Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixpence

processors

28 posts in this topic

I am looking to upgrade from an old am2 amd dual core. I was wondering if the quad cores are useful in this game or it doesn't use the extra cores. I can get a nice i3 or i5 dual core for a decent $

I don't want to go crazy, but I am in need of an upgrade and I'm on a low budget. If quad cores increase frame rates significantly, I will spent the extra $100

go with an unlocked i5 and overclock to over 4.0 ghz

Ok, but...that does not answer the question. Is there a difference in game with extra cores. Will a quad core 3.2 ghz get better fps than a 3.2 ghz dual core?

Unfortunately this game doesn't scale with the number of cores at all, still the best unit is the one from the latest Intel Core2Duo, over-clocking at its best. That Am2 you're running isn't far off either, coming to answer your question, if you want to invest, increasing memory bandwidth will get you the most bang for the buck, replace your old GPU every now and then. But the increase in performance is rather lousy, considering the change of CPU including main-board will boost transfer rates by quite a margin. When it comes to this game you won't need an expensive rig, safe that money for your subscription.

so long Slpr

Unfortunately this game doesn't scale with the number of cores at all, still the best unit is the one from the latest Intel Core2Duo, over-clocking at its best. That Am2 you're running isn't far off either, coming to answer your question, if you want to invest, increasing memory bandwidth will get you the most bang for the buck, replace your old GPU every now and then. But the increase in performance is rather lousy, considering the change of CPU including main-board will boost transfer rates by quite a margin. When it comes to this game you won't need an expensive rig, safe that money for your subscription.

so long Slpr

Increasing memory bandwidth?

Because this game does not thread well you are looking for higher GHZ instead of more cores. However one would assume that in the future with development going on now that that will get better in time. I would not hinge your upgrade soley on this game.

Increasing memory bandwidth?

Memory with a higher mhz. The higher the better (depending what your motherboard can support of course).

Memory with a higher mhz. The higher the better (depending what your motherboard can support of course).

Ok, I understand now. I noticed when I shopped. I have found 2666 speed memory for a decent price. I have to upgrade somewhat anyway, as my msi 2007 motherboard is beginning to fail. The amd 2.9 barton am2 socket is way out of date.

I picked up an intell i3 3.7 for $100 and 8 gig gskill ram for $54 @ 2666 speed. I have a motherboard or two I am deciding on...asus and msi...both for around $100. I figure I will spend under $300...I can live with that. I have already purchased and installed a low profile r7 200 series that seems to be enough to get the gpu job done. It has brought my fps up from the nvidia gt 7950 I had

I am getting around 20 fps in light battles....it drops down to the teens and single digits at times when server is populated and battles are heavy. If and when I get the upgrade complete I will let you know if there are any performance increases

Sorry this is taking so long. I am getting parts as I can afford them. One thing I would like to ask is about after market cooling. I went with the intel i3, but every review I have read about the stock heatsink and fan is not good and they have gone with an after market. Some use tall tower type that seem to avoid getting close to any memory. Some say you don't need much more than what the stock offers as the intels do not run as hot as amd. Has anyone used an after market heatsink and fan for intel 1150 socket?

Aftermarket Tower Cooler blowing towards the back of the case where case exhaust fan is - always

Advantages:

- Quieter

- more headroom w regards to possible OC (w FSB - we talked about that on side)

- more headroom w regards to OC and summer temperatures

-Better overall air flow through case since it helps the case exhaust fan pulling air through and out of case instead of creating turbulence around the CPU and such swirling hot air across parts (memory and such)

Halfway decent tower cooler can be had for 20 bucks already

Sorry this is taking so long. I am getting parts as I can afford them. One thing I would like to ask is about after market cooling. I went with the intel i3' date=' but every review I have read about the stock heatsink and fan is not good and they have gone with an after market. Some use tall tower type that seem to avoid getting close to any memory. Some say you don't need much more than what the stock offers as the intels do not run as hot as amd. Has anyone used an after market heatsink and fan for intel 1150 socket?[/quote']

Usually I find the heatsink that Intel provide is just barely enough to keep the processor at a good temperature at stock speed. As said above - after market coolers can be got starting at $20.

My Intel i7 was on a custom water cooling loop and overclocked to 4.6ghz. (Waaay over kill for just this game). But temps were 70 degrees celcius or so under load in summer.

Because I'm changing around my system it's back on air cooling for now at stock speed. I'm using an Arctic Freezer 13 - 200 watt. (roughly $30) (there's a difference between the 200 watt and non 200 watt so be careful with that). At stock speed under 100% load in summer I'm sitting between 75-80 degrees celcius. Obviously every CPU is different and there's going to be a difference between the i7 and i3 but while playing the game my cpu with air cooling sits happily around 40 degrees celcius.

The thing is though. Going from 4.6ghz back to stock 3ghz. There's been no change in FPS. This game simply isn't CPU intensive. And personally, if I was in your situation I'd be siding more of my money towards a better graphics card than uber cooling for a cpu that isn't going to be stressed.

