Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
creusot

Which computer, ideally

22 posts in this topic

I am getting a new computer to hopefully get the game running again (not the only reason though, but the occasion, in any case).

Ideally, what would I be looking for in a computer to get the best out of flying in the game? In terms of graphics card, RAM, CPU, I don't know what ...? Any advice?

I am getting a new computer to hopefully get the game running again (not the only reason though, but the occasion, in any case).

Ideally, what would I be looking for in a computer to get the best out of flying in the game? In terms of graphics card, RAM, CPU, I don't know what ...? Any advice?

the gustaf xoxoxoxo

are you going to build or buy built?

C'est la question.

Please tell us you are building. You will get much more bang for your buck that way, and alot of "big box" stores will sell you outdated prefabbed crap with subpar components.

You should start with a budget, and seek the guidance of those who have done this before. You will get lots of good advice in this forum.

http://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/

check articles like this one to start. You want a good balance of GPU and CPU power for this game, but you also don't need to overspend on a super whiz bang comp (that is, unless you want to).

I'm also treating myself to a rig for xmas :)

The game is pretty CPU intensive these days and kind of gpu intensive. The rig I'd recommend depends on what you want to do with it and how much you have to spend, I could put together a barebones rig for $500 or a complete rig for $10,000 if money was no problem. And if you do photoshop or play other games it'll change what I'd recommend to put in a rig.

I have 3 screens, use photoshop for one job, a whole host of other tools at times doing some work as a software engineer and play other games too. So the rig I'm putting together has pretty OTT specs that'd be of no help.

Edited by blipoop

Well…..I am sure there will be some who will laugh at this and scoff and be dismissive but here it goes.

Yes they are more money, but consider buying an iMac. I am running a early 2010 iMac with an i7 chip in it, video card that is 1 gb. I put in 16gb ram but really 4 gb would be fine for this game.

Here's my reasons.

I can count on my hand the number of CTD's I have had over the last 3 years. I think 3 when running the mac side.

Frame rates have remained where they have been since I got the machine 30-60 fps regardless of flying, heavy in town infantry/tank battles …whatever. It just stays there and it's always playable.

I run windows 7 enterprise 64 bit native, not virtual through bootcamp and it's the same as running a typical PC.

I run windows native software and so can play many other PC windows games etc.. Arma II, War Thunder, Heroes and Generals, World of Tanks..etc..etc..

I use TS and there are joysticks, rudders etc.. that will work whether you are in the mac OS X or in the Windows 7, 8 etc…

If I am on the windows side I do at times get the crashes like others by the way, even after putting in the patch etc..

No I am not a Mac fan boi. I have run windows systems and used to run pc labs, though a while back.

While I hear my pc brethren cursing that they CTD'd again or that they need to reboot, sometimes several times a session. I just wonder how my iMac just does what it is supposed to do with nary a complaint..

If you were to do this you might want to double check on accessory stuff for the mac side, though the stuff will work on the windows side.

Anyway, there are likely PC builds that will do the same and be cheaper. On the other hand I have a very stable gaming platform windows or mac and get to use both systems and yes you can use multiple screens.

oh…and on the mac side….I don't know how or why, but viruses are pretty well never a problem. Must be something with that unix core system they use I suppose.

Something to think about anyway.

Salute.

Edited by elfin

Advice - pick the most expensive components you can buy. Really, buy a quality PSU.

Used to be that sweet spot for CPUs was $100-$200. Spend more and you get better performance, but at a significant cost. For this game specifically, multiple cores don;t really help, pick the CPU with the most powerful core. That could be highest frequency.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

ASUS Maximus V Formula Republic of Gamers motherboard

Intel Core i5 3330 3 GHz 4 cores

Kingston HyperX blu 8 GB Mem : 2 x 4 G

GeForce GT 630

That will keep you going for years to come

C'est la question.

Please tell us you are building.

I am not really the tech guy and I haven't done this before, so I find it intimidating, though I do see the advantage, theoretically.

