Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VICTARUS

Entering the Eifel - Overview

24 posts in this topic

Entering the Eifel

op.png~original

The Allies have entered Germany and are pushing northward from France, having just captured Trier and Morbach. Desperate to halt the advance, the Germans are making a final stand where the Eifel mountain range meets the Moselle river, hoping the broken terrain around Piesport and Schweich will give them the edge they need to hold back the advancing Allied army.

Allies have units in Trier and Morbach; the Axis have units in Zemmer and Wittlich and also own Schweich and Piesport. Additionally, an Allied air unit is in Wiltz and an Axis air unit is in Sobernheim.

The Axis get a one hour head-start to fortify the area, up to within 4km of the Allied towns. Once this period is over, the Allied units are moved in and the scenario begins. Victory is based on who holds the towns when the battle is over — even if they capture both towns, the Allies still need to hold them until the end to win.

Rules

• Brigades are set in place and cannot be moved. Bridge AOs are also not allowed.

• AOs are to be up on the two towns for the entire event. AOs can be placed immediately without the usual time restrictions.

• There's no delay before capturing after an AO is placed or, for the AB, another building is captured.

• Automatic AI rebuilding is disabled.

• FBs to no-mans-land towns (i.e., the objectives), depot spawning, and FRUs are all disabled.

Overall Suggestions

Survival Matters More than Anything. If you rush into a building and die, you're depriving your team of a body on the field for a good ten+ minutes. Unless it's really do-or-die time, don't throw your life away for nothing.

Reinforcements & Control are King. If you can't get back to where you are after you die, you don't actually control your current location. Go building-by-building if you have to, but make sure reinforcements can get to you safely.

Captures Are Meaningless. No matter what, you're going to spawn in the same place regardless of who owns what building. Other than AI, building ownership only matters at the very end of the scenario: If someone wants to cap, let 'em cap and shoot them when they walk out the door.

Advance Slowly. If you frantically drive a mile behind enemy lines and die, you haven't moved the front an inch. If the territory you've taken isn't secure, you haven't taken anything.

Fallback Quickly. If you "hold the line" and the enemy kills everyone at your position, they're going to be unopposed until they reach the next group of defenders. If falling back a little bit means you survive, then you've made the fight that much harder for them.

Bring Engineers & Build PPOs. If you want you to survive and your reinforcements to reach you safely, cover is king.

Bring Trucks. You should always have at least one truck doing ammo runs and helping guns reposition.

Move in Groups. One rifleman, ATG, or tank is an easy kill. If that unit was alone, it was also a free kill.

Edited by VICTARUS

Advancing from Trier

Views from Trier from east and west of the river

ne_from_trier.png~original

ne_from_trier_north.png~original

The road between Trier and Schweich goes along the river, flanked on both sides by hills and forests. A presence on either side of the river will easily shut down travel along the road, seriously slowing reinforcements. The Allies may be able to take Schweich just travelling through the eastern forest, but without use of this road they'll have a hard time reinforcing their numbers to hold the town afterward, never mind putting more pressure on Piesport.

Schweich

Schweich from the south and northeast hills, and a view from the northwest woods.

nw_of_schweich.png~original

ne_of_schweich.png~original

nnw_of_schweich.png~original

If they manage to secure the southern hill, the Allies will have a fairly firm hold over everything south of the river, including a small part of Schweich itself. Conversely, the hill northeast of Schweich gives a firm grip over the north side of the river. However, the northern hill isn't as strong of a defensive position: If the Allies manage to secure the woods on the north side of the river west of Schweich, they can being to intercept Axis reinforcements from the north and threaten to turn that hill into a strongpoint of their own.

The River

Looking east from Schweich, the river from the south, and the river west of Piesport

e_from_schweich.png~original

middle_from_south.png~original

piesport_from_west.png~original

Up until Piesport, control over the river between the two towns strongly favors whoever holds the southern side of the river, with an easily-fortified hill dominating most of the area. The road between Piesport and Schweich is inland from the river, preventing the hill from completely cutting off reinforcements between the towns, but without the hill any offensive movements between the two will be limited to one of a few easily-secured bridges.

Piesport

East of Piesport, and views of Piesport from the north, northwest, and south

e_from_piesport.png~original

piesport_from_north.png~original

piesport_from_nnw.png~original

piesport_from_south.png~original

Piesport itself lies surrounded by mountains on every side except its west. In the end, control over the surrounding terrain is more important than the town itself: No matter how much time one side gets to prepare itself in-town, it will quickly devolve into a meat-grinder once the battle actually starts.

