Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sgtspoon

No Joystick? Premade Mouse/Keyboard Keymap files Inside plus Keymapper Info

32 posts in this topic

I just finished my Premade mouse and keyboard control files for people to download if they don't have a joystick or want to explore other control options.

it is a .zip file, you might need to download [free] Win Zip to open the compressed file. use google.

the file is under 100kb and has extensive readme's with a ton of information.

if you have any questions, corrections, or comments, feel free to PM me or send me an Email at sgtspoon@comcast.net or post in this thread.

you can download them here: http://sgtspoon.blogs.com/sgtspoonskeymaps.zip

or as an attachment to this post. [ATTACH]141[/ATTACH]

I am currently looking for people to translate these files, this post, and the cfml [i'm not sure if different language versions of ww2ol uses those languages in the cfml code]. please contact me if you want to help spread these to our foreign brothers and sisters in arms.

I also have a Keymapper website on which I am begining a massive update [this was the first step] to include tons more useful tools, informations, and tips on getting the most out of your controls in ww2ol: battleground europe.

Http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info

I am also looking for help on this also, specifically I am looking for a programmer [must be dedicated, been burnt too many times] who can help create an ultimate keymapper third party program for ww2ol: battleground europe. basically it needs to be able to read and write xml files [cfml files are in a basic xml code] and detect joystick inputs. I have several design ideas and know the inner working of the keymapper as I help develop and test both the keymapper and cfml code lanuage directly with the crs programmer Rickb. [now if only they'll listen to all my suggestions.... lol...]

and as usual, I am available to help via PM or email, your keymapping or joystick needs.

Cheers and Good Hunting,

SgtSpoon

SWEET! where was this when I didnt have my joystick. I am pretty sure many people would find this really usefull. Good post

Nice work, SgtSpoon. I'm new to the game, and as I don't use a joystick, I wasn't looking forward to remapping all the vehicle controls..

glad to be of help, hope you like em. I gave a ton of different options to choose from....

you are exactly the type of person I made these for to make it easier to jump into the game...

I've had them available for ww2ol'ers for 3 years but hadn't updated them in a really long time. I finally got some free time and since there was this new release and possibly a ton of new players coming in I thought I should get right on it to help out the game and keep some of those players....

now I'm trying to get them translated for our foriegn players who don't speak english.....

be sure to check out my keymapper website, I'm in the process of updating that also as alot of it was for the previous user interface but all the information in it [at least 95%] of it is still good as it was only a cosmetic change really.

If you ever need any specific help, just send me a pm...

I used these configs for aircraft during the last free trial period, and I were able to get few dogfight kills, and quite many ground kills with these configs using mouse and keyboard. Great help for anyone who hasn't got a joystick.

Wow, these controls are awesome.

I have never been one for joysticks, so I am quite happy using the keyboard and mouse.

Thanks a lot...

I agree! These keymaps allow even noobs like me to drive a tank right into the sights of enemy ATG!

In all seriousness, though, CRS should think about using these keymaps as the default.

Thanks to these configs, I'm able to see things like this without joysticks. fire.jpg

About assigning these as default controls for the game, I second that!

thanks guys, I'm really pleased to hear that these are really helping...

crs will eventually probably get these put in as defaults, I work closely with them on keymapper issues and this type of stuff, it's just them getting around to having the actual time to do it. in the meantime, it's no rush as I'm not going anywhere and they are freely available for download...

Thanks for making these. I just have a NooB question, what is a Cfml? Do I have to install these keymaps into the software of the game or do i input them manually from the read me text? Ok never mind I am reading hte first Readme Text and it is explaining things, if i get confounded then I shall post again....

I belive you just put the keymaps that you want in the WW2OL\Data\cfml folder and that should be it.

ok, I see you are getting it. it's not too complicated...

see cfml files are simply "keymap save files". they are basically notepad files with simple xml [and easy to read] code in them that the game can read to see what controls you have mapped to that vehicle.

there is a specific folder that they go into, the data/cfml directory in the main ww2ol folder. the game will only read those keymap files [.cfml] that are in that directory and only if they are named properly to something the game is programmed to "see"

[which also containes your controller sensitivity file, global.calib. this containes the info of your mouse sensitivity and joystick sensitivity settings you made in the ww2ol keymapper]. they have the .calib extention.

these files are already written up for you. all you need to do is place them in that folder [the one that you want to use].

you can open them up and look at them by using notepad or wordpad [any text editor].

the code is pretty simple and I have a full 2 page tutorial on it at my website [link in first post]. it's really easy to learn.

see the cfml code is a little bit more powerful than what the keymapper itself can do. the keymapper is simply a "cfml file generator". the game only reads and uses the cfml files, so you can learn to create them manually or use the keymapper for simplicitiy, just know you can do a little more with keymapping manually than you can with the keymapper... [working on getting a keymapper that's alot more user friendly in some area's and has more features that can be done in the cfml code..]

not that you are missing that much by using the keymapper, but it's very joystick/mouse keymapping oriented. it's not very simple to map what would use a joystick to the keyboard, which is why I created these files for new players...

I'm available via PM or email to help you with your keymapping questions....

I just downloaded Battleground Europe and whoops, I don't have a data/cfml folder... what should I do?

I just downloaded Battleground Europe and whoops' date=' I don't have a data/cfml folder... what should I do?[/quote']

Oh, yeah the folder isn't made until you set something in the Keymapper. You can just make the folder yourself. It's all lower case:

C:\Program Files\CRS\Battleground Europe\Data\cfml

After using these keymaps i'm enjoying the game ten fold.I was going to buy a new joystick but can't see the point now as i mainly use artillery and tanks.Brilliant work Spoony Thnx.

