• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zach

[MANDATORY] AAR's After Your Cycle

19 posts in this topic

In order to make changes to the program to make your guys jobs easier, we need you guys to give us some feedback after your cycle as a Host Squad. (Non-English speaking squads, please post here every so often to let us know how many recruits you're getting!)

Please write your AAR in this format...

How many recruits did your squad take in? (Approximation)

-

Of those recruits that were WORKED with, how many are returning to play the game?

-

What is working?

-

What is not working?

-

Comments

-

These AARs will help us fix problems that can potentially be solved within the program! S!

AAR - 14th from 19-21 april.

> How many recruits did your squad take in? (Approximation)

253 new recruits in last cycle

> Of those recruits that were WORKED with, how many are returning to play the game?

Of the roughtly 20 i contacted, halve responded. Two confirmed beeing returning players.

I found a few of the german playing ones responding but none have actually communicated back yet that they prefer playing german.

I think they do not see it as something essential that we track them.

Seems that the balance of sides they pick is somewhat equal looking from the squad list.

> What is working?

That most seem to find my mission (as CO and often ML) fairly good. If i am at a good place for combat they seem to go fast to enjoy.

> What is not working?

The language still bites. I can't tell which language to pick so use english but i may as well copy something they can read to say we can help to find a native language squad.

And in TZ3 there is not often that much action, many neccesary jobs on the flanks.

It is a) hard to sent them over to the busiest place. Could have a special button for that 'hottest allied mission / hottest axis mission'.

And B) to often there is no good combat place. Its either way to quiet or way to camped in TZ3.

The time in between such lowpop events of 10-15 minutes is usually preparation and scouting and offers little combat also.

My advice, lock those timers in lowpop. If less then 15 players on a side then lock the bunker timers to 1 hour.

This will allow alot of players to peek into the camped spot if they want or spawn the DFRUs that should be set by then.

> Comments

Its lots of players coming for a look. We should have some stable P1 action around the clock.

S!

Genxs

Not a real AAR.

Think between 50 and 75 joined when i was online last few days. (300/350 total)

I was unable to chat with them, the grab didn't work because they got kicked before i could grab them.

Think the players who are trying to login for the first time all gets kicked. Not sure about 2nd accounts.

I could grab a few when they relogged, but most names didn't logged back in.

I don't have problems with the grabbing ppl and have a chat with them but when you try it 10 times and noone is available it doesn't work.

Not sure if i am the only 1 with this problem?

SShot499_zps4063d012.png

We had 2 players playing axis who wanted to stay axis, i handed them over, so that part works :)

I had lost players to. Imagine this though.

I have a daughter of 9 years old playing minecraft and using skype with her friend. We instructed here to talk to noone unless we approve them.

So when when a stranger calls her to talk we deny it and break the connection. These include strange messages as well a 'how are you ?' 'how old are you ?' 'where do you live ?' (from stranger to note again).

Now some of the grab cases i had look like they get disconnected once i start talking to them, not directly after the .grab. May it be that these are youngsters (possible from another language) and the personal approach is scaring them off ?

Of those that i lost connection with or ignored me only a few i saw speak english on the allied side. Age and language information will help immensly.

Can't squad CO's or trainers get an email of a new member stating these two datafields, rather have them in the squad list ingame but thats prolly more challenging.

Ah and one i saw come back online after a few minutes. But he/she still did not talk to us.

S!

Genxs

Not a real AAR.

Think between 50 and 75 joined when i was online last few days. (300/350 total)

I was unable to chat with them, the grab didn't work because they got kicked before i could grab them.

Think the players who are trying to login for the first time all gets kicked. Not sure about 2nd accounts.

I could grab a few when they relogged, but most names didn't logged back in.

I don't have problems with the grabbing ppl and have a chat with them but when you try it 10 times and noone is available it doesn't work.

Not sure if i am the only 1 with this problem?

SShot499_zps4063d012.png

We had 2 players playing axis who wanted to stay axis, i handed them over, so that part works :)

I'd say give them a few minutes after they log in, or don't rely on the chatbox but rather the squad roster itself when contacting new players... I have found this to be the easiest means of contacting those players.

In the past when we participated in the Host Squad.

The opening message i used with the grab feature was...

