Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sgtspoon

No Joystick? Premade Mouse/Keyboard Keymap files Inside plus Keymapper Info

36 posts in this topic

Update by Bloo, December 8, 2008.

We have no integrated the functionality of Sgtspoon's keymaps into the game. Due to changes made, these keymaps are now effectively incompatible with the game, please DO NOT USE THEM. If you drop them into your game folders, they will not function correctly. However, they remain a good reference for how you can customize CFML files for your individual preferences.

Please refer to the wiki for the future.

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Keymapper

I will unstick this thread now with a hearty salute to Sgtspoon's efforts!

----------------------

I just finished my Premade mouse and keyboard control files for people to download if they don't have a joystick or want to explore other control options.

it is a .zip file, you might need to download [free] Win Zip to open the compressed file. use google.

the file is under 100kb and has extensive readme's with a ton of information.

if you have any questions, corrections, or comments, feel free to PM me or send me an Email at sgtspoon@comcast.net

you can download them here: http://sgtspoon.blogs.com/sgtspoonskeymaps.zip

or as an attachment to this post.

I am currently looking for people to translate these files, this post, and the cfml [i'm not sure if different language versions of ww2ol uses those languages in the cfml code]. please contact me if you want to help spread these to our foreign brothers and sisters in arms.

I also have a Keymapper website on which I am begining a massive update [this was the first step] to include tons more useful tools, informations, and tips on getting the most out of your controls in ww2ol: battleground europe. http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info

I am also looking for help on this also, specifically I am looking for a programmer [must be dedicated, been burnt too many times] who can help create an ultimate keymapper third party program for ww2ol: battleground europe. basically it needs to be able to read and write xml files [cfml files are in a basic xml code] and detect joystick inputs. I have several design ideas and know the inner working of the keymapper as I help develop and test both the keymapper and cfml code lanuage directly with the crs programmer Rickb. [now if only they'll listen to all my suggestions.... lol...]

and as usual, I am available to help via PM or email, your keymapping or joystick needs.

Cheers and Good Hunting,

SgtSpoon

Spoony - you are the greatest! Can't help with your programming stuff but I do wish you luck and just wanted to say thanks for all you do for the game. You gonna make the con this year? Sure was great we got you down there last year!!!

hey ozzy,

thanks alot for the praise, tho in my mind, these have been a long time coming. i'm just getting into the website revamp as I bone up on my dreamweaver skills again. I was a bit burnt out for a long while plus all the stuff I was going through but now I've got some extra energy and things have settled down with real life, so I can really start back up really helping with the game again...

I think I do have some help in the programming dept, as sres, who is also now hosting my website, expressed some interest in doing it when he had some free time coming up. so we'll see....

as for the con, that was great and alot of fun, I doubt I'll make it this year. besides, it's someone else's turn to get a miracle to go to the con. I probably will be able to make future cons as I'll be in better financial shape after this year. it was great meeting you and a ton of people from the game there. I'd love to go, but it's just not in the cards this time. I've got a little girl now and her mom is still having health problems. we aren't living together as I just am not in a position to care for her like she needs at the moment. I am doing ALOT better physically these days though thanks directly to the donation fund in getting the trike.

I will definatly try to go to the next one though. I'll definatly be there in spirit. hey! maybe I'll have them set up a laptop with a webcam, speaker and microphone on a cart that someone can wheel around and use it in lieu of my physical body being there. hey, even have one of bushman's webcontrolled robots pushing it around. it'll be the sgtspooninator 3000. I'll keep an nice supply of alcohol here at my place and whenever someone "buys" me a shot, I'll pour it here and drink with them! lol...

actually, that's not a bad idea. we could have many people who couldn't actually make it to the con have time on the 'bot and travel around the con and talk and drink with people. they could sign up for time slots in advance... lol

.....Im really getting pissed about installing this.

1.Ok i go to CRS in program files

2.I cant find where to replace the files

3.This is really pissing me off

I have already tryed all 4 types of air driving(with and without mouse and keybord) but, every time I throttle up the plane it raises the speep and keep turning to the left! I don't understand why! please help!

that's not a keymapping problem at all...

that's called "engine torque" which is a realism feature of the flight model...

your engine and propeller are spinning one way, and according to physics, it make the whole plane want to spin in the opposite direction.

so it translates into turning left on the ground and especially during takeoff. it's not so noticable in the air...

you need to throttle up slowely with the brakes fully applied, then when you reach max rpm, let go of the wheel brakes and use them to correct your course [use em gently as you can lose speed which you need for take off], as you pick up speed, your tail will lift off the ground. when that happens you must switch to your rudder instead of the wheel brakes to compensate for the engine torque.

