Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saryehudah

My Opinions on WWII Online, Mucho Triste =(

39 posts in this topic

If things here are so bad then why do you keep coming back?

If i don't like something i leave and don't return.

Obviously something makes you want to play but you

• don't have the $$$ to subscribe
  • don't want to pay $$$ to subscribe
  • just want to complain and hope CRS gives you something for nothing

I just saw the new subscription plans. I was delighted at first but now I just want to scoff. Seeing now that f2p is a complete joke, and the 5 dollar per month plan offers very little,

Really?

Earn rank level "Sergeant" in all branches.

Submachine Gun (including Airborne).

Infantry Binoculars.

Capture Strategic Points (CP's).

Player Placed Foxholes.

Paratrooper Transport Plane.

Doesn't sound like "very little" to me - assuming you'll get all the F2P stuff with the $5-plan as well (which you probably do).

Or let me put it this way: What would *you* expect from a $5-beginner subscription?

If things here are so bad then why do you keep coming back?

If i don't like something i leave and don't return.

Obviously something makes you want to play but you

don't have the $$$ to subscribe

don't want to pay $$$ to subscribe

just want to complain and hope CRS gives you something for nothing

Spot on.

Or perhaps you are the sort of person that goes to his Porsche-dealer on a daily basis to demand they reduce their prices by 90% - warning them that if they don't, their company surely is doomed! :D

S.

Edited by sascha

CRS where criticised for previous one lump subs and now there mini sub is being criticised for not enough.

There is no pleasing some people. As for giving more stuff away for free, that is one way to make the game die for sure.

Cornered rat should consider developing a new game which is downsized' date=' as much as a hate to say it, a game based on large maps and not the entirety of Western Europe, where users can host their own servers.[/quote']

That would take away the game's USP (Unique Selling Point) and make CRS make the same game everyone else is making. :confused:

The problem is lack of proper advertising,

I think the whole "if only more people knew about the game the more would subscribe" myth has finally been debunked with the exposure on Steam.

Maybe there would have been an influx of players if the Steam client had been released shortly after being Greenlighted. You know, hit the iron when it's hot? But it's been a year...

Maybe there would have been an influx of players if the Steam client had been released shortly after being Greenlighted. You know, hit the iron when it's hot? But it's been a year...

Hi Rendus - I think an Oscar Wilde quote works well here - keep on talking :)

Hi Rendus - I think an Oscar Wilde quote works well here - keep on talking :)

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes?

Yeah, that fits. :D

Nothing in life is free, just subscribe and get on with it already. I'm poor and even I see the subscription fee as a disposable, managable sum , and it's definately worth paying for this great game even prior to the upcoming patch.

Fun fact! Most free2play players do not stay in WW2 Online anyway. A sales mechanic that works for World of Tanks does not mean it works here. My vote is, has and will always be to remove free2play altogether, as all most of them do is whine and then quit, or just plain quit.

Vets, I know this annoys you too! How many times have you offered to help a greentag that's doing something utterly retarded or clueless, and recieved no answer at all until they just dissapear, logged off, never to return?

This isn't a dig at the general free2play mechanic used in other mmo's, as it works for WoT, War Thunder, Heroes & Generals and all the other dime a dozen shoebox shooters out there. The trouble is, this isn't one of those games and the customer base, those customers that will actually stay and aren't just attracted by the idea of a large persistent world, are different and require different pricing structures.

At the end of the day, WW2 Online just doesn't suit the needs of the average free2play attracted gamer, as they are typically more casual, whereas WW2 Online is pretty hardcore on the realism side of things. So ultimately Free2Play is trying to cater to players that are highly unlikely to want to continue playing anyway.

*Rant continues* And btw! I know there's a few free2play peeps that have been playing for over a year and love the game (they say they don't when asked, but gametime speaks louder than words). Just man up and subscribe already, help the game that you dump so many hours into!

Who's with me!? :D

Edited by padawan

Vets, I know this annoys you too! How many times have you offered to help a greentag that's doing something utterly retarded or clueless, and recieved no answer at all until they just dissapear, logged off, never to return?

At the end of the day, WW2 Online just doesn't suit the needs of the average free2play attracted gamer, as they are typically more casual, whereas WW2 Online is pretty hardcore on the realism side of things. So ultimately Free2Play is trying to cater to players that are highly unlikely to want to continue playing anyway.

I'm with you, padawan- kind of. I think this game requires a certain degree of "dedication", just because the learning curve is so steep and there's just so *much* stuff to learn. And I suppose one tends to be less dedicated to something which doesn't cost him anything. Sorta like the "rental car vs my own car"-effect.

However: I'm not 100% sure F2P can't work for this type of game. At the very least it gives people the opportunity to experience BG:E first-hand - albeit in a limited fashion. Still: Being able to play a game like this always beats reading about it or watching screenshots/videos. Especially in the case of BG:E which doesn't have state-of-the-art visuals to draw you in on looks alone.

And if we're honest: F2P-mechanics aren't *that* different in other games. It's about getting people involved/interested for free and then turning them into paying customers. In other games they may be "packaged" more cleverly (or more fiendishly you might say), IMO.

