Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
odonovan1

Central Florida

17 posts in this topic

S! All...

Between Orlando and Tampa is an imaginary town called Orlampa (at Polk City, on Interstate 4), conceived in the fevered brain of one Mr. Kermit Weeks, the owner of the Fantasy of Flight aviation attraction (F of F). Everything is scaled down and only open to the public on weekends, seasonally, while the next phase is being worked on.

But F of F -is- open, on that limited basis, as a museum, to view the planes and for special events. There is one such event, the Florida Military Collection Show, coming up on the 11th of July. The calendar doesn't say if that's open to the public or not. Then, after the first weekend of August, F of F will be closed until mid-November.

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/

http://fofcollection.com.php54-2.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/2015-calendar/ <---(2015 calendar)

Come see the pretty planes! :)

-Irish

9 hours ago, xantos12 said:

I am willing to attend! I am in Tampa.

Srsly?  I'm over by USF.  I call it "the butt end of Lutz" because our address is Lutz but we're only about a mile north of Bearss Avenue.

(Lutz (loots) is a suburb of Tampa and Bearss is pronounced like ear and beard, not like air, btw...for all you non-Tampa folks.)  :D

-Irish

Yeah but I'd prob drive to Orlando just to meet up with you all..........long as it's on a Saturday.

I SO wish!  I'd love to take my sons and get them a touch of the old "warbird fever," but finances aren't good this year.  *sob*

-Irish

Boy do I know that feeling. 

I've been wanting to go for years now, and never had the chance. This year I'll be there all week for work, strange how that turns out.

If anyone's going to be around, let me know and I'd love to meet up while I'm in town! 

Well, I grew up in Lakeland (starting in 1965, from age 8+) and lived there over 30 years, but moved to Tampa a bit over 20 years ago.  I'll be about 45 minutes away from Sun 'n Fun, daydreaming about the warbirds.  Haven't been to it in a LOT of years, despite living right nearby.  The last time was somewhere about 1985, give or take a year or two.

-Irish

Fair enough, I'll wave as i go by on my way through town (i'll be flying in and out of TPA) :D

4 hours ago, DAGGER said:

Fair enough, I'll wave as i go by on my way through town (i'll be flying in and out of TPA) :D

I'm surprised you didn't get a much better deal flying in/out of Orlando or St. Petersburg/Clearwater.  Still, Tampa's the most convenient unless you're actually "flying in" to the Fly-In.

Exit the airport following the signs for Interstate 275,  Then take I-275 North to I-4 East, I-4 East to County Line Road (Exit 25), and County Line Road south to Drane Field Road.  The airport will be all the land to your SW (left front) when you get to that intersection.  Depending on which entrance you go in, you could enter from Drane Field Road (north side), County Line Road (west side), W Pipkin Road (south side), or one of the roads on the east side.  If it's not rush hour, I'd be surprised if it took you 45 minutes, door to door.

Unfortunately, unless you have REALLY large arms, I won't be able to see you wave. :D We affectionally call the I-275/I-4 interchange "Malfunction Junction."  That's quite a few miles south of where I am, as I'm north of Tampa proper, in a suburb called Lutz (loots).  BTW, Drane Field used to be the name of the airport.  In WWII, it was Lakeland Army Airfield (in civilian life it was Lakeland Municipal Airport #2, #1 being Lodwick Field, which is now TigerTown, the spring training home of the Detroit Tigers).  Both the airfields in Lakeland were used in WWII as training fields.  You'll be walking where B-26 Marauder pilots trained (and later some A-26 Invader pilots trained in dive bombing, but they were later and a minority).

Hope you have a great time!

-Irish

Thanks for the tips! I probably could have done better through Orlando or St Pete, but i'm just following the boss's instructions on this one!

I love the history at LAL, i'm pretty well acquainted! (Without disclosing anything I shouldn't) I work pretty closely with the airport administration there on a regular basis. I actually was able to get up in the cab of the new tower on the first day it was open last year!

I just found out another member of the Lancers lives in Land O' Lakes, Florida, really close to me.

How about it?  Anyone else here in the Tampa area, other than Xantos12?  If so, we should get together for a mini-con/meetup/whatever.  It would have been nice to have some folks to go see the Dunkirk movie with, as the wife and kids don't like that sort of thing.

-Irish

The Homestead/Miami area is going to get it worse than they did from Andrew in '92.  Fortunately, they enacted stricter building codes after that storm, so it won't be as bad as it could have been.  *crosses fingers*  Best wishes from the other side of the state.

-Irish

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0