"Hello i'm a trainer with the squad that you have been placed in. If there is anything i can do to help you just ask using F4 ( squad chat) and we will be glad to help you....just hit enter and type to reply. Thx"

I realize that it is a lot to type but by using the arrow keys you only type it once really. I found this received the most replies and the least amount of dead space with no reply. It also brought the whole squad involved when they did use squad chat, this makes it easier for the trainers to. With the members helping it united the squad and recruits and they responded better and even the ones that didnt respond at first started to use squad chat as well.

Keep at it guys, i know it can be difficult but the rewards are great for everyone.

Ehstrike S!

-

We take in about 150 per cycle.

Of those recruits that were WORKED with, how many are returning to play the game?

-I've seen very few stick around. We had one that was playing with us consistently for a week or two, then he disappeared. I think he picked up a paying account and went Axis. Not sure.

What is working?

-Our script and how I word my messages, encourage conversation. Personally, I have about a 80percent success rate of players responding to my initial comments.

What is not working?

-But after that, and I explain who I am, and if I can help, etc. I don't see them again-ever, logging onto the game.

Comments

-

We take in about 150 per cycle.

-I've seen very few stick around. We had one that was playing with us consistently for a week or two, then he disappeared. I think he picked up a paying account and went Axis. Not sure.

What is working?

-Our script and how I word my messages, encourage conversation. Personally, I have about a 80percent success rate of players responding to my initial comments.

What is not working?

-But after that, and I explain who I am, and if I can help, etc. I don't see them again-ever, logging onto the game.

Comments

Thank you very much for the AAR Xo, I will look into it and see if there is anything else we can change to perhaps increase the retention rate of those new players.

Thank you very much for the AAR Xo' date=' I will look into it and see if there is anything else we can change to perhaps increase the retention rate of those new players.[/quote']

Personally, I think they get frustrated with the tutorial. I have had many talk about not being able to finish it due to whatever bug/reason.

But, looking back at the game myself almost 10 years ago, and even after my longer break from the game, when I came back, it was hard to get through everything. Graduate everything, and then feel comfortable enough to get into the actual game.

By the time one finally gets to the game, their attention span is limited. They need immediate action and not FB defense or the defense of a town with two people.

The process for getting into the game is difficult and without at least five or ten minutes of individual instruction by someone helping me, it's easier for them to toss in the towel.

So, in my estimation, retention happens if they can easily navigate the tutorial with success and find immediate action in game.

When they log in for that first time and just walk around looking for "something"......that doesn't bring em back.

7/03/15 AAR for Ghosts of Afrika Korps

How many recruits did your squad take in?

• GAK took in about 50 and lost about 10 recruits each day: We gained approximately 350 in a week. Because of scheduling, we had additional days and our final intake was 450 recruits.
  • Throughout the week, we spoke to recruits (playing on the Axis side) using squad channel.
  • Out of 65 recruits’ I connected with (on both sides) using the grab tool, 17 did not reply at all. Later in the week, a few started using chat. There may be language barriers involved. I transferred French and Spanish speaking players to other squads, and two Brazilians want to stay in my squad.

Of those recruits that were worked with, how many are returning to play the game?

• It’s too early in the process to see retention results, but my best estimate is that 2% of recruits will stay in our squad, resulting in a member growth of 33%. Others may join a different squad or go it alone.
  • About six players mentioned they are returning from years past.

What is working?

• One player that I greeted said I’d exceeded his expectations of a typical game moderator and asked me to help him upgrade his account.
  • The next recruit asked how long this was going to take, and demanded that I release him immediately.
  • I warmed up my greeting and shared results using a Google spreadsheet on our squad website gak.club

Boot Camp:

• To get them all in one place, I had tried to organize an orientation hour. Nobody showed up. I found and posted a handful of instructional videos and promoted Q&A on our squad channel throughout the week.
  • About half of recruits took training courses, mostly on the Allied server. The interactive courses are key to understanding game mechanics.
  • Explained Chat channels and how to find action by navigating highlighted brigades.

What is not working?

Some players hop off too quickly. Don’t wait. It’s better to greet them as soon as possible.

Additional Comments:

I’d like to see freelance – unbiased – trainers join a host squad during their week of recruitment.

