Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
traveler

Where were you on UPDATE WEEKEND 2015

6 posts in this topic

Me? Real world? Taiwan. In game Antwerp…

It was an eerie silence interrupted by the pop of AA trying to shoot down the JU I just jumped out of on the NW edge of Antwerp just south of the NW docks. Ant had been cut off from the allied line and a few of us were jumping in to cap. My assignment, only given to me as we approached the target…

“You’ll be jumping alone at WP **** (sorry classified). Cap the docks! AND DON”T DIE!” That was the order. I’m okay with it. But there were only 7-8 of us on the flight. I thought we were going together. Got to give it to the pilot. He got everyone to their JP on all sides.

Well, I managed to get in and cap everything there at the NW docks without getting shot by the AI. Then had to log for work.

The next day is when the hell started. The long anticipated patch, update, new hardware, and whatever else they had to do. At first we all could log into the beta server. At least we could scratch the itch. But by Friday, for us mac’ies anyway it was TUEL time.

But something cool happened in the midst of it all. The axis TS lobby began to fill up with guys from both sides. It was like those stories where you here about the soldiers on all sides during WWII taking a break during the war at Christmas to share a drink and sing silent night. An almost supernatural civility from the insanity.

At first there was all the inquiry about the server etc. etc. But then…

We just started hanging out and talking. I met guys I “know” and have played with, but then, at that moment… Let me put it this way, when I see them again in game (hehe if I can ever get back in, I’m joking I’m sure it will be “soon” dare I say it? Jesus said He would be back soon too!) I’ll remember “UPDATE WEEKEND” 2015! I’ll remember where I was. That hour + just hanging out on TS with some really cool people, on both sides. Not to mention listening to o’l Zeke tell story after story. That was really cool. I’m calling him the “Oracle” now hehe.

As I write, it's Sunday morning, the server is still not up, for mac guys anyway. But in a way, while yes I’ve been a little frustrated I can’t play, I would not trade those moments (hours) on TS, undistracted by a current objective, making a little deeper connection with my fellow players of WWIIOL, probably if not THE greatest, one of the greatest communities in the gaming world. I S! you guys. Not that some didn’t “whine”, but most didn’t. They had an enduring patience for CRS to figure it out. I mean we all knew what a monumental task they were dealing with. When CRS guys came on channel all you heard was “thanks for the job your doing to make things better for us” kinda thing.

And I was there! Painful now. But down the road as things take off, and I’m hopeful they will, when there are thousands of people playing and hanging out on TS, or maybe even an ingame chat server! HA! Do I see another update weekend in the future?!?! Will I be there like O’l Zeke and many others sharing with those new young bucks the story… Ya… I was there… (said with a glaze looking off back in time), Ya I was there…

On UPDATE WEEKEND, two thousand fifteen. But I don’t wanna talk about it. You would understand the “small” band of brothers, who even paid more than they had to to play the game. You’ve seen em...

They call em “HERO’s”.

~

sleeping, handing out picnic block party notices; sleeping got up ate. Took a poop that did not float. Went back to bed after checking forums.

Oh got my new joy stick in; check forum to see if game was up sleep got up watched a little TV. Cleaned my self up ate some more watched TV some more. Decided to go plug in my new joy stick and key mapped during the beta session/game server comes up; played world of tanks; said hi to friends on TS. Played beta of world of war ships. Played some WWII beta. Went back to bed at 1:30 am Sunday morning.

Went to church and now watching a Virginia vs UCLA football game I recorded yesterday while reading forum.

Not into football thinking of fast forwarding game just to take the drama out of my afternoon and poop than will to take a nap.

Regards,

drill

Edited by drill

Ummm me? No magic moment here -- I was on on Beta waiting for campaign server and then on campaign server waiting for capture to work. I was essentially on all night -- going back in now to see if capture is working ...

just my dirty little ho

;-)

Love your post, Traveler. It was definitely nice to "shoot the breeze" with that big group of folks and hear some of the old stories recalled.

Other than an hour or so on the campaign server last night, I've just been busting my tail at work.

Another hats off to the dedicated CRS team!

Love your post, Traveler. It was definitely nice to "shoot the breeze" with that big group of folks and hear some of the old stories recalled.

Other than an hour or so on the campaign server last night, I've just been busting my tail at work.

Another hats off to the dedicated CRS team!

hehe thanks. Theme was a little tongue in cheek mellow drama. Of course...

If they don't get it fixed soon I may get really pissed off and &^$&@&)(&*$$^#%@ :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0