This sounds awesome. I do have one problem though, in your readme you don't really give proper download instructions. Maybe you could clarify what you're supposed to do with the files. Am I supposed to delete the controller configurations I don't want and then extract the files that I want into the cfml folder, or do I just extract everything and choose which ones I wan't in game?

no, do not extract them directly to the data/cfml folder...

simply download the .zip file to your desktop or where-ever and extract it, then follow the instructions in the readme.txt.

each subfolder has a readme.txt also

I've provided several alternate keymaps rather than just one style and they are all documented.

simply read the readme's, choose which files you want to use and copy them to the data/cfml folder in the game's main directory.

to use my keymaps, you definatly need to place the views.cfml that I've provided in there also to prevent a cross mapping with the defaults.

if a subfolder [like tank cfml's] has two cfml files, copy both...

it's a fairly simple system. the readme's tell all...

when you spawn a unit into the game world or offline, the game reads the cfml folder and applies the appropriate cfml keymap file for the unit you are using.

good luck.

Thanks alot the readmes were just confusing to me.

btw I was ganzoth, I had mixeed up my normal name with my game name.

Hi SgtSpoon.

Thanks very much for all your work on keymapping - it's a great resource. I wanted to download your premade CFML files but I'm getting a dead link on your website and for some reason I get a 'no permission' message when I try to download the attachment to this thread.

I'm trying to do something a little non-standard and I wanted to have a look through your files. Is there anyway I can get a hold of them?

Thanks again,

H0G

EDIT - Please ignore - the link in the original message in this thread was dead for me but the link in your sig worked fine. Cheers!

did you try the link in my sig?

those are the updated one's [they aren't on my website's download section, those were the old ones from years ago, yeah, I need to update my site].

the link in my first post didn't work as well?

hmmm, I just checked all of them and the attachment and they work perfectly for me with no problems, might be something on your system [internet settings] or they work for me due to I have permissions [obviously]. I'll have to check on another system in the house that I don't use for regular access to those sites.

well, PM me your email addy or shoot me an email with it to sgtspoon@comcast.net

I've got a ton of different alternate versions of my keymaps in that download, I set em up basically as a "starting point" for people to work off of, so included every little tip and trick I could think of...

oh and you can always shoot me a pm to ask any questions if something would work or not or any info you need...

did you try the link in my sig?

those are the updated one's [they aren't on my website's download section, those were the old ones from years ago, yeah, I need to update my site].

the link in my first post didn't work as well?

hmmm, I just checked all of them and the attachment and they work perfectly for me with no problems, might be something on your system [internet settings] or they work for me due to I have permissions [obviously]. I'll have to check on another system in the house that I don't use for regular access to those sites.

well, PM me your email addy or shoot me an email with it to sgtspoon@comcast.net

I've got a ton of different alternate versions of my keymaps in that download, I set em up basically as a "starting point" for people to work off of, so included every little tip and trick I could think of...

oh and you can always shoot me a pm to ask any questions if something would work or not or any info you need...

Must have been a quirk on my end - both links (thread & sig) are working for me now.

Thanks!

I must say that this is awesome. I love using just keyboard and mouse for this. it's like bf1942. I have one item that I need help with if possible. My mouse is working weird with this. It's not smooth like when using infantry. Is there a way to improve this?

What occurs is the mouse will work and then stop until I press a mouse button again to start it up. It's still a little laggy/glitchy though when things are running.

hmmm, I'd have to do some trouble shooting with you to figure that out...

did you place the "view.cfml" in my download into the cfml folder as I instructed in the readme?

because there's a default mapping under the views category in the keymapper which uses the left mouse button to engage "mouselook" and if you are "zoomed" in while in "gunsight view" it will freeze the mouse because mouselook doesn't work while zoomed.

so what I did was include a "views.cfml" in my download which had this defualt mapping removed so you didn't inadvertantly engage "mouselook"

mouselook is totally different than an "aim" view, what it does is actually move the avatar's head of the position you are currently in all around following your mouse movements. you know, like keeping your body facing one way but just turning your head and your focal point moves along with the mouse movements.

"aim" view is your normal movement. like with infantry, it's the direction your whole body is facing and where you are pointing your weapon. in a vehicle position, you don't get to control the body movement [except with commanders who spin like turrets] but you can still activate "mouse look" and swivel the head around in the vehicle you are in... [with infantry, the default key for this is "n"].

but if you are in any level of "gunsight view" or "instrument veiw", it wont work because your head is pressed up against the gunsight [well, that's the theroy].

so what I think is happening to you is that you are inadvertantly activating "mouse look"...

simple way to check, fire up ww2ol either online or offline, and go into the keymapper. choose the "views" category and look for the "toggle free look" control function ["free look" is just another name for "mouse look" and see if either of the keymapping collumns have the keymapping "mouse button 2" in them.

if they do, this is your problem.

the fix, simply highlight the keymap "mouse button 2" and click on the "clear keymap" button at the bottom of the keymapper and then click "save".

all done...

if that's not it, then it's gonna be something with your mouse probably. is it wireless prehaps?

I think you remaps are awsome man but I'm having some trouble.

For some reason the air file and truck files dont seem to be working for me.

The other files worked fine and changed my settings. My plane and truck controls I tried to set up on my own before I found your keymap set up and may be the reason for the problem any ideas on how to fix it?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0