I put her back ti military config. I just need to get the correct C stock for her.

DSC00349.jpg

A 1942 Lee Enfield No4. It's been at the museum for a while now so I do not remember who made it.

DSC00359-1.jpg

1944 Mosin Nagant sniper. Shoots like crap but still fun to shoot. (barrel is worn out and keyholes badly)

DSC00352.jpg

The 3 M1 Garands. Top is a March 1945 Springfield. Middle is a 1955 H&R. (first post I put the wrong date)Bottom is an April 1945 Springfield. . Top and middle came from the CMP and the bottom was a Korean import from the 80's.

DSC00328.jpg

My Kovrov Svt-40. It is estimated that Kovrov only made between 30,000-60,000 SVTs before being converted back to MG manufacture in 1941. It is the rarest of the SVT manufacturers. It has a PPSH41 sling which was quite common with SVT's. The stock unfortunately belongs to an AVT.

Picture_0017-1.jpg

The 2 M1 Carbines I got from the CMP. The top one is a 98% correct 1944 Inland. I will not be restoring this one as the stock has the rebuild marks for Anniston Army Depot. The bottom one is a 5 digit very early Inland. I am trying to restore this one but the very early parts are like hen's teeth fillings. Ultra rare and expensive.

DSC00277.jpg

Edited by svt40

Here are some things to look for when looking at No5 Enfields. There are a ton of fakes out there made from No4's. But if you know what you are looking for they are easy to spot.

Left to right, No5, No3m No4.

DSC00162.jpg

Lightening cut to the receiver. It also only came with an 800m sight.

DSC00157.jpg

Bolt differences and also lightening cut on this side under the sight as well. No4 underneath does not have these.

DSC00158.jpg

Lightening cuts on the barrel of the No5

DSC00314.jpg

800m rear sight

DSC00327.jpg

Better view of lightening cuts on bolt side.

DSC00317.jpg

My dad still has the Japanese Arisaka with a chrysanthemum stamped on the receiver he traded his cap for from a Japanese Solider in Okinawa in 45. He fought in the pacific from 43-45. Just after the war ended, he was sent ashore with others to disarm a port held by the Japanese. He did not speak the language and ended up trading his sailors cap to a Japanese solider for his rifle. He wrapped the rifle in masking top and wrote his mother’s address on it and she received it a few weeks later. He also has several Japanese flags, and other souvenirs. He and my mom are in their 90's and his memory is still very good.

In the 90s, I bought a 1911 pistol for target shooting.

The gun came to the Swedish gun dealer I bought from, straight from a Russian depot.........

It was some kind of WWII support from USA to Russia, the 1911 was unfired and green parkerised.

On the gun there was text saying;

"property of the US army" or something to that effect.

I don't own the gun now, and sorry I have no pics.

Wow old thread making a comeback. Interesting story about the Arisaka. Something I have yet to add to my collection.

I know others out there collect firearms and militaria. It can't just be me.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0