Edited by blipoop

Usually I find the heatsink that Intel provide is just barely enough to keep the processor at a good temperature at stock speed. As said above - after market coolers can be got starting at $20.

My Intel i7 was on a custom water cooling loop and overclocked to 4.6ghz. (Waaay over kill for just this game). But temps were 70 degrees celcius or so under load in summer.

Because I'm changing around my system it's back on air cooling for now at stock speed. I'm using an Arctic Freezer 13 - 200 watt. (roughly $30) (there's a difference between the 200 watt and non 200 watt so be careful with that). At stock speed under 100% load in summer I'm sitting between 75-80 degrees celcius. Obviously every CPU is different and there's going to be a difference between the i7 and i3 but while playing the game my cpu with air cooling sits happily around 40 degrees celcius.

The thing is though. Going from 4.6ghz back to stock 3ghz. There's been no change in FPS. This game simply isn't CPU intensive. And personally, if I was in your situation I'd be siding more of my money towards a better graphics card than uber cooling for a cpu that isn't going to be stressed.

Actually, I get from a lot of people that the cpu is more important than the gpu...*shrugs* However, when I started overclocking my 2.6 barton in increments, I did notice that I got better fps as I increased the frequency. At 2.6 I was under 20 fps, as I got to 3.1ghz I got up to 24. Each little increment gave me 2-4 fps.

Now THAT being said, I replaced my nvidia gt 7950 with a radeon r7 200 and got 5+ on fps.

Now I just ran into a problem. As I studied this memory bandwidth thing, I found that your cpu must support higher memory bandwidth....the i3 I purchased does not....only up to 1600. So much for the 2400 I purchased (sorry, not the 2666 I thought). So I have learned that not only does your motherboard have to support higher memory bandwidth, so does your cpu *edit* And I cannot find info on memory bandwidth support on any cpu I look at

Edited by sixpence

Ok, a little more research...http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1890725/cpu-support-1600-mhz-ram-speed-benefit-buy-2400-mhz-ram.html

"What Intel did is basically saying "If you run our CPUs at stock speeds, we guarantee your system is stable with 1600 RAM."

However, I recently saw an interview with JJ from Asus and he said that he has been told by Intel techies that they would have been ok with recommending up to 2800 RAM, too. "

So what I am getting from this is it will run at higher ram speed....however I wonder if locked multiplier makes a difference even though I am not overclocking the cpu itself. I am going to try and contact intel

*edit* According to this http://ark.intel.com/ support for higher than 1600 ram doesn't even exist til 6th generation cpu's....huh? And that is only 2130 ddr4

Edited by sixpence

Ok, after waiting over a half hour to talk to an intel tech, I got some answers.

Basically you can overclock your ram speed with motherboards that have xmp(I have that right?), it ups your ram. But it voids the warranty of the cpu. He says models that end with 'K' are the best for this. Again, 6th generation support higher speed ram. Anything under 6th is considered overclocking the cpu if you up your ram above 1600 speed and void the warranty.

From what I got even those with locked multipliers will run the higher ram speed automatically if the motherboard asks for it. Interesting stuff

Ok, I have put together a cheap build.

I replaced my old msi k9n4 sli motherboard and dual core amd am2 socket 3.1 ghz with an i3 dual core hyperthreaded 3.7ghz($109) and asus h97m plus motherboard($100) and 8 gig 1600 ram($54)

I used my existing r7 200 graphics card, fatality1 550 watt ps, case, etc.

With the old mobo and cpu I benched offline using benchremagen/benchinfantry at 24fps

With new cpu and mobo same bench was 71fps...wow! I more than doubled my fps.

I would say the intel i3 4170 was the difference...but I am sure the asus motherboard helped. I hope this information helps anyone looking to upgrade an old system

Took my 3.5ghz i5 and overclocked it too 4.0ghz it was easy in the motherboard bios I adjust the core clock to 40 multiplier and tested now getting 84fps in battle. Using the stock fan never seeing anything above 74 C. It is a win win its the ghz the chip is running at that counts most for this game.

Took my 3.5ghz i5 and overclocked it too 4.0ghz it was easy in the motherboard bios I adjust the core clock to 40 multiplier and tested now getting 84fps in battle. Using the stock fan never seeing anything above 74 C. It is a win win its the ghz the chip is running at that counts most for this game.

74C? That seems high. I am running game at 31c

at maximum load under stress testing, in game I get around 55 C

for the i5 4690k the temps are all as follows:

80C Hot

70C Warm (Heavy Load)

60C Norm

50C Norm (Medium Load)

40C Norm

30C Cool (Idle)

So well within normal operating temps.

This is with the stock cooler mind you. I am purchasing an evo 212 cooler and then im going to crank the clock to 4.6 Ghz at 1.200v.

MORE POWER MOOOREE!!!!

Edited by atlantic

at maximum load under stress testing, in game I get around 55 C

for the i5 4690k the temps are all as follows:

80C Hot

70C Warm (Heavy Load)

60C Norm

50C Norm (Medium Load)

40C Norm

30C Cool (Idle)

So well within normal operating temps.