Take Mechwarrior Online (simply because I've played it for half a year and spent money on it). It's free, yes, but people who like it will eventually dish out money to buy new Mechs and/or crap to decorate their cockpits with. The only difference there (and it might be a crucial one) is the way you spend your money in those games: You buy in-game currency *once* and then spend that currency to buy stuff.

And that's just the thing: From a psychological POV, this is much more tempting, IMO, since after the initial purchase of credits, you don't think in terms of real money anymore. You're spending "MCs", not $s/€s. At least in your mind, you do. It's still real money of course, but having that abstract label slapped onto it, probably removes reservations for a lot of people.

Mind you: I'm not advocating WW2ONL should adapt this. Simply thinking out loud about why this model seems to work so well for a lot of companies and why so many games are using it these days.

Perhaps one way to change it would be get rid of F2P and replace it with full-blown but time-limited trials. Say, you get to play 10 days for free with everything enabled before you have to either pay or have your account deactivated.

Not sure if this would be feasible - don't know enough about internet-stuff to know if you could reliably keep people from creating "new" accounts over and over.

S.

Edited by sascha

(...)

Perhaps one way to change it would be get rid of F2P and replace it with full-blown but time-limited trials. Say, you get to play 10 days for free with everything enabled before you have to either pay or have your account deactivated.

Not sure if this would be feasible - don't know enough about internet-stuff to know if you could reliably keep people from creating "new" accounts over and over.

(...)

That was the old model. New users had to use a credit card (that was not billed) and could only use 1 credit card once. Then they had access to everything for 15 (?) days.

The problem then was that they were getting a low number of new players. The problem now is a low conversion rate.

Either way you put it, the problem is not, was not and it will never be the customers. New players not responding ? Old players using F2P ? F2P not converting ? Well, you need to change _something_, but the players will NOT change.

Yeah.. I *think* chances of reeling in new bodies will increase pretty soon, once the Rats get that patch out the door - and will hopefully keep patching the game.

From what I hear they are *very* close to the first one, and with the recent changes to the code and all the rebuilding going on, patching should be a lot easier for them now.

Stand-still - whether it's real or perceived - is never a good thing with games. Especially with online-games such as BG:E.

Once they can update/fix stuff, they'll have something they can use to draw additional attention to the game. I would imagine a facebook-post about "the first patch in two (?) years" alone would make quite a few people take notice.

But I think the player-base themselves can contribute to this process, too. The player-driven WIKI is a step in the right direction. Not only does a game this complex simply scream for an extensive knowledge-base to help flatten the learning curve for newbies, but it can also be good to draw people's attention.

Other stuff we can do: Post/talk about the game on social media. Use those FB-/twitter-accounts, talk about it on forums such as SimHQ's, etc. Make you own in-game- or tutorial-videos and post them on youtube, etc.

But getting back to F2P vs limited subscription:

I'm no expert on this, but from personal experience I can tell you that some people are simply unwilling to pay for the game/any game - no matter how low the fee is. Question is: Does having these guys in-game do more good than harm - or does it even make any difference either way at all?

I mean: You could argue that the requirement of having a credit card for a trial-account is too steep, but then again: Why would CRS want people without a credit card (or some means to pay online) in their game in the first place? Ultimate goal should be to convert these guys into paying customers, and with no means of paying, they'll never become that anyway.

You don't try to sell a Bugatti Veyron at your local McDonald's or at the unemployment-agency ..

*shrug*

I'm not even convinced that a complete technical overhaul would do *that* much good in the long-run. At the end of the day, this game should *never* be another "Call of Duty" type of twitch-fest. And I suspect the guys getting drawn in by shiny graphics wouldn't be the types to put up with the steep learning curve we love this game for.

Just look at Combat Mission, which (I would guess) appeals to a similar type of gamer. They've revamped their newer titles, but they still don't look "state-of-the-art" by any means. And even though they've simplified their UI somewhat, it's still the complexity and authenticity/realism that make up for the bulk of CM's appeal. And that company seems to be doing OK for a small, independent developer, making titles for a niche audience.

The difference here of course is the fact that CM doesn't rely on the total number of people playing the games at any given moment.

S.

Edited by sascha

All really valid points, guys!

I definately agree with Sascha there though regarding the community being able to do abit more to attract new customers. Namely the youtube videos/tutorials idea.

Provided my fps isn't poorly affected by fraps, I may definately give this a go.

Anybody fancy getting a twitch stream going too?

9 out of 10 people i've ever spoken to have never heard of this game, but would be interested in it, and with the upcoming patch as mentioned before, I think the community is about to rebound. It is already alot busier in all tz's now than it was 6 months ago from what i've seen personally.

Padawan: Use Bandicam instead of Fraps. Similar quality, but much less of a hit to FPS and files are smaller, too.

Trial version available. Only limitation is that you can't capture videos longer than 10 minutes. You can however switch off after 9:59 and simply start a new one. Or buy the full version for, errr.. 29 bucks? or 35? Not sure ATM.

www.bandicam.com

Squaddie of mine uses twitch to stream stuff. Dunno if that would be viable for me, since I'm always on TS while playing and there's a lot of swearin' going on there.. as you may have noticed from my YT-videos.. :D

Edited by sascha

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0