• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rum

Open letter to CRS regarding Mac version status

3 posts in this topic

Being a long term mac developer (longer then i am playing this game) I feel really sad seeing Mac version suffer from lots of problem which can be solved with pretty minimal time spent by CRS.

I do understand you guys can not afford enough time of good mac developer on the project, but why should you refuse community help?

I am offering you my help with the Mac version. I do understand your concerns about source code/intellectual property, but I do not need access to the source code to help with at least some critical issues.

All I need is your will to listen and communicate. I can describe several bugs and suggest how to fix them just looking onto the client downloaded. I can point to some more problem just disassembling the compiled binary.

It may be just hints from me, like "go to this setting and do this and this". I would explain what does it mean and would link appropriate Apple developer docs.

Some more helps would be if you find it ok to supply me with Build Transcript - the text of how Xcode invoke compiler and linker (although that might be more sensitive information, i agree - i would see the names of the file in the project).

Or, if you plainly not interested, it would be a time for me just to stop my subscription again and wait another several years for some changes in development group :)

Thank you.

Being a long term mac developer (longer then i am playing this game) I feel really sad seeing Mac version suffer from lots of problem which can be solved with pretty minimal time spent by CRS.

I do understand you guys can not afford enough time of good mac developer on the project, but why should you refuse community help?

I am offering you my help with the Mac version. I do understand your concerns about source code/intellectual property, but I do not need access to the source code to help with at least some critical issues.

All I need is your will to listen and communicate. I can describe several bugs and suggest how to fix them just looking onto the client downloaded. I can point to some more problem just disassembling the compiled binary.

It may be just hints from me, like "go to this setting and do this and this". I would explain what does it mean and would link appropriate Apple developer docs.

Some more helps would be if you find it ok to supply me with Build Transcript - the text of how Xcode invoke compiler and linker (although that might be more sensitive information, i agree - i would see the names of the file in the project).

Or, if you plainly not interested, it would be a time for me just to stop my subscription again and wait another several years for some changes in development group :)

Thank you.

Hello Rum,

We appreciate your willingness to help. In case you were unaware the majority of our staff were actually community members (just like you) at one point. Several of us worked hard and patiently to get onboard the team because we love the game dearly, that is our daily motivation drive and why we all invest tremendous hours weekly to improve it.

We are very open to working with skilled professionals within our community, we have certainly demonstrated this over the last 3 years.

We have three Mac developers who are currently onboard, all of which are incredibly talented. So why the bugs you see? Overloaded, inherited a bit of a mess that did not have the best disciplines (on a global scale), and limited documentation. A recipe for great things in other words.

If I were to share what you have written to our production team, I think they would be a bit turned off based on your criticisms without providing constructive feedback, then asking to help, then suggesting if we do not take it you'll unsubscribe... it's kind of a slap in the face to people who are not responsible for what you are currently seeing, but are responsible for the vast (and required) improvements being made in all aspects of our server infrastructure, code management, and forward initiatives.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion and perhaps get some more specifics and insights you have to share. My e-mail is mcallahan@playnet.com.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion and perhaps get some more specifics and insights you have to share. My e-mail is mcallahan@playnet.com.

Matt, email was sent quite a long ago. Had you received it?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0