Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mosizlak

The Liberation Trilogy

5 posts in this topic

Mo - I had not heard of this but it sounds like an interesting read - I would certainly consider the North Africa/Italy Volume. The Allied forces did a lot of growing up in this period, as there air-power matured as did their ability and understanding of coalition warfare.

There are actually some very good historical books out there written by Journalists, I think partly because Journalists can write and see between the lines with a good dose of cynicism that everyone should have and hard-nosed military historians can sometimes miss ;-)

This is even evident in Chester Wilmot's book, Struggle for Europe which was written after World War II and is about the preparations for and the completion and onwards re-invasion of Europe in 1944. A good read to boot, despite being written before our knowledge of Ultra came to pass.

Thanks for the recommendation Mo - I will be buying this book.

Edited by Smythes

I have enjoyed "Army at dawn" and "Day of battle" quite a lot. I will definetely read the third volume.

Just finished the 3 volume set. One of the best WWII series of history books that I have read. Really highlighted the issues of where the USA would enter the war (France or N Africa) and the steep learning curve of modern warfare.

A must read for the WWII history buff.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0