Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Sign in to follow this  
langkard

Side balance

langkard

First some background.

I've played WWIIOL off and on for several years, beginning in 2004 or so. I decided to come back and see how things have progressed. I don't remember my old user name and my email has changed several times since I last played in 2007 or 2008. With the new pricing structure, it really doesn't seem to make much difference, so I just started over with a free account.

Side balance seems to still be a major issue. I know this has been discussed many times before, but I want to revisit the issue since it seems to me as a returning player to be a major one.

Spawn timers don't really seem to have much effect when one side's population is just crazy low. Last night for example, Axis had 4-5 players total with Allied overpop the entire night. Just 4-5 players can't do much and having spawn timers didn't really make a bit of difference with a low pop like that for one side. Allies steamrolled what was left of the Axis last night.

What if a mechanic were added which increased rank progression for the low pop side? Perhaps a 2X rank progression bonus for the low pop side, or maybe a scaled bonus based on the percentage of pop difference.

Pros:

A carrot rather than a stick approach (spawn timers) or along with the stick.

Encourages newer players to spawn on the low pop side and even things out.

Since the low pop side often changes from on to the other frequently, a rank progression bonus wouldn't unduly benefit just one side in the long term.

Cons:

Hard to code into the existing system?

Doesn't benefit max rank players and the HC.

On that last negative aspect, maybe something else can be done to encourage higher rank players as well. Perhaps a "favorite" weapon which would always be in supply for max rank non-HC and HC players? (excluding overly powerful items like shrecks or tigers or just limit it to infantry weapons). So, upon attaining max non-HC rank and above, a player would choose a particular inf weapon for each side, like sniper rifle or engineer or lmg, and it would be available to them no matter the supply situation, whenever that side was low pop?

I'm sure there must be other positive ways to influence player choice when there is a serious population imbalance. It just seems to me that side population is still a major drawback to this otherwise good game.

Edited by langkard

sirbower

I thank you for your thinking out of the CRS Box and discussing this issue.

shdowfrc

Great way to think outside the box on an issue that has plagued the game for a long time.

Sign in to follow this