For the Germans, the biggest threat is losing the ridge east of Piesport: This ridge threatens Germany's more direct line of reinforcements. This ridge can be reinforced fairly easily from the north though, allowing easy reinforcement from the north and, if Schweich is still held, the west.

Got in a Buzzard and took some shots of the battlefield for the upcoming event. Figured I'd help give players an idea of what they're in for. (To be moved to General Discussion(?) once the event is actually announced.)

Let the games begin. I think it should prove interesting. Allies need to shoot for something like 45% to 50% dominance with the most pressure building towards the end. :)

Edited by stonecomet

Sorry, discovered a fun "feature" in the version of Lua we're using: If you add an early 'return' statement and there's still code left to run, it gets all pissy. ¬.¬

Starting things up now. FBs are also going to be up to the front because of config limitations, but that should still leave plenty of space for a solid defense.

Love the mountains. very cool

The mountains are amazing now! One of the photos I saw same post showed some cliffs as well...Way cool. Big salute to all you developers.

Entering the Eifel

op.png~original

The Allies have entered Germany and are pushing northward from France, having just captured Trier and Morbach. Desperate to halt the advance, the Germans are making a final stand where the Eifel mountain range meets the Moselle river, hoping the broken terrain around Piesport and Schweich will give them the edge they need to hold back the advancing Allied army.

Allies have units in Trier and Morbach; the Axis have units in Zemmer and Wittlich and also own Schweich and Piesport. Additionally, an Allied air unit is in Wiltz and an Axis air unit is in Sobernheim.

The Axis get a one hour head-start to fortify the area, up to within 4km of the Allied towns. Once this period is over, the Allied units are moved in and the scenario begins. Victory is based on who holds the towns when the battle is over — even if they capture both towns, the Allies still need to hold them until the end to win.

Rules

• Brigades are set in place and cannot be moved. Bridge AOs are also not allowed.

• AOs are to be up on the two towns for the entire event. AOs can be placed immediately without the usual time restrictions.

• There's no delay before capturing after an AO is placed or, for the AB, another building is captured.

• Automatic AI rebuilding is disabled.

• FBs to no-mans-land towns (i.e., the objectives), depot spawning, and FRUs are all disabled.

Overall Suggestions

Survival Matters More than Anything. If you rush into a building and die, you're depriving your team of a body on the field for a good ten+ minutes. Unless it's really do-or-die time, don't throw your life away for nothing.

Reinforcements & Control are King. If you can't get back to where you are after you die, you don't actually control your current location. Go building-by-building if you have to, but make sure reinforcements can get to you safely.

Captures Are Meaningless. No matter what, you're going to spawn in the same place regardless of who owns what building. Other than AI, building ownership only matters at the very end of the scenario: If someone wants to cap, let 'em cap and shoot them when they walk out the door.

Advance Slowly. If you frantically drive a mile behind enemy lines and die, you haven't moved the front an inch. If the territory you've taken isn't secure, you haven't taken anything.

Fallback Quickly. If you "hold the line" and the enemy kills everyone at your position, they're going to be unopposed until they reach the next group of defenders. If falling back a little bit means you survive, then you've made the fight that much harder for them.

Bring Engineers & Build PPOs. If you want you to survive and your reinforcements to reach you safely, cover is king.

Bring Trucks. You should always have at least one truck doing ammo runs and helping guns reposition.

Move in Groups. One rifleman, ATG, or tank is an easy kill. If that unit was alone, it was also a free kill.

Awesome scenario and with aerial photos . This should be a blast. Good luck everyone!

We're ending this one a little early: It wasn't originally intended to last longer than one day, and some of the stuff we've learned during the event makes it impossible to really keep things running without constant GM supervision. (On a related note, did you know that some of the server configuration variables do literally nothing? Well you do now, and so do we. :D )

It was definitely more than a little clunky on our end, but we learned a lot and plan to look at our experience and player feedback and take it all into consideration for the next time we have an event like this, either on the main server or as an event on the side. Hopefully everyone still managed to have fun despite the technical issues.

