Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OHM

Preparing for The next Patch !!!! Now Finished !!!!!

335 posts in this topic

First extended server downage in 3+ years. Are the Rats even working on fixing the server today - Sunday? I see some forum mods still posting but that is different. Should non-beta players just check back on Monday?

An official update would be appreciated.

Well, not an official update by any means, but capping seem to be the biggest issue right now and everytime the server comes back up, rats are online testing things out with some of the playerbase. So yes, they are working.

The server was up last night and this morning, I was playing about an hour and an half ago then it went down again. There are some update post but they are usually in the form of replies in certain threads. I agree with you about posting more official updates, but as stand alone threads, instead of a reply so new people won't have to look hard for an update. Just so they are in the know and don't feel like nothing is happening. With that said the devs have been at it since the update started, as much as it sucks not playing ww2online much these last few days, I rather they take their time and get everything ironed out so the game runs smooth than rush it out and we encounter problems for weeks on in. I appreciate them blowing their whole weekend on this, I see their hard work.

The server was up last night and this morning' date=' I was playing about an hour and an half ago then it went down again. There are some update post but they are usually in the form of replies in certain threads. I agree with you about posting more official updates, but as stand alone threads, instead of a reply so new people won't have to look hard for an update. Just so they are in the know and don't feel like nothing is happening. With that said the devs have been at it since the update started, as much as it sucks not playing ww2online much these last few days, I rather they take their time and get everything ironed out so the game runs smooth than rush it out and we encounter problems for weeks on in. I appreciate them blowing their whole weekend on this, I see their hard work.[/quote']

The current issue is that capturing is not working. It is being worked on.

probably something to do with those old russian/chinese flags

You remember how sometimes flags would pop up in game that werer red with gold star.... maybe these old legacy remnants are mucking things up?

Edited by fallsjager

I miss playing for sure but the whole process is fascinating. I hope they share the gory details of what it took to accomplish this some day. You can only learn so much about a system then you have to go for it and that's when the real gremlins show up. I'd bet they learned more about the inner workings of the game this week than they have since they started with CRS.

Often after maintenance resets, one could not capture. This is a known problem with the strat server if I recall correctly. Anyone consult their old notes on that common problem in the past as to how they solved it?

Can you guys setup a webcam in the collocation facility? At least we'd have a server rack to stare at.

wish granted.

IkdmOVejUlI

Often after maintenance resets' date=' one could not capture. This is a known problem with the strat server if I recall correctly. Anyone consult their old notes on that common problem in the past as to how they solved it?[/quote']

Seconded on recalling this.

wish granted.

IkdmOVejUlI

You might need a longer video. LOL.

Just kidding Rats, thanks again for your hard work and dedication.

There should have been two (2) patches -- one that is essentially a "practice patch"

for some very minor change and, if successful, followed by the more major patch.

The problem is that, host-wise, there's only been one super-tiny change to the code, and even if it wasn't there we'd have all this trouble anyway. All of the code that has caused the trouble has been the old code: The issues have mostly a mix of accessing uninitialized variables and freed memory, behavior that's undefined but, through sheer dumb luck, happened to compile and run decently enough when the previous host was built. That's also why the capturing problem was briefly fixed, but then when we rebuilt the code for release it suddenly didn't work: The fact it had worked at all was just pure chance.

Just know that we're on the tail end of this: We seem to have a build that's working consistently, and we're going to continue cleaning up a lot of offending code and integrate those fixes into the live server to tackle any further potential issues before they pop up.

We also plan to start really working with the 1.35 code which is far cleaner overall. Unfortunately there are enough differences data/DB-wise that, if we had started with it immediately, the upgrade would have been even more painful than this one was. As an added plus, future 1.34 work will hopefully be basically painless because of of the work we've done over the last few days, so there are plans to get a few more patches out even while we're doing work on 1.35.

So once again, sorry for the delay, but we're in the home stretch here. Hell, I may even get to sleep on time for once this weekend. :D

Exciting stuff...Dont listen to the complainers..Maybe they can go outside and get a little exercise:rolleyes:

Victarus --- thanks for the update and the hard work you and the other rats are putting in. It will certainly be worth it.

Your description of the problems goes a long way to explaining why in patches years ago, addition of one new item or tweaking some aspect of the game would often at first cause bizarre and completely unrelated bugs. (No criticism of previous CRS coders, they had a massive project to get working under horrific pressures.) Hope you can stamp out all of these remaining booby-traps so in future, things only break themselves : )

Just curious: what language is the code written in? how many lines of cose, approximately?

I take it the mac client is compiling on another system right now? Or you made the current host accept the older mac beta?

Just curious: what language is the code written in? how many lines of cose' date=' approximately?[/quote']

The core is C++, although there are some scripting languages around the edges. (Frankly, a lot more of the "gamey" logic could stand to be moved to scripts.)

As for the amount, about ~700k lines of C++, give or take.

I take it the mac client is compiling on another system right now? Or you made the current host accept the older mac beta?

TGUNR's our main Mac guy, but unfortunately he's also our main sysadmin-type so he's doing most of the heavy lifting to get the campaign into place right now. I'm sure he'll get that build out as soon as he's able, though. :)

wish granted.

IkdmOVejUlI

do we know want to know why you have a 10 hour loop of jeopardy theme music bookmarked?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0