This is with the stock cooler mind you. I am purchasing an evo 212 cooler and then im going to crank the clock to 4.6 Ghz at 1.200v.

MORE POWER MOOOREE!!!!

I have that tower cooler....didn't see my i3 go above 31c

Daughter has the pc I built....hers died and she needed one. I now have her old pieces...thermaltake 650 watt and gtx 260 overclocked graphics card. I am using my old mobo and cpu....but cpu will not overclock now...stuck at 2.81ghz. Benched 24 fps at remagen....back where I started. Going to get another i3, but I will have to slowly get the parts I need. Just a cpu/cooler and motherboard though. I still have the 2400 speed ram I purchased before learning the cpu limited the memory to 1600 speed. It will work but max out at 1600

My first Newegg review

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117543

i3 4170

Pros: Fast and built in graphics. Hyperthreaded. If you are on a budget and want performance...you cannot go wrong here. Some say it is only dual core, but it is hyperthreaded, it runs faster than some quad cores. Runs cool with aftermarket tower cooler and low power drain.

Cons: As some have stated, the stock cooling is questionable and I didn't bother with it. I always use after market anyway, no egg loss there.

Other Thoughts: Was running an old am2 socket dual core at 3.1ghz(brisbane 5600 oc'd) , 8 gig 800 speed memory and an msi k9n4 sli mobo. I kept old power supply, case and graphics card. I upgraded to this processor, an asus H97M plus mobo and 8 gig 1600 speed ram. I play Battleground Europe and benched in game at 24 fps under old system. New system benches at 71 fps....nearly tripled my frame rates. Mind you, I have an r7 200 low profile graphics card...nothing to write home about. The built in graphics of the i3 is pretty impressive. You don't have to pay big $$ for a new rig, just upgrade with this cpu. It will not disappoint.

SPECS:

i3 4170 3.7ghz

Asus H97M-plus motherboard

R7 200 graphics card

EVGA 1600 speed memory 8gig

Fatality1 550 watt power supply

Ok, I have to upgrade to sata as the new motherboards do not have an IDE port.

The costs are now expanded to a cheap dvd drive to install the operating system and a solid state hard drive. There are sata disk drives, but for the cost, what I need for storage, what you get for performance and the fact that they will probably be the next dinosaur to go....why bother?

Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128770

Found this detailed review http://extremespec.net/gigabyte-ga-h81m-s1-review-design-testing-performance/

$40 If it performs up to it's specs, it's a good deal

SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226677

Solid state drive, 60GB, for $37.....I do not need a lot of storage, there are usb flash drives for that. I run an 80GB WD disk and only use half the space. This will be my first solid state HD, I am anxious to see the boot up speed everyone talks about.

Another i3 3.7ghz 4170 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117543

I have always been an AMD guy, but I have to tell you, cheap hyperthreaded intels are the way to go. This i3 draws 54w and pumps out 3.7ghz of hyperthreaded goodness...not to mention the built in graphics(4400) You are getting a high output motor that runs on water.

Now they have an i3 3.7ghz 4360 for $149 and a 4370 3.8ghz for $147, but the $24 savings basically paid for my tower cooler. Now you could say go with stock cooling, but I have always been told heat is the enemy.

Tower cooler $30

Mushkin SSD $37

Samsung DVD drive $20

CPU $125

Mobo $40

$252 I have the memory already, but even with that we will say $300. I didn't spend less, but I got more. I hope this helps anyone who has stayed away from the game because of cost to upgrade. It's like buying a hot rod back in the day. In 1970 you walk in to buy a brand new charger, but money is tight. You get one that has no bucket seats, no a/c, no radio, no power windows, no pin stripes....stripped down. But it does have a 383, four speed and a dana rear end

The AMD board is barely getting along now. Trashed a lot of hardware yesterday. Gigabyte am2 motherboard with cpu and copper heat sink, IDE hard drives, floppy drives, IDE cd/dvd roms, fans, etc. Scrap guy going to be happy. A lot changes in 5 years

After I toss this MSI board I will have a couple of nice sets of 240 pin DDR2 ram for anyone who is interested

You already picked the right one but you might find this interesting anyway

"Core i3-4170 be a good starting point "

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-3.html

I noticed the second one down is AMD...says 4 cores and 8 threads....didn't know they had hyperthreading. But I also noticed it doesn't have built in graphics. As I mentioned before, the first system I put together has an R7 200 low profile graphics card($69 on newegg) that doesn't even require a power line from the power supply. Got a 71 fps offline benchremagen/benchinfantry an only dropped to high fifties(briefly) in city battle online. The built in graphics of the intels will also save you big $$ on a graphics card. You will probably not have to upgrade.

The one I am putting together now has an old GTX 260 overclock card I purchased 2009-2010ish. This dinosaur has TWO lines of power needed coming from the power supply and takes up two slots on the rear of the case. It was part of another am2 computer my daughter had that died(she has the system I just upgraded). Luckily that system had a thermaltake 650w power supply. Honestly, I am wondering if the R7 will out perform the GTX...we'll see.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0