• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mouldyk

Capturing should be F2P forever.

30 posts in this topic

It's a big deterrent from people sticking around and I think letting people cap for all campaigns will increase the player-base a lot, which would lead to bigger battles and more fun! :)

I mean I used to be a premium subscriber for a year, but I stopped because I could no longer afford it, but after getting my name changed so I could get a free account with the same name, i'm back because of the Free Capping.

Actually, looking at all the C-115 changes:

F2P ACCESS BOOST FOR C-115

Free players will receive an elevated level of access for the duration of the Campaign, which will include:

Capturing Facilities (Rank Required: Any).

Infantry Binoculars (Rank Required: Any).

Place Foxholes (Rank Required: Any).

Submachine Gun (Rank Required: 2).

Mortarman (Rank Required: 2).

Infantry Fighting Vehicles: Vickers, R35, Panzer IIc (Rank Required: 2).

STARTER ACCESS BOOST FOR C-115

Includes all F2P boosts as well (as seen above, same rank requirements).

Light tanks: A13, H39, 38T (Rank Required: 1).

Grenadier (Rank Required: 3).

Engineer (Rank Required: 5).

Use the engineer to deploy "Gun Emplacement" pits.

Naval Destroyers (Rank 1).

I think this is how it should be from now on because it seems fair.

Maybe also give Starters Tier 0 Bombers though. ;)

Either way, I like these changes. I'll be back to Starter soon maybe!

Edited by mouldyk

$4.99 per month and you can cap..

If you cant afford that then you probably shouldnt be using your time to play video games

Yes, but it is still locking away a fundamental part of the game away from would-be subscribers.

I've seen so many people turned off from the game because they feel there is no point in engaging in a war when they cannot cap.

Just watch this go on Steam and hundreds of people be like:

"Game is Pay to Win because you can't do sh*t unless you pay! You can't even capture a base, so what's the point?!"

Personally, i'd pay the $4.99 when I get a job because I enjoy the game.

I mean the bigger problem the game faces is Premium Members wanting to come back, but only as Starter Members. They can't do that.

That's why after 1 year of paying and not being able to anymore because of no job, I had to lose my old account in favor of this new one.

People will not like that when it comes to Steam, I can guarantee that.

Just watch this go on Steam and hundreds of people be like:

"Game is Pay to Win because you can't do sh*t unless you pay! You can't even capture a base, so what's the point?!"

SOMEONE (you, perhaps) should then point out to those hundreds of people that there are NO microtransactions in this game, so it can't be pay to win. Pay to win is where people use microtransactions to purchase overpowered items which give them an advantage. The free game is a trial version, and it makes the Rats ZERO money with which to keep the game operating. They already have a HUGE discount with the $4.99 starter account, over the normal monthly fee.

As someone who happily paid $14.99 a month, TEN YEARS AGO, for City of Heroes, I can tell you $14.99 a month isn't much. One movie ticket with a soft drink and popcorn costs more than a month's worth of 24/7 live gaming.

My family is on fixed income (disability), so I can't do the $14.99 right now. Hopefully, I will be able to, in the near future. Even so, at this time, I'm finding the $4.99 to at least put SOME money into the game and show my support for what the Rats (devs) are doing.

-Irish

+1 it should be capturable forever for f2p... it keeps people in, also premium people can do more, they are more interested and propably will continue subscription because they can take f2p players into actions and have more fun and tactically more advantage.... it is not enough to have some premium accounts here and there capping... they cant do as much as with f2p could cap, so that makes them interested more.

i think, rather take more features off than block capturing from f2p. (i mean features and/or weapons from f2p)....

capturing, it is needed for everyone!

+1 it should be capturable forever for f2p... it keeps people in, also premium people can do more, they are more interested and propably will continue subscription because they can take f2p players into actions and have more fun and tactically more advantage.... it is not enough to have some premium accounts here and there capping... they cant do as much as with f2p could cap, so that makes them interested more.

i think, rather take more features off than block capturing from f2p. (i mean features and/or weapons from f2p)....

capturing, it is needed for everyone!

But if you take more features off then the new player wouldn't be able to try out all aspects of the game. And I think having the ability to cap wouldn't make people not want to subscribe at all since capping is like the most boring, but important thing in the game and people would be more interested in using different vehicles and weapons etc.

