• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doctorclot

[Suggestion] Port World War II online to Unreal Engine 4

41 posts in this topic

FMOD, now it starts to make sense. Still miss a few things, like convoluted DSP, but that will possibly one day be made as plugin for the mixer.

I saw native support for Unity and plugin support for several other engines, but no mention of Unreal?

FMOD, now it starts to make sense. Still miss a few things, like convoluted DSP, but that will possibly one day be made as plugin for the mixer.

I saw native support for Unity and plugin support for several other engines, but no mention of Unreal?

Epic has an Integrated partners program which I think Firelight technologies (Makers of FMOD) are a part of. However I am now sure 100% about that.

I might be able to get a programmer when my mainboard / PSU gets back in from RMA to make a plugin for FMOD. :)

(...)

Right now it is just talk. Guess I should start putting my plan into action :)

This.

And dont over-expect any sort of reply from CRS. They seem to have their own problems and their own ideas of how to solve them (and I think that's fair enough).

One very common joke on 3D/game engine communities is someone getting there with a "big plan" to do "big things" and starts recruiting. That wont work, I'm afraid. So if you can do something, do it.

You can also checkout my project to a huge map, using Irrlicht: http://sourceforge.net/projects/irrbigmap/

If you are using Unreal (I'm not sure if that is the best thing for really big terrain), I've placed there some notes about heightmaps that might help you.

Have fun and good luck !

well... this sounds... quite good, but i just fear what it does when people cant get better computer to run better graphics and so on :(( for me... this is enough with graphics, only this needs is bugs and latency fixes, and more older and new stuff.. :3 and a lot of people! :3 but i know that the people wont come untill it has better graphics :(

The graphics engine is in fact so inefficient that getting a new engine in could very well mean much better performance, while still getting much better visuals.

So I thought I would give an update on this.

Currently I am putting together a series of art packs to fund development of this project.* I am planning to sell these art packs via the Unity Asset store and eventually the UE4 Marketplace.

My Development computer is still out of commission but that is OK - I recently got a hold of a less powerful Intel computer. Just needs a heat sink. :)

As Paper work / Planning goes - I recently put together a "Open Source" Game Design Document Template**. I will be putting an actual game design document together soon. :)

Question time - What does everyone think of the Oculus Rift? I would like to integrate this into the game. For the Air Combat, Tank Combat and Ship Combat portion I want Oculus Rift integration. I am not entirely sure about Infantry yet. For those of you not in the know go

*Costs will be going towards software licenses, upfront Hardware costs and eventually mission critical people needed to get certain aspects in the game running. (Networking, Damage model, Database, etc.)

** Link to the Template if you are interested :)

What kind of assets do you want to put up to the Unity store? I would be interested in some nice WWII models for Unity. I started a small project a few weeks ago to learn what is possible in Unity. The biggest issue I see at the moment is probably the networking. I haven't seen an out of the box solution which you can easily modify as you would need it for this type of game. You could use the UnityPark Suite. But from what I have seen it probably needs a lot of adjustment. I mean, you could do something like this but I haven't really seen it implemented anywhere in that scale, yet.

Regarding VR, it would be nice to have for tanks and planes and such. Inf won't work as long as you don't have a usable tread mill imo. And of course, you need somebody to actually program it...

Any movement on this or word from CRS? Sounds interesting :) And I totally agree that with a new engine even older pc's will probably benefit from a performance boost, as the current engine is pretty unoptimized to my knowledge.

I do have to question the unreal engine's ability to generate a persistent, non-instanced map the size of battleground europe though, from my experience the unreal engines have always been better at small scale & sexy, not big, sandbox and sexy.

CRS themselves seem to be pretty confident in the new client built coming soon, so i'm hoping the game can start getting back on track without needing any major engine overhauls that are likely to go on for years and provide little to no results in reality.

Anyway best of luck!

Edited by padawan

Ok, this is the third time for me typing up this message. So I am going to keep it short.

That said - Here is what I have been up to.

1. I have evaluated Unreal 4. It will work for what I have planned for the massively large world. However some compromises will have to be made in the name of performance of lower end PCs.

* I have been modeling buildings. The buildings are untextured right now. No vehicles or characters yet due to my work load.

* I am going to be using this network stack for the game.

* I need to find a network programmer to integrate Game Machine into the engine.

2. I have been working on some freelance projects. I am still under NDA but the money I have gotten should allow me to develop the game for a few months more. Some of the contracts still need to be finished up. So If I go silent that is why.

3. I am overhauling the game design document for this game with what I have learned with these other projects as well as some personal stuff. I do not want to loose interest in this project. So I am going to customize it a bit. It will also help out performance.

4. I want to make this game really deep in terms of game mechanics and gameplay. However - Some compromises will need to be made. I typically do not like Compromises however I like these. I am going to run these by you guys as soon as I have overhauled the Game design document.

