Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ross11

Biggest problem with game

5 posts in this topic

I have been on and out of this game for years including a couple of stints with the German high command. In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with the game is that anytime a promotion or "invite the veterans" type event is held, it becomes an IT project. I do not think I can recall a single time when I could show up as a new user, download the game and start playing. There is always a CTD at startup or a crash when going into the actual gameplay. sound might not work. Joystick could have an issue. It is always something. Then, I go into the restart mode. Maybe that works. Upload some new drivers and maybe some other adjustments. I might turn off the virus protection. If nothing else works, I will go to the forums and see what other people had to do to get started. It is only because I have played in the past that I ever go through the trouble.

If I were to make one suggestion, and I am, it would be to simply get the installation up to par so that when any new player (or old player) comes to try the game, it simply downloads and works. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. I know that you are concerned about learning curves, squad involvement, training the new guys, etc. If the first part of training is to simply get the game running, followed by all the rest, at some point, they will give up. My guess is that most potential new players automatically leave if they try to download the game and can't get it to work on their own and quickly.

Tat's my two cents. Carry On.

I have been on and out of this game for years including a couple of stints with the German high command. In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with the game is that anytime a promotion or "invite the veterans" type event is held, it becomes an IT project. I do not think I can recall a single time when I could show up as a new user, download the game and start playing. There is always a CTD at startup or a crash when going into the actual gameplay. sound might not work. Joystick could have an issue. It is always something. Then, I go into the restart mode. Maybe that works. Upload some new drivers and maybe some other adjustments. I might turn off the virus protection. If nothing else works, I will go to the forums and see what other people had to do to get started. It is only because I have played in the past that I ever go through the trouble.

If I were to make one suggestion, and I am, it would be to simply get the installation up to par so that when any new player (or old player) comes to try the game, it simply downloads and works. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. I know that you are concerned about learning curves, squad involvement, training the new guys, etc. If the first part of training is to simply get the game running, followed by all the rest, at some point, they will give up. My guess is that most potential new players automatically leave if they try to download the game and can't get it to work on their own and quickly.

I recently re-installed the game 2 weeks ago and it started right up. No problems, no issues.

I recently re-installed the game 2 weeks ago and it started right up. No problems' date=' no issues.[/quote']

I think it's important to listen to people and not casually discard their comments.

If you're having technical issues - create a support ticket, make a thread on the forums or simply google it.

Those of us who can run the game (sometimes) with no issue may remember all the silly tweaks we had to make to get things smooth.

I'm sure the rats hate that too. The game is very stable nowadays but there were a couple oddities they missed. Not sure if it was on their end or just an artifact of older software. Either way, you're right about first impressions. I would suggest, if they didn't already do it, that crs uses a global customer email when this happens and the fix is discovered. If people aren't looking to the forum for help or submitting a ticket then email just makes sense.

With all due respect to the guy who installed it and it started right up, I think it can clearly by seen by looking at the forums that many people still have issues running the game when it is installed. I would point out that these are just the guys who couldn't solve it themselves, who couldn't find a solution already on the forums, and also does not include those who tried to start up and said "screw it" when it didn;t work and move on.

I promise you that there are still issues. Even having to say that the game is "stable these days" indicates an acknowledgement of the problem. I am moderately tech savvy and I could not get it running on my laptop and I said never mind. Maybe I will try in a few months when another "welcome back, soldier" promotion is run. Just didn;t want to screw with it this time since I had other things I could do.

Hope it works out.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0