But if you take more features off then the new player wouldn't be able to try out all aspects of the game. And I think having the ability to cap wouldn't make people not want to subscribe at all since capping is like the most boring' date=' but important thing in the game and people would be more interested in using different vehicles and weapons etc.[/quote']

they can try them in offline and intermissions etc.... so, i think capping is the most important. f2p players feel themselves so useless. also premium players dont like if they cant cap because then. the game is same as there was only premium accounts and no f2p at all. if we look in aspect of strategy and progress of campaign... :/ i am f2p and i could use only rifle and light AA and atg and one plane per side... what keeps me interested is capturing, and population.

"what keeps me interested is capturing, and population"

Yet not interested enough to pay them a subscription, and that's what they need from you. If they give you that which keeps you here, for free, they lose. This is the nature of the business that CRS are currently trying to maintain. You may disagree, but you probably wouldn't if you worked there.

...And I think having the ability to cap wouldn't make people not want to subscribe at all since capping is like the most boring...

Speak for yourself! :)

Capping is not boring as it gives people an objective to do.

If a free player can't cap, then what is he to the Premium Subs in terms of taking a city?

You could argue that they are key for assaults, but what if you do a paradrop with 3 Subs and 7 F2Ps and the F2Ps survive but the subs do not, where do the F2Ps go?

They could maybe maintain a footing in a building for the 10 minutes or so it takes for another Para Drop...or they could touchdown and start capping an area to get the tide of battle swaying towards your side.

And I can be sure some people think "Ugh, if only these people were Subs, they'd be able to capture this area." But instead, the Free players have to hold out until a Sub gets there, which is actually effort since they know that they are standing in an area which could be capped, but they cannot do it. Therefore, they feel useless.

Take today for example: I managed to kill 3 people and capture an area on my own while the enemy were distracted...if I could not cap, then that would be an area which would not have been capped and the battle could have been so much different.

And also, technically, whatever Side has more Subs can capture areas faster...making the War actually Pay To Win because without paying, you really can't win. ;D

Yet not interested enough to pay them a subscription' date=' and that's what they need from you. If they give you that which keeps you here, for free, they lose. This is the nature of the business that CRS are currently trying to maintain. You may disagree, but you probably wouldn't if you worked there.[/quote']

But that's the thing. If they don't give people something that keeps them there, for free, they also lose.

Letting everyone Capture will not ruin the business in any way, but instead keep people in the game and allow them to be more invested, increasing the playerbase, thus improving the state of the game.

More Free Players ---> More Battles ---> More Fun ---> More Subscribers.

Right now, only the die-hards would subscribe to a game which is outdated and has a low-population.

I love the game to bits and know that when it comes on Steam, the population could get a huge influx, but imagine if only 1% of the population could capture. It'd be annoying.

People should subscribe to the game to progress further...not unlock the fun of the game.

Edited by mouldyk

Speak for yourself! :)

Capping is not boring as it gives people an objective to do.

If a free player can't cap, then what is he to the Premium Subs in terms of taking a city?

You could argue that they are key for assaults, but what if you do a paradrop with 3 Subs and 7 F2Ps and the F2Ps survive but the subs do not, where do the F2Ps go?

They could maybe maintain a footing in a building for the 10 minutes or so it takes for another Para Drop...or they could touchdown and start capping an area to get the tide of battle swaying towards your side.

And I can be sure some people think "Ugh, if only these people were Subs, they'd be able to capture this area." But instead, the Free players have to hold out until a Sub gets there, which is actually effort since they know that they are standing in an area which could be capped, but they cannot do it. Therefore, they feel useless.

Take today for example: I managed to kill 3 people and capture an area on my own while the enemy were distracted...if I could not cap, then that would be an area which would not have been capped and the battle could have been so much different.

And also, technically, whatever Side has more Subs can capture areas faster...making the War actually Pay To Win because without paying, you really can't win. ;D

But that's the thing. If they don't give people something that keeps them there, for free, they also lose.

Letting everyone Capture will not ruin the business in any way, but instead keep people in the game and allow them to be more invested, increasing the playerbase, thus improving the state of the game.

More Free Players ---> More Battles ---> More Fun ---> More Subscribers.

Right now, only the die-hards would subscribe to a game which is outdated and has a low-population.

I love the game to bits and know that when it comes on Steam, the population could get a huge influx, but imagine if only 1% of the population could capture. It'd be annoying.

People should subscribe to the game to progress further...not unlock the fun of the game.