My greatest results on getting new players to respond is simple. Say new player is JP

Step 1)

.m JP JP hit f4 to say hello to your new squad and get help with the game.(remember to type JP twice so when JP sees the text he sees his NAME.

Step2) after you sent that message hit ENTER key,then arrow up key and hit enter. I spam its real fast 4-5 times in a row. Then if no response I do it again a few minutes later. I average say 70%.

Their screen will look this in chat.

JP hit f4 to say hello to your new squad and get help with the game.

Jr

Here are the results two weeks after our last day as host squad.

Out of approx. 450 Recruits:

• 178 (40%) created a name and may have completed some training on the server, but no sorties have been recorded
  • 251 (55%) completed one or more sorties
  • 21 (5%) left the squad
  • 18 (4%) recruits have played within the past week and been promoted to member status; 15 of whom had been grabbed during our week as host
  • An additional 6 (1%) or more recruits may be promoted to member in the next two weeks if they remain active.

Below is the script I used when grabbing recruits.

.grab PlayerName

Salute PlayerName, my name is Tweezer. I'm a trainer for your current squad Ghosts of Afrika Korps. I'd like to take a moment to welcome you and answer any questions you may have about the game.

Is there anything I can help you with? Press the Enter key to reply in the chatbar. (Wait 30 seconds.)

(If non-responsive) Do you prefer to speak English or some other language?

Function keys, F1 - F5 on the top row of your keyboard, are used for text messaging. If you have any questions in the future, please use the Squad and Help channels. Note, messages cannot be read by anyone playing on the opposite side.

For more information about your squad and the game, please visit www.gak.club Thank you for your time. S!

.ungrab PlayerName

Additional Rapport

• If you're looking for action, type M to bring up the Map. Click through the red and green highlighted brigades and join an active mission.
  • Have you tried any of the courses on the training server?
  • Do you own a joystick?
  • Join me on this mission $here.
  • Which side do you prefer, Axis or Allies?
  • Which branch are you most interested in, Army, Air Force or Navy?
  • Have you checked out the forums yet?

Here are the results two weeks after our last day as host squad.

Out of approx. 450 Recruits:

• 178 (40%) created a name and may have completed some training on the server, but no sorties have been recorded
  • 251 (55%) completed one or more sorties
  • 21 (5%) left the squad
  • 18 (4%) recruits have played within the past week and been promoted to member status; 15 of whom had been grabbed during our week as host
  • An additional 6 (1%) or more recruits may be promoted to member in the next two weeks if they remain active.

Below is the script I used when grabbing recruits.

.grab PlayerName

Salute PlayerName, my name is Tweezer. I'm a trainer for your current squad Ghosts of Afrika Korps. I'd like to take a moment to welcome you and answer any questions you may have about the game.

Is there anything I can help you with? Press the Enter key to reply in the chatbar. (Wait 30 seconds.)

(If non-responsive) Do you prefer to speak English or some other language?

Function keys, F1 - F5 on the top row of your keyboard, are used for text messaging. If you have any questions in the future, please use the Squad and Help channels. Note, messages cannot be read by anyone playing on the opposite side.

For more information about your squad and the game, please visit www.gak.club Thank you for your time. S!

.ungrab PlayerName

Additional Rapport

• If you're looking for action, type M to bring up the Map. Click through the red and green highlighted brigades and join an active mission.
  • Have you tried any of the courses on the training server?
  • Do you own a joystick?
  • Join me on this mission $here.
  • Which side do you prefer, Axis or Allies?
  • Which branch are you most interested in, Army, Air Force or Navy?
  • Have you checked out the forums yet?

Hey, that's good **** man. I assume Host Squad is still active given your post, looks like you have a good understanding of what I had originally intended for Host Squad Reps, keep up the good work

Ghosts of Afrika Korps is currently the hosting squad and the quality of new players this round has been excellent. Seems we consistanly gain about 450 Recruits. I've not been grabbing players as much as I did when I started. Many seem to freak out and log when grabbed. I've been spamming squad chat and spending time in the training server to observe and talk with new players. I did that once on the Allied training server too, but the wait time sucks. I've also made it pretty clear we are an Axis squad and Members who play on the Allied side will be removed, without warning.

