• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
    • CHIMM

18th Anniversary Event Awards!   06/23/2019

This year we are giving out trophies and awards for the top players during the "Kill a RAT" event! We need the following players to contact @CHIMM at chimm@corneredrats.com with your physical address to mail these out.   @mook2  @dasei88  @c00per  @kardehk  @chau90  @kdped02  @Simcha  @pulfer  @bus0    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sascha

Need monitor-advice

7 posts in this topic

Goin to have to buy a new monitor. I've left my current, 4 year old Samsung P2370 in Munich and didn't pack it for the trip to EuroCon 2014 in Holland which starts on thursday. Instead I'll pick up a new 27'' here in the beautiful factory-city of KÖln and take it with me to Holland.

I've done some research online and I think this is the one I'm going to get:

http://www.amazon.com/ProLite-X2783HSU-B1-LED-Monitor-68-6cm-27/dp/B00EY8PYGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400422166&sr=8-1&keywords=x2783+hsu

http://www.iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-x2783hsu-1/

It's just within my price limit (27'' gaming-monitor for no more than €250), so it doesn't have 120/144hz or anything like that. But looking at the prices for those, that's ok, I guess. All the ones I could find started just under €400.

I wanted something bigger with a small frame (if I ever decide to go triple), good picture and relatively fast response-time. This one seems to fit the bill.

Or should I dish out a few €€s more, ignore the higher reaction-time of 5ms and go for an IPS-panel?

http://www.amazon.com/Series-VG278HE-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906HM6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400424491&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+vg+278he

http://www.amazon.com/VX279Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00DBVPOZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400424522&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+vx+279q

Any thoughts? Any other products I should consider?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by sascha

Ips panels have better color quality and viewing angles at the expense of slower response times. They also tend to be more expensive.

Ips panels are not the best for gaming, but if you watch a lot of movies or do a lot of photo editing they are good for that and acceptable for gaming.

IF you do go IPS read the reviews and stay away from ones that have a problem with ghosting.

LoL I have the same monitor on my other pc.

Don't you hate where they put the "warranty void if removed" sticker?

After getting tired of waiting for the local HW-dealer to order a 24'', I bit the bullet and picked up a 27'' IPS today for a few €s more ... actually just 30 €uros more which seems reasonable considering the size-difference.

http://www.amazon.com/VX279Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00DBVPOZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400600212&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+vx279q

WP_20140520_002_zps6303f719.jpg

Thanks for the input guys..

Too bad I won't be able to use it before I get to the target area on Thursday. BTW: Be sure to defend the little forest/green blob on the map between Hertogen, Boxtel and Tilburg.. cause that's where we'll be this weekend.. ;)

Quick update and first impressions:

Although the monitor had a scratch out of the box (just exchanged it for an undamaged one today), I'm very happy with it. The colors look incredible - especially compared to my old Samsung P2370 with its VA-panel. The trees/shrubbery in-game look almost too green now.. gonna have to play around with the presets and/or the color slider.

Brightness/contrast are also a lot better than on my old monitor. Despite the 5ms response-time, I didn't notice any blurrs/ghosting/etc. Worked like a charm in WW2ONL and War Thunder.

The size difference is quite noticeable IMO. Icons are easier to see and read, planes and their current orientation are easier to identify. I have yet to fiddle around with all the settings, but I think it's safe to say that some text can look a bit "pixel-y". 27 inches with the same 1080-res I run on my old 23 inch and all that.

Not really a high priority for me, but I also like the design. It's sleek and modern, yet unintrusive. Stand feels very solid and reliable and I also like the quasi "frame-less" look of the panel itself (there's roughly a 5mm black "gap" between the outermost pixels and the physical frame of the panel, but that's it).

OSD keys are a bit fiddly and kinda weird to work with at first. They're touch-sensitive but still protrude from the underside of the panel. If you're not used to it, you'll probably have to spend a lot more time in the OSD than neccessary due to unwanted button-input. A minor gripe but still noticeable. Especially when compared to the much easier to use touch-buttons of my old Samsung.

Still: Overall I'd highly recommend this monitor. And if this one is an indication for the general performance of IPS in games, I'd also recommend that technology for gaming - despite the slower reaction-time.

Edited by sascha

And a final update:

Set up my old monitor as a second screen. Seeing the old VA-panel next to the new IPS one is quite amazing. Granted: The old Samsung probably had a better picture when it was new and I haven't quite finished tinkering with color/gamma settings on either screen. Still thought the difference was significant enough to take a pic and share.

Not sure if it comes out at reduced res, but I didn't want to spam the thread with the full resolution version of the pic.

WP_20140603_002_zps9b48d1c9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0