• Announcements

• B2K

Forum Upgrade Phase II Beginning.   06/01/2020

The initial phase of the forum updating has been completed.  We will now be moving onto Phase II: Software update:   The current forum software is in need up an update to current version.  We have been testing the newer version, and are ready to update our live forums.    Themes: The Current WWIIOL Theme will be retired as part of the forum update.  It is non-compatible with the newer forum software.  A new WWIIOL Theme will be added after upgrade (as part of the upgade if everything goes smooth).   Once the update is completed the forums should look the same, but perform significantly better.   We will also be able to potentially expand functionality to include features and add-ons that are not available with our current version of the forum software.   There will be a few hours of downtime during the upgrade process, an exact date has not been set as we are working to align schedules.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SNIPER62

BattleMap Planner

9 posts in this topic

I've been tossing around this idea for a month or two but I'm just not sure the player base would actually use it. Then VICTARUS posted these the other week:

op.png~original

antwerp_event.png~original

My idea is a webmap that would allow players to add lines, icons, circles similar to the above ones and create battle plans. Then they would be able to save those plans and be able to repopulate the webmap with those plans at a later time or send the link to other players so they could also see the battle plans.

If you have the skills go for it.

If it's any good people will use it.

I've always wanted something a bit different. Just give me a map showing all the good zoc setups for each town.

We needed was a map showing the hills and elevations with details..(topographic map)

or it already exists?

Edited by kareca

100% agreed, I was thinking about it the other day, I usually want to mark where I would like to be dropped off when I'm getting a tow as artillery, but I have to use other ways to mark a drop off point or when on a mission to attack, I often don't know where would be the best direction to attack from till I'm there to check myself, but if I can mark for others and others for me, where the high ground is or ideal positions for over watch on a town or place, for artillery, tanks or snipers, or even mortars, it would save a lot of time and hassle. A lot of the current icons are intel about enemy positions and so on. There are plenty of other ideas like the ones in the post above with the arrows and the "X"s, and the post talking about the map showing the elevation height and/or terrain is perfect. Oh, I also think marking the enemy position is important but just as important is the direction that enemy is traveling because more often than not they are on the move. If the enemy icon had a little arrow attached showing the direction where that certain enemy was spotted going, (if they're moving) it would save time having to tell the position and where they are headed. If two of the same kinds of enemy icons are close by then more explaining is required to figure which enemy icon is being talked about. I have seen friendlies mark, for example one tank icon, then another next to it then another next to that one. It looks like 3 tanks lined up on the map but its really the tank's movements. I think the arrow idea would remedy that.

We needed was a map showing the hills and elevations with details..(topographic map)

or it already exists?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ + 1AP more for his 3b to finish off that Matty already or were gonna have to read "99AP matty no kill" for another 100 times

+1 for the map.

If possible with 2 levels:

- What cities are we going to attack ? - usefull for HC/playerbase comms.

- How are we going to attack a city ? - usefull to know the best spots to attack/defend

We should be able to save and have an "easy-to-share" link. eg: "hey guys checkout the plan to attack Lier: http://...". Also an option to "save as image" would be ok, but not as cool.

We have been asking for topo maps from day 1.

The battle map planner is a cool Ideal, but keep in mind most the player base won't even open the map to mark the enemy. =)

Actually, we had that, a long long time ago.

Antler's War Room.

It worked. Mostly.

By the time we were done we had squad icons, brigade icons, arrows, timing, web links, saved plans that could be opened altered and saved as separate new plans, click on a city and it called the city map up so you could integrate a specific city plan into your Big Op, etc. etc.

It ended ugly.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0