• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtrain

Make Forming Squads Require Two People Only

12 posts in this topic

We need to make forming squads easier. We should only need two people to form a squad. People want to play in a team and there are way too few active squads right now. Playing in a squad adds depth, adds comraderie, and makes people want to play. If people have the initiative and desire to form their own squad, they should have the ablilty to do so. This has been a frustration of mine for a long time, and with population levels lower now than ever, it's even more important that this gets implemented ASAP.

I think the current number required (5) is a good point. It allows for the creation of a squad with relatively few players, but still requires that more than 1 or 2 individual players.

If the number were 2, while there would be more squads, the current situation of "empty" squads would be even worse. That or there would be so many squads that they would generally become irrelevant.

There already exist hundreds of squads (maybe even thousands) - goto the CSR pages and look at any of the squad stats. Those are squads who have has someone make at least a sortie this campaign, I'd wager that there is an equally long list of squads that are still "formed" but completely inactive.

Edited by b2k

No offense, b2k, but you're an active squad leader. (One of very few) and a great one, mind you. But you are biased. You want people to join your squad, so a higher number required to form a new one is beneficial for you. If there is a problem with too many inactive squads, someone from CRS can go in and delete them. That sounds like a separate issue. To anyone currently motivated to try to form their own squad, good luck trying to find 5 unsquaded and willing players online at the same time to do it.

No offense' date=' b2k, but you're an active squad leader. (One of very few) and a great one, mind you. But you are biased. You want people to join your squad, so a higher number required to form a new one is beneficial for you. If there is a problem with too many inactive squads, someone from CRS can go in and delete them. That sounds like a separate issue. To anyone currently motivated to try to form their own squad, good luck trying to find 5 unsquaded and willing players online at the same time to do it.[/quote']

None taken, there are those who equally think im a crappy squad leader. I am a bit biased as you noted due to being a squad CO. However, if a person (s) cant get a literal handful of others (4 in addition to the one creating) to form a common cause (squad) how will that squad fare?

In my own experience, with a generally small squad, i've learned that generally players will goto a group who has more online before they will stay with one that is smaller but trying to organize. There are of course exceptions to this, and i am eternally gratefull for (and to) those players. By and large that has been the pattern that i've seen (especially since my squad has joined in the host squad rotation).

Going back to the birth of 7thast back in 2001, finding that initial core group (which is the intent of requiring 5) is kind of a pain in the ass. But once found and established those initial 5 usually form the core of the group carrying it forward.

Edited by b2k

Yes' date=' if there was a way to coalesce squads into larger, broader units[/quote']

too much blabbing on ts.

While I understand the BIG Squad mentality...

I agree that allowing smaller squads could be as good way to go.

However, I disagree that two players would really count as a squad. (And I play most games as part of a twosome.

I think that the number required to form a squad should be lowered to 3 (Three). It's enough to have a team to work together, and to form a base to grow on.

I used to play alongside a Squad that had never been real big and only had 3 active members. It was one of the most eager and helpful squads I have met. In my opinion, they really made a difference when they were playing in TZ3.

And to me, that's what having squads should be all about... playing with a team of friends who you get to know and want to play with. It keeps you logging in on those days when nothing else can. I personally belong to a big squad, but almost never get to play with them, because of TZ issues.

I think the current number required (5) is a good point. It allows for the creation of a squad with relatively few players' date=' but still requires that more than 1 or 2 individual players. [/quote']

Requiring 5 people to make a squad when peak population is 50 per side is ridiculous.

If a person and their friend try the game they should be able to squad up with no hassle.

3 does sound like a better number than 5 to form a squad. However, nothing prevents a couple of friends from using the BGE teamspeak channels, D1,P1, ground forces etc. from forming up as a fire team. I think that might have been some of the reasoning for the 5 limitation to begin with.

I used to play in a squad and I enjoyed it for the most part. One of the things I didn't enjoy so much was the amount of chatter on the TS channels when we had large groups on. At any rate, for various reasons including the one just mentioned I am now a squad-less player, IE. Lone Wolf. I'm always open to other Lone Wolves or even lonely squad players jumping on my mission and working as a fire team. I would even hop on TS if someone wanted to do that. There is never any expectation from me for a player to stay on my mission or do what I'm asking so long as they are not trolling or griefing. I should note that I always play Allied and I'm an average to below average player when it comes to skill depending, but I think I have a decent tactical mind, although I am not impervious to making mistakes.

So if you see me online and your a Lone Wolf or your squad is not active and your looking for some temporary squad like activity with no strings attached just jump on my mission or ask me to jump on yours if you feel like it and ask me to fire up TS on the BGE Allied channels if you would like voice communication. I am also very comfortable with the mission text channel if that is preferred.

I wouldn't mind forming a very small squad of like minded individuals, but I don't play the game regularly or at the same times, although lately I'm playing more than in the recent past. So it would be a waste of time and just clutter up the squad list. Unfortunately, my friends that do play other FPS's did not enjoy BGE for reasons of their own, mainly graphics quality and the steep learning curve, so I'm the only one out of my Steam friends that plays this game. I've tried to recruit my friends but to no avail.

The most fun I ever had in game is when the last squad I was in was in decline and was pretty much disbanded and the few players left played at odd hours. For a while there we had a small splinter group of 3 or 4 of us that played infantry mostly and we would spawn a couple of rifles and some supporting automatic weapons and work together tightly. It didn't last long but it was a blast when it did.

Edited by stonecomet

If you want to be a two man squad, just get on teamspeak together. But I think the way to go is join a squad for a campaign. Just inquire the role you want to play. In example, say you want to play allies for a campaign, Ask for a squad to join and explain you just want to join for the campaign.

You can still be the two of you on a separate channel and just hot key to chat to main group. I think large squads should have sub channels anyway, gets chaotic when too many are on a channel and you are all capping a cp with enemy spawning in droves.

Organized numbers carry the day in this game

Unless of course this is all about getting a squad decal or something

I'm for smaller squads too. It would help with chat immensely as one can no longer type handles into chat bar

Very siimple.

• get all the guys that want to be in your squad, into the game (spawned someplace)
  • then ask on side chat for a couple of guys willing to help you form squad but not stay in squad.
  • make sure they are spawned into game.
  • make sure all are NOT IN A SQUAD.
  • make sure you turn OFF do not accecpt squad invites

once this is done, make your squad.

then kick the excess out.

Worked for my squad.

And for all those that helped 2nd Rangers form. Thanks again.

:D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0