5. Here is the middle ware that I am planning on using for the weather and clouds. LINK

I should have something to show off hopefully very soon. :)

Ok, this is the third time for me typing up this message. So I am going to keep it short.

That said - Here is what I have been up to.

1. I have evaluated Unreal 4. It will work for what I have planned for the massively large world. However some compromises will have to be made in the name of performance of lower end PCs.

* I have been modeling buildings. The buildings are untextured right now. No vehicles or characters yet due to my work load.

* I am going to be using this network stack for the game.

* I need to find a network programmer to integrate Game Machine into the engine.

2. I have been working on some freelance projects. I am still under NDA but the money I have gotten should allow me to develop the game for a few months more. Some of the contracts still need to be finished up. So If I go silent that is why.

3. I am overhauling the game design document for this game with what I have learned with these other projects as well as some personal stuff. I do not want to loose interest in this project. So I am going to customize it a bit. It will also help out performance.

4. I want to make this game really deep in terms of game mechanics and gameplay. However - Some compromises will need to be made. I typically do not like Compromises however I like these. I am going to run these by you guys as soon as I have overhauled the Game design document.

5. Here is the middle ware that I am planning on using for the weather and clouds. LINK

I should have something to show off hopefully very soon. :)

That does sound really great, so please don't take this next bit the wrong way, but are you creating it with the intention of working alongside CRS or as a standalone project that will, I can only imagine, result in being a competitor?

I ask purely because if you intend to present this to CRS as a proposal to port the existing game over to the suggested Unreal engine, then CRS should probably be made aware of the existence of your idea incase they turn out to be entirely uninterested in it, resulting in your time being wasted.

On the other hand, if you're aiming to release basically a new version of WW2 Online as a competitor, you probably shouldn't be talking about it on the rats forum as it would give a bad impression to your new potential customer base :P

Like I mentioned above, I sincerely hope you don't take offense by this since i'm genuinely interested in the project, but I believe, given CRS's history with accepting ideas openly from the forums etc, that it needs to be excecuted and presented to them in a way that will do anything but pee them off or feel threatened by a potentially superior (modern) product :)

Good luck regardless though from me, I look forward to reading your next progress report on this! S! :)

That does sound really great, so please don't take this next bit the wrong way, but are you creating it with the intention of working alongside CRS or as a standalone project that will, I can only imagine, result in being a competitor?

I ask purely because if you intend to present this to CRS as a proposal to port the existing game over to the suggested Unreal engine, then CRS should probably be made aware of the existence of your idea incase they turn out to be entirely uninterested in it, resulting in your time being wasted.

On the other hand, if you're aiming to release basically a new version of WW2 Online as a competitor, you probably shouldn't be talking about it on the rats forum as it would give a bad impression to your new potential customer base :P

Like I mentioned above, I sincerely hope you don't take offense by this since i'm genuinely interested in the project, but I believe, given CRS's history with accepting ideas openly from the forums etc, that it needs to be excecuted and presented to them in a way that will do anything but pee them off or feel threatened by a potentially superior (modern) product :)

Good luck regardless though from me, I look forward to reading your next progress report on this! S! :)

No offense taken. :)

Here is what I am planning on doing. Hopefully this will shed some light on this.

1. Make a prototype and "shop" it around to various smaller studios and publishers including CRS, Paradox Interactive, etc.

2. If Plan 1 fails - I will attempt to crowdfund the project so I can develop it further with others help.

3. If plan 2 fails - Open Source everything thus far (Assets, Game Code, Levels, etc.) so people can learn from it as well as help develop it further if they so desire.

Hope that I cleared things up. I am currently re-writing the Game design Document. Which will be part of Update 1.

- DoctorClot

No offense taken. :)

Here is what I am planning on doing. Hopefully this will shed some light on this.

1. Make a prototype and "shop" it around to various smaller studios and publishers including CRS, Paradox Interactive, etc.

2. If Plan 1 fails - I will attempt to crowdfund the project so I can develop it further with others help.

3. If plan 2 fails - Open Source everything thus far (Assets, Game Code, Levels, etc.) so people can learn from it as well as help develop it further if they so desire.

Hope that I cleared things up. I am currently re-writing the Game design Document. Which will be part of Update 1.

- DoctorClot

Well I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to reading your next update =) Maybe start a dev blog somewhere? This will do well on kickstarter under the right circumstances imo!

i dont know which is the best but, it should be ported to as smooth and fitting for this game type as possible. i mean so graphically this would be likely the same as it is now, but FPS could be at least 2x better, and maybe terrain would look more realistic. but in unreal engine, i dont think its possible to remake realistic looking map of this BGE map, because its so big, it would take so long to load and so on...

but anything that changes game mechanics and methods with graphics improvements and FPS, is NO from me. only better and smoother FPS and server issue fixes is welcome for me.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0