Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
creusot

Will this fly?

8 posts in this topic

Finally really putting together a new computer so I can hopefully get back to flying in the game (I was practically out of it since my previous desktop quit running it three months ago and my laptop gives me from 4 to 15 fps in critical situations).

Here is what I intend to treat myself to:

Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v3 3.4 GHz

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770 2 GB

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

HDD: 2 TB

PSU: 530 W

Does this make sense? Will it run the game alright? Particulary when flying, since this is what I do.

Particular questions:

- Enough video card memory? Or should I go for 4 GB?

- Enough RAM? Or is there a reason for 16 GB?

- Enough power supply for this rig?

Any comments (particulary from pilots) would be most sincerely appreciated. :)

I don't fly much ingame, but. CPU should be good enough, as should the video card. 8 G is plenty of RAM for this game at present. Power supply could give you a problem if its output isn't enough for what the video card wants. You will need to check the specs on both.

Power supply could give you a problem if its output isn't enough for what the video card wants. You will need to check the specs on both.

Thanks! Geforce recommends 600 W for this card, but everyone else says they are being 200% on the conservative side with this and realistically this card needs less than 300 W. So I thought all in all 530 W might be ample.

Edit: Found me some tests that give the maximum power this version of the card needs as 390 W.

Edited by creusot

To be on safe side, you might want to have bit reserve on power supply size and go slightly up... lack of power and fluctuating supply due that is something that shortens component life and system reliability very fast.

Just like in car audio there are watts and ILS watts, latters being If Lightning Strikes...

Looks good but i would up the power supply. When i built my rig 2 yrs ago i went with an 800w PS that down the road i have it if needed and it was a marginal cost increase.

Thanks! Geforce recommends 600 W for this card, but everyone else says they are being 200% on the conservative side with this and realistically this card needs less than 300 W. So I thought all in all 530 W might be ample.

Edit: Found me some tests that give the maximum power this version of the card needs as 390 W.

I see 230W listed as TDP. 390W sounds wrong.

Have to agree with posters before me. Invest in a good quality PSU >= 600W. They do not cost that much more than cheap PSUs, and a small amount of money can safe you headaches in the future.

Erik

I would agree with a 600w or more power supply. I'm personally looking at the Corsair cxm750 for my own personal rig.

There's loads of those power supply test things online and you can input the same system into 5 of them and get huge variance on the power required to run the exact same rig from all of them, which says to me, they haven't a clue or can't be trusted.

Memory should be plenty for this game. 16gb is overkill unless you're into photography and video editing, even then, it'd want to be higher end equipment you're using.

Video card should be fine unless your running across 3 or more monitors then go for 4gb.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0