I agree 100%. I have always paid full subscription when I have played, but I have carefully observed the difference that this campaign has made on the f2p community in combat. They are so much more focused on teamwork during attacks and defenses. Communication and team play is now engaging and serves a higher purpose. When a player is experiencing the synergy of teamwork, they are able to then actually experience the heart of this game. They will soon realize subscribing isn't just more toys to kill people with, but more equipment to add a higher level of strategy and excitement. Instead of being the rifleman capping the CP, they will eventually want to be the LMG cutting off the door to the bunker. By establishing the importance of infantry through first hand experience of capturing CPs, subscribing for better equipment will be even more appealing and satisfying to the new player. Once they taste the thrill of accomplishment, they will want to expand on this by subbing. Without the core understanding of the infantry player's purpose, we are just a bunch of chat spamming snipers and campers with fancy equipment to them. If they just want better equipment to kill people with, they will likely go to a different and more recent FPS game because they never will understand the big picture of ww2ol that makes it so unique. You gotta get them hooked on the REAL basics first. Now from a business perspective, yes I'm fine with reducing the equipment that f2p can use. All they really need is a riflemen unit, light tank unit, and basic aircraft unit to try things out. They don't need to start with an SMG, although I do like seeing f2p players mopping up close quarters combat more effectively.

Edited by snipey

umm... yeah, i totally would pay full subscription and even hero if i just could... btw, other thing what will make people more interested is upcoming patches which i personally, cant wait!!! :D

but, hey... this is very hard to control between population of f2p and premium and winning money... i know it. and i dont say CRS is full of dicks who think just and only for money, i know it isnt like that. i understand that they need to do something to keep up the game AND fun somehow. but this game is made for full realism and it still needs real teamwork to be the game it should be, so. if you cant capture anything, you are mostly useless... unless you have really good aim and can fight long battles without dying much, like covering the premium players from enemies entering CP or so. thats what i have been trying to do, but without good squad (atm i dont have very active squad :mad: )

btw.. EVERYTHING what is good and keeps people playing and coming more peeps and having fun and teamwork. everything is welcome for me. i can almost smell the players flooding server from steam after few patches and success in steam!! :cool:

S! and sorry i cant subscribe. Tomppeli2k

I agree 100%. I have always paid full subscription when I have played' date=' but I have carefully observed the difference that this campaign has made on the f2p community in combat. They are so much more focused on teamwork during attacks and defenses. Communication and team play is now engaging and serves a higher purpose. When a player is experiencing the synergy of teamwork, they are able to then actually experience the heart of this game. They will soon realize subscribing isn't just more toys to kill people with, but more equipment to add a higher level of strategy and excitement. Instead of being the rifleman capping the CP, they will eventually want to be the LMG cutting off the door to the bunker. By establishing the importance of infantry through first hand experience of capturing CPs, subscribing for better equipment will be even more appealing and satisfying to the new player. Once they taste the thrill of accomplishment, they will want to expand on this by subbing. Without the core understanding of the infantry player's purpose, we are just a bunch of chat spamming snipers and campers with fancy equipment to them. If they just want better equipment to kill people with, they will likely go to a different and more recent FPS game because they never will understand the big picture of ww2ol that makes it so unique. You gotta get them hooked on the REAL basics first. Now from a business perspective, yes I'm fine with reducing the equipment that f2p can use. All they really need is a riflemen unit, light tank unit, and basic aircraft unit to try things out. They don't need to start with an SMG, although I do like seeing f2p players mopping up close quarters combat more effectively.[/quote']

yeah. thats what im meaning. i would almost give my rifle for instead keeping capping for f2p!! :D (rly, dont take it too real :DDD)

i rly love this game, and i want to help so much... but i cant even have my own hobbies i am interested because ME AND OUR FAMILY doesnt have work or money...

if i would win in lottery... lets say... 10 million euros... i would give one million to develope this game and if not less... then one million to kfsone to HELP YOU WITH THE CODES which is needed for the biggest developments like continue map and add so much more features etc... if its true what i have heard... i would like to hear the truth... also i would like to know why kfsone doesnt want to help you.. :(

It's a big deterrent from people sticking around and I think letting people cap for all campaigns will increase the player-base a lot, which would lead to bigger battles and more fun! :)

I mean I used to be a premium subscriber for a year, but I stopped because I could no longer afford it, but after getting my name changed so I could get a free account with the same name, i'm back because of the Free Capping.

Actually, looking at all the C-115 changes:

I think this is how it should be from now on because it seems fair.

Maybe also give Starters Tier 0 Bombers though. ;)

Either way, I like these changes. I'll be back to Starter soon maybe!