There is at least one online store where you can pick parts from all the various producers and they assemble the machine for you for a rather symbolic fee. I might be going for that as a second best solution.

The game is pretty CPU intensive these days and kind of gpu intensive. The rig I'd recommend depends on what you want to do with it and how much you have to spend, I could put together a barebones rig for $500 or a complete rig for $10,000 if money was no problem.

It's definitely closer to the former than to the latter margin!

I play flight sims and I do some basic video cutting. I need these two things to run reasonable smoothly, that's all. Everything else is just simple photo editing and the normal Office stuff.

ASUS Maximus V Formula Republic of Gamers motherboard

Intel Core i5 3330 3 GHz 4 cores

Kingston HyperX blu 8 GB Mem : 2 x 4 G

GeForce GT 630

That will keep you going for years to come

A GT 630????

Cmon bro:confused:

Crue, what size monitor you going to run?

Dual monitors?

Building a PC is easy as pie now a days.

Want my advice, go with the CPU with the highest frequency.

Stick to an Nvidia GPU for this game

It's definitely closer to the former than to the latter margin!

I play flight sims and I do some basic video cutting. I need these two things to run reasonable smoothly, that's all. Everything else is just simple photo editing and the normal Office stuff.

Anything good for photoshop is good enough for the game.

Speed is king on the CPU end. 3.5 or above is a safe bet.

I'd go Intel.

That AMD has 8 cores and i swear i read somewhere that those CPU's had trouble running programs that relied on single cores...

Google it

Crue, what size monitor you going to run?

Dual monitors?

Isn't 1920x1080 the usual resolution now for a 24" or 27"? I am currently on two legacy screens, an 18" and a 19" with widely different colors, so any single big screen is an improvement. :D

I presume you're putting together a whole system? If I was you, given a budget and what you're doing with the pc I'd put together a rig like this:

Funny, that's about the prize range and components I had arrived at later last night.

However, right now I am on a different tack; I may try to run the game on a laptop computer I bought only one year ago, maybe hook up a large screen. It's got a reasonable video card and a HDMI out and it would be a huge improvement on my summer 2009 desktop and may just work for another year or two. Save some money in the meantime and go for a really good machine then. :)

Funny, that's about the prize range and components I had arrived at later last night.

However, right now I am on a different tack; I may try to run the game on a laptop computer I bought only one year ago, maybe hook up a large screen. It's got a reasonable video card and a HDMI out and it would be a huge improvement on my summer 2009 desktop and may just work for another year or two. Save some money in the meantime and go for a really good machine then. :)

If it has an HDMI out you could hook it up to your TV

Well, I am about ready to give up. I had the game running on my laptop computer and it worked fine until this morning, I even had hooked up my new 24 inch display and was flying with that magnificent wide view, and now the game again crashes every time, this time on the second screen after login, i.e. before the red status bar comes up. The screen goes black as it should, then CTD. I just don't get it. How could it work fine this morning and work not at all this evening? I didn't even touch the computer all day. :mad:

BTW this is offline as well as online.

Well, get this ... apparently it's TS killing my game. When I don't have TS on, the game starts normal; the moment I turn it on, it crashes. :confused:

Any known conflicts between WWIIOL and TS?

(Not to mention though that this morning both programs worked together fine.)

The TS problem is nearly solved (my thanks to fbcoach :)).

However, I am beginning to doubt if the laptop computer really will run the game alright. I thought that it should ...

Intel® Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs)

Windows 7 64 bit

8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7470M (1 GB)

... afterall that's a good deal better than my previous desktop computer which was an XP machine with a 2 Quad Q8300 2.5 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 4850.

Yet on that machine the game ran without any problems (until it stopped running at all a month ago), save some minor lag when flying close to major towns. With the laptop however I am getting video stutter whenever I fly close to other aircraft, which is bad for combat, obviously.

Should or shouldn't the game run reasonably well with this machine? And if it should, is there any tweaking I can do to make it? The game settings are already all at the lowest possible. :cool:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0