it's tricky to learn, especially with only the keyboard and mouse. which is why I recommend a joystick [with some kind of rudder control] if you are going to try to fly. I really don't recommend trying to fly with the mouse and keyboard only, especially for those new to flight sim type games, I just provided them for people who might have wanted to use or try them.

honestly, with the mouse and keybaord, you are only going to be fodder for the more experienced pilots and those who have a joystick are definatly going to have a major advantage over you.

this game is a sim and tries to be "realistic", so it's not going to be a cakewalk to learn to fly [tho it's not really that hard] as the game uses [well tries to as closely as possible] real world physics, so real life flying skills are needed.

I suggest going on the training server and/or asking for tips in the hanger forum.

no idea what that is, so no. it's not....

sgtspoon is my handle that I created for this game. I do use it elsewhere but only after this game came out 5 years ago...

there was a player named just "spoon" but don't really know anything about him.

I have already tryed all 4 types of air driving(with and without mouse and keybord) but' date=' every time I throttle up the plane it raises the speep and keep turning to the left! I don't understand why! please help![/quote']

This is exactly whats happening to me, this isn't torque or anything like that.

I'll get a couple feet off the ground and BAM my planes flips over and I crash.

I've cleared the keymap and reset everything to default, and it is still happening with my joystick aswell.

Going to reinstall WW2OL and see if it fixes this problem.

Edit: Problem fixed, just had to reinstall the game.

yes there is, it's in the main ww2ol folder inside the data folder.

the default install location is C:\Program Files\CRS\Battleground Europe\Data\cfml

have you started the game at least once?

because that's when the folder actually gets created, not upon installation but upon first firing up the game in either online or offline mode..

Thank you very much, I hate the joystick and I wouldnt play wwiiol whitout your keymap file.

CRS should give more importance to the keyboard option.

I love you SgtSpoon (in a not-homo way)

I've been using spoon's keymapper for as long as I can remember.

Saved me loads of time and I still remember the day I actually tried to set it up myself.. Ugh the horror :)

Big thanks!

no, not offhand as I haven't switched to vista yet myself...

it's been posted before, prehaps do a forum search on the terms "vista" and "cfml"....

If i remember correctly, you need to check a setting or something to be able to see it properly...

but it'll work just fine, once you find the proper folder as it's all proprietary code to the game, which means the files will work on any platform, mac, pc, xp, vista, ect..

"any idea how to get this to work with vista

i dont have a cfml folder :P"

Regarding Vista...Just click on the "compatibility files" tab while in the Program Files/CRS/Battle.../Data folder. You should then see "cfml"

THANK GOD for SGTSpoon... I have been afk for 2 years (full time LE Officer and Full time college student - Psych. degree and also the game's parity back then was an issue...anyhow)...I bought a new X52 JS JUST FOR THIS GAME back then and well, I cant get it to keymap, etc. So thank SGT Spoon!

sounds like you have the HID driver problem. it's easy to fix and get that x52 working again, just do a forum search on my namd and "HID" and thanks for the praise!

Yup HID prob...(Media Ctr infrared remote controller/USB). I have the x52 up and running now...thanks SgtSpoon!

Hi I am testing the game and have about 10 days left on my trial, i love the flying and can take off land etc.. but i live about 2 hours from the nearest place i can buy a rudder joystick, which i will in time, but im handicapped so getting out of the house and into the city is a pain.

I dont really understand the cmfl stuff all i need is a cmfl file that will allow me to use my J and L keys as rudder, everything else i think is workable with my jstick atm, if someone could make one it would be greatly appreciated, send to v3lk@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance and sorry to be a bother

I've been using the 'Sgtspoon' keymapper with Vista (64) for the past 6 months now. You just follow the instuctions for XP and everthing works fine (as far as I can remember).

The only 'oddness' I've found using it in Vista is that after a while (an hour or two continuous play) I lose the 'up and down' controls. I can kinda move up and down 'a bit' (by makiing diagonal movements with the mouse). I can then spawn in infantry (which uses the default settings) and everything is fine, but anything using the adjusted keymapper files and I've lost up and down again.

The fix is to reboot the PC and no problems again (for the next two hours). But others who use the program on Vista don't have this issue (so its just me.....again)

But even with this problem, I wouldn't revert back to using a joystick. The Sgtspoon keymapper is the sole reason why I got above a 1.0 K/D ratio with ATGs ...heh.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0