Well this thread seems full of people loving the free to play changes, I currently pay full price per month as do some other people. Hey here's a thought! Because F2P is so cool, let's all unsub and play for free! That'll work right?! :D

... Call me a hater if you want, but all I see f2p players doing is wasting supply, moaning about not getting enough for free and then quitting the game anyway.

I think F2P should get:

- The ability to capture cp's

- Riflemen

That's it, it's free, you get what you pay for, so if you pay nothing and get 2 things then you're already winning.

Starter accounts should upgrade you to:

- All Tier 0/1 stuff, this should never be removed, stuff like AT rifles, hurri 2b's, 109 e4's, pnz 2c, Stuart's etc that become less useful in late tier, don't remove it from the game as the tiers progress, give it to the freebro's as support.

Full sub accounts should get:

- Everything

I reckon this access plan should provide both a bigger desire and satisfaction to upgrade to the starter account, aswell as creating a more dynamic battlefield featuring all weapons from the game continuously, even if some of it is technologically less advanced, it can still be used for support (mortars :o)

OR

Restructure the equipment/vehicle unlocking mechanic to make it take more effort and success in game (more kills/captures required to level up, for example) and flip the subscription incentives around to provide a level up speed increase (+50%?) to unlock the higher tier/better equipment/vehicles faster like in other F2P fps games, like Planetside 2. Every new player upon entering the game would start out with access to tier 0 stuff and progress upwards towards the end tier from there. Such a large change would be best done with a server wide reset, meaning we all start from the ground up once more, but who cares right? The guys that have played since release need something to do anyway, it's too stale, musty and old atm.

This sounds quite game changing I know, and that's exactly what ww2 online needs. With the utmost respect, the community that has ran this game (into the ground) since its release over a decade ago, have lost touch with modern games and gamers, and I don't believe that the subscription/unlock model of the game is either functional nor attractive to new customers in todays market.

People expect alot more gratification these days, and i'm not saying that in a bad way at all, i'm saying we need an in-game achievement system with some challenging and fun achievements to get as we play the campaign, we need titles which can slip in next to our name for achieving certain achievements, High Command would be 'HC' for example (Making a 700m shot with a bolt action could be 'hawkeye' etc), HC should be influenced by the playerbase as opposed to being ran by a select few in it, there's loads of stuff that needs to be done to bring this game into 2015, and until this, what is now classed as 'basic' stuff is done, I believe it will be stuck in purgatory awaiting its fait.

We need to target a younger audience and tap into the flowing vein of modern day gamers, i'm 26 and have friends ranging from 18 - 30... Not one of them can see passed the game's outdated feel (not the graphics) to continue playing, very few can, but with content such as achievements and a more involving weapon unlocking system, more weapons throughout all tiers (dynamic possibilities and more chances to counter enemy movements) etc basically less restricting 'realism' ('realism' goes out of the window when you can smack a sherman with 3 88mm shells in its side and watch it rotate it's turret and return fire and de-gun you in 1 shot anyway) and more focus on the fact that this is a game and people play it to have fun, if it isn't fun, which frankly to alot of new players it's not atm, then it won't do well.

Either way though, a game that is struggling financially cannot afford to give it's product(s) away for free in bulk, if at all.

That's what I think anyway! :)

Edited by padawan

Seems I misunderstood something in my previous post! I thought the old tech like ATR's and Mortars were removed in late tiers, I wasn't aware the flags they remain in are hidden away and mostly unused by the order of HC lol. :rolleyes:

But even so I think ATR's and Mortars should be available in all flags as they're 1) uber useful and 2) uber fun!

But alass, I digress!

I agree with most of what you say.

I think capping is the prime thing which should be free.

And Riflemen aswell as one ground vehicle and one air.

But the game is becoming a bit of a relic, I agree.

In-Game Achievements though? Nah mate!

Just a new subscription model and some other things are needed.

Pretty much agree on this.

In-game achievements to unlock no-game enhancing rewards ( e.g. medals)

I agree with most of what you say.

I think capping is the prime thing which should be free.

And Riflemen aswell as one ground vehicle and one air.

But the game is becoming a bit of a relic, I agree.

In-Game Achievements though? Nah mate!

Just a new subscription model and some other things are needed.

Pretty much agree on this.

In-game achievements to unlock no-game enhancing rewards ( e.g. medals)

yeah, propa could make us medals, which we could see in game menus and maybe on CS&R? :)

How about a f2p can cap but 50% slower then a non f2p account ?

And/Or f2p account dont get any points for capping ...