Curious to find out what a Recruit sees when signing up for a free account, I created a new one. The squad channel was displayed in the functions row by default, so even if they didn't respond, I knew Recruits where able to read my bad jokes in chat. I encouraged new players to check out the training exercises, but was glad to find there was an opt-out button for us know-it-alls who just want to start playing the game.

I was surprised when the following message popped up: "Your current squad rank is RECRUIT. Recruits are automatically removed after 7 days. You have 7 days left until you are removed. A RECRUITER level or higher squad mate will have to promote you to MEMBER if you want to remain in the squad."

In order to manage when to promote Recruits, I need to know what day they will be removed from the squad. What is the easiest way to determine a Recruit's join date? Can this info be sent to the Squad Trainers or listed on the CRS stats page?

The in-game alphabetical sorting tab reverts to random sorting whenever a squad member logs in or switches missions. Sifting through thousands of squad names is madness and I'm not doing that over and over again.

Our numbers are growing and the future is steamy. Managing large lists has to be simple for the hosting squads. An automated system that removes (1,000+) Recruits from the squad list automatically will save a lot of time.

This is the last day of our current hosting week. I see 300 Recruits that could be promoted to Member status, but that number may get adjusted down. I guess that leaves me just a few hours to promote them before they start to vanish from our list. In the future, could there be a way (submit name list or multi-check box) to promote 300 Recruits to Member status all at once? -- S!

As far as I know that message may seem that removal is automatically done but it is not. For recruits to be removed it has to be done by a squad member with recruiter or higher privileges.

I know back just after the host squad started and I was CO of Windhund I had my squadies assist me and we had to remove about 1100 recruits. Our criteria back then was something like 30 days or more and we removed them unless they had at least registered on our forums.

It can be overwhelming but we just did about 30 or so at a time when we logged into the game, took a few days, then had our play time.

Yep quite right.

After the rotation has finished, I start removing recruits over 7 days old. This takes a week as the recruits who joined on the last day of rotation go over the 7 day period.

We get maybe 7 players that are promoted to member. These are guys/gals who are either responsive, get on Missions, join TS and our forum.

The 7 day message does not do anything automatic. I am so thankful for all the awesome hard work. I am still looking for aars, they can be grief. what works and what doesn't work.

Thanks again, you are the front line to making this game awesome by training recruits to be better players and to stay in the game by having fun.

Host Squad AAR

Campaign: 119

Date of week: 10.31.15

Squad: Ghosts of Afrika Korps

Hosting period started off with the removal of 1,200 names from previous hosting periods. I have a new process in place to make this as easy to manage as possible.

We gained 100 Recruits over the week, instead of our usual 450 - but no complaints. I approached about 20 Recruits and as well as a handful playing on the other side, two of which left the squad soon after being released. Our newest member is a returning soldier who is impressed on how much the game has improved.

Any Allied players, whose second accounts get placed into GAK, had better leave the squad before Tweezer catches you.

Last time we had about 450 Recruits come through. We say hello to new players by name and periodically explain what we’re doing in squad chat to build rapport and encourage teamwork.

Managing our members list had become incredibly time consuming. We decided to focus on the quality of player vs. quantity. This is GAK's method:

We are an Axis squad, so we want active Axis players. At the end of each map, I go to the BE Stats page and copy & paste the names of squadies who’ve completed at least one sortie on the Axis side. I end up with about 50 players who then get promoted to Member. The remaining Recruits are deleted. Members, Recruits and Officers who are inactive are demoted or removed from the squad roster over time as well. If the end of a map and hosting week don’t coincide, we hold off on sorting for a few more weeks. MS Excel or a website like http://mosher.co/20q0hKI are useful for maintaining lists.

On the first day I .grab about 65-70 guys. I wanna say aomswhere between 200-250

Of those recruits that were WORKED with, how many are returning to play the game? Almost acout 30-40 of them are either playing with squad or playing on allies.(Either way they are playing lol)

What is working?

-I loved the host squad for the week. I .grabbed everyone that came on the sec they did. I think it's a great tool to have to help the new guys and grow the game.

What is not working? Getting new guys on TS I mean there is no control over this but that was the main thing I had was getting new guys on TS.

Comments

-I think this is a very great thing to have each squad do. If not a squad maybe have just a handful of players that are able to .grab just the new guys.(OVER ALL I ENJOYED EVERY PART OF THIS HOST SQUAD WEEK.)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0