If anyone wants to share their thoughts, feel free to do so. I think overall it was a nice change of pace, but probably not something we'd want to replace the main game with: A fifteen/twenty minute drive after every death can get tiring pretty quick. Still, there's definitely something about that old-game feel that still works even after all these years; hopefully through events like this we'll eventually figure out a good way to bring some of that back. :)

As for me, I was flying around in a Buzzard for most of the event, so I'm exhausted; I'll probably give a little writeup later.

First off, I was really enjoying the no FB, no CP and No FRUs that I experienced early in the event. Unfortunately, from what it sounds like, these rules could not be set on the server or the settings had no effect. In addition, not enough interest in this style of play was real evident or in enough population numbers for this style of play to work well.

I actually thought the addition of the FB use as a spawn location only turned the conflict into a more limited spawn suppression type of scenario. I did not mind the ride after death and it is only during a limited time special event. So waiting and transport was no big deal to me with the exception of needing a higher overall population count to make it more enjoyable.

If we ever revisited Entering The Eifel again I would only do so once capability to truly turn off MSPs CP and FB spawning and the ability to turn of the non-capture timer. Here are a couple of other observations that might make it more interesting and sustainable.

At event start allow both sides to be Entering the Eifel or spawning at the same time. No Axis head-start or set up. Basically both sides start at the same time.

Use supply and attrition but in this limited way. Do Not Allow Brigade Movements. Place one Infantry and one Armored brigade from both sides in each of the original no-mans land towns. That is all the supply each of these towns receives for the entire event. Place heavy but not unlimited Infantry Brigades in the 4 spawn towns. You want enough here to last the timing of the event but still have an attrition effect on the units that are limited within the brigades. Add a Small amount of Armored Brigades to make these units usable but not without attrition effects by the end of the event. Air units should be plentiful but also limited in scope. None of these brigades move they are locked in their location and drain until empty or event conclusion.

At the start Allied would own Scweich and Axis would own Pieport with their limited 2 brigade supply. These brigades are kicked to training in the event of the first change of possession. Each side can spawn into these towns respectively until the brigades are kicked or supply runs out. The four major supply towns are where the bulk of the supply resides.

Youn might consider allowing CP spawning and AB Spawning but no FB or MSP spawning unless we have the more limited Fortified MSP in which case disabling the FBs would be sufficient for the old school transport of troops feeling in a more limited way.

I love the terrain and if the event was really prepped well and tried again when the population is larger then those are my suggestions to tweak it some, just in case we do revisit someday.

Should be renamed "Tiger Fest" and was horrible. Never do it again.

:mad:

*waaaahhh* goes the baby -- shouldnt you be inb to the only AO/DO FB while its still intermission blowing the only action on map...?

Re.: Event:

Was fun & interesting for the 2-3 Hours it went back and forth - shuttling inf around - resupplying and all but yeah - unless FRUs and CP spawning can be turned off server side completely it requires supervision and can be rather taxing on the personell available

Edited by axis412

It was the first time in many months that I played the game.

It absolutely brought back the old game feel. I enjoyed the team effort required to reinforce the front with trucks. I also found our attempt to fortify a position in the country to be kind of intriguing, even if we didn't last long.

Overall, I think events like this are a much better way of using intermissions than the usual free-for-all. I would not have taken the approach of unlimited supply because players seemed unwilling to use anything but the top tier equipment.

I hope that it influences some design changes in the future.

There used to be a way to disable fbs and Spawn CPs that should still be doable (just happened to remember it while reading some of this).

Possible only Xoom and IDK which rats would still have those commands available though.

I'll not post the howto but if you are curious VICTARUS PM me.

Disclaimer, the spawn flags would have to be fliped by a GM/Rat to complete a town capture. (I think)

Edited by oldzeke

Should be renamed "Tiger Fest" and was horrible. Never do it again.

:mad:

Wasn't that bad if a person didn't go due E from teh FB or direct line to the river.

Was actually kind of fun going out of the fb, swimming the river and blowing 4 tigers with a zook.... then doing it again...

I wanted to like it, but found it a bit weird that there were very few infantry about. Drove trucks for a bit but found almost no one willing to spawn boots for the drive. So it felt like two dozen tanks on each side with a handful of infantry running around and capturing stuff. Think I played for 2 or 3 hours and didn't see a single enemy soldier - only tanks.

Possibly that was because of unlimited supply and the fact that if you're going to invest time in the drive most people want something that doesn't die instantly.

Probably worth doing something similar again, but it didn't leave me hankering for the pre-msp days.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0