Just some thoughts.. :rolleyes:

All players should be able to capture for Free-to-Play IMO. It just really sucks for them and even gives a bad feeling to premium players that they cannot at least capture a flag -- it likely reduces overall player count too (* see next paragraphs regarding test methods); it can be awkward too. It's the same feeling I get when I sit next to poor kids in a movie theater while sucking down my $oda pop and munching my popcorn$; the kids, who were fortunate to just be able pay for the ticket, quietly look my way and it's just a cr@p feeling because when I was a kid a 10 dollar bill could pay for everything.

Now, I know what you're going to say -- bad business model, we need to profit ... and I hear you, but hear me out. CRS must admit that many players, to include myself and even BILTON were strongly suggesting the idea of filling the map with "free rifles" since way back in 2003 and 2004, and the CRS team would say "No no no -- bad business model, no profit there -- just [server/network/resource] loss"; it seemed like the CRS team did not experiment with that idea back then to achieve certainty with its infeasibility -- and that was also suggested. The devs are Computer Scientists! A test method could have been: take a snapshot of Current Subscriber Growth Percentage (SG%) and Active Player Base Count (APB#) -- the devs would get the idea as they're the scientists, ... then try "free rifles" for 1 year or even just 6 months and then wait another 6 months or year and then analyze the subscriber growth percentage and active player base count to see if there were any significant changes. If the CRS team implemented "free rifles" back in 2003-2004, when many players started suggesting, then this game could have been HUGE because NO COMPANY was doing that back then. That gain could have possibly made up for the subscriber loss due to the initial launch issues in 2001. Now, of course, many companies are doing F2P; I believe that this game started doing this marketing tactic only AFTER it had been shown to "work" by other companies' initial experiments. It is still a business expense, like advertising, but it has been proven to increase profits and that is why this game recently started doing it.

So here we are with players, to include myself, saying give "free rifles" the ability to cap a flag and the response is the same "bad business -- no profit". Capping a flag is important;

it makes a player really feel part of the game in a way that goes far beyond merely racking up a kill point as "rifle". When a player sees that a flag has been captured in the main HUD text, and that town has been thrown into contestation on the main map because of THEIR capture act ... well, that player is going to come back again-and-again-and-again. This gives the marketing group successive chances to reel the player into the next $5 subscription tier via emails and in-game notices. Remember, it is much harder for marketing to reel in a F2P player once they leave for longer periods or permanently. Many of the F2P players, that continue to play, will eventually move up to the next subscription tier IMO; they will tire of trying to use a rifle and be gunned down by smg/lmg, they will tire of being pinned or taken out by armor without permit to use them, they will tire of being unable to lay large waste to a town in a bomber, they will tire of trying to find someone to post a mission, and they will always wonder about the power and mystique of higher rank -- especially the officer class.

To know 100% for certain whether it would be profitable (and generally increase long-term player base), the CRS team should conduct a test method for 6 months or a year of "rifles without cap" and then check subscriber growth percentage and active player base count, ... then allow "free rifles with cap" for 6 months or a year and then again check subscriber growth percentage and active player base count for any [significant] increases. If it does not increase [or hardly], then don't implement it; however, I have a gut feeling that it will increase. The various degrees of subscriptions should be for rank/HC, equipment, and skins IMO -- not for capping. For example, look at Star Wars: The Old Republic (a game I play) ... and I know I know what you are going to say [apples-to-oranges], but hear me out; it allows you to do EVERYTHING up to level 9, which is about 10% the total levels -- it shows the game's F2P generosity as gaming journalists -- even negative reviewers, ADMIT to SWTOR's F2P level 9 generosity when writing about it. Players can tell when a game pinches pennies with them and IMO that will be the level of that game's profit ... pennies.

[uPDATE: I just saw leanderj's last post of giving them 50% cap speed and would even nod my agreement to that -- again conduct a test trial to support any potential subscriber growth].

just my dirty little ho

;-)

Edited by vonguff

yeah that would be :) maybe' date=' or then they will be frustrated when getting more work to get on level 2 xD[/quote']

True.. but then again you have something to pay for... you want quicker cap and point gain... go buy an account... ;)

I just joined 2 days ago with the free account and I could cap. I really enjoyed the gameplay and the game so I purchased the 4.99 package.

I'm sorry but if you can't afford 4.99 then you need to go get a job. When you say you can't afford 4.99 then that says a lot about your situation. All these long-winded posts crying about what someone who plays for free can't do. Really ???

Let's see 4.99 divided by 31 days comes out to .16 cents a day. If you can't afford 16 pennies a day to play a game then you don't need to be here crying about anything.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0