• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
XOOM

VETS: Check-in here

218 posts in this topic

S! And welcome back to all of our WWII Online veterans.

Please feel free to check-in here to see some familiar faces. If you're up for it, share a little bit of your story:

• What year did you start playing?
  • When was the last time you played?
  • What squad were you in?
  • What side did you primarily play on?

We're glad you decided to come back and play the game, we're having quite a big turn around year and hope you stay.

There's a special promotion offer for you all at http://wwiionline.com/account --> Special Offers.

Edited by XOOM

S! It has been a long time but glad to see this game is still going strong and expect to see me back on the battlefield. In the before times I went by JJmoore way back in 2008 and played on and off since. I exclusively played Allies (looking to change it up this time around) and I was a member of the Dirty Deuce when I first started and then I was a member of the 11th Hussars.

Look forward to seeing you all on the battlefield once more!

1999 0r 2000...way more than a year before the pay to play started or campaigns. No bushs..no trees. mariemburg was where i was born in game as it was the farthest town to the east at the time. I think profondeville was the farthest town north. No army bases..only one radio with no cap timer. Just touch it and town was capped.

I rode in my uber-char and had over 50,000 kills in it. it was uber and OP.

Played till...uh...maybe...2009 or 2010. Jumped back in on a few elcome back soldier and have always enjoyed my time back in game.

Best mmo war game ever

was in squads 1st allied special forces group 1ASFG...then for many years Lafayette LAF

Started in 2007 and played every year until I took a break in 2011. I used to play mainly axis in the DDz clan. I forgot how fun this game was, my first kill ingame today felt so good. :D

XOOM!

I forget when I first started and I lost access to my original account.....

I last played last year before throwing a hissy-fit....disappointed I was too slow (and stupid) to get my pic on one of the ATGs :( the story of my life.

I have always been Windhund, until Windhund died and I have always fought for the Axis side in campaigns....

Waiting for game to download....will be interesting to see what's changed.

EDIT: Looks good, got CTH twice before reloading and getting in-game third chance. Gonna give it a go on the weekend when I can play prime-time.

!S

Edited by Nimrah

I believe I first started playing around ~2003-2004 or so, off and on.

My first memories are of trying to fly a Fighter in the Offline Training with Mouse and Keyboard.

It took all this time until ~December 2014 or so to finally pick up an X52 Saitek Pro and ask someone on the Allied Teamspeak for help regarding that.

I previously played with Stelgard, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year from ALS.

I had a lot of fun with him and the Bulldogs, pushing an AT gun around, hiding in bush for an Axis transport or APC to come rolling by, and then blasting them in the ass... lol.

I started in 2006. The last time I played was only a few months back when I checked out the progress of the game. I was wrapped up playing other games so I didn't devote enough time to WWII Online to really consider myself back.

I stopped really playing about 3 years ago. I primarily play Allied but I did a campaign or two of Axis towards the end. I switched back to Allies and rejoined my old squad the 101st Airborne right at the end.

I played a bit last night and was pleasantly surprised I was able to find a decent infantry fight almost right away.

I remember launch week very well. Rough start but even day 1 I was one of the lucky few to get on for 15 minutes before being tossed into the purple haze.

PI24, parachuting dogs, orange forums, Bilton. Best game ever.

~an oldtimer

Damn you Xoom! Okies...here we go:

Started in 2001 1st account

2nd account 2003? 2004? something like that. HQ on both side.

Squads: 1st FJ, 13th something, 3rd Commandos

Spent a lot of time airborne and Navy (former MARNAT CO)

checking in! Last played around 2-3 years ago for maybe a week or so?

Started 2004!

16ID!

Glad to see many vets returning, see you on the battlefield! Ill hopefully be around for a bit longer!

Edited by alpnkorp
1 person likes this

• What year did you start playing?
  • When was the last time you played?
  • What squad were you in?
    75 Squadron and 19 Squadron
  • What side did you primarily play on?
    Allied.

Played on and off between 2007 and 2013 - mostly off I guess :)

Ok, I'll bite

First played in 2007, and played off-and-on as time, budget, and the state of compatibility with Wine on Linux would allow until ~2011.

Since 2011, I've checked in periodically, most recently in 2014. The biggest issue for me was that my free time to play is usually low pop, and unfortunately, 6 vs 6 rat hunts in the cities just wasn't compelling.

My squads over time were BKB, RGJ & Allfor. I am Allied for life!

I'm looking forward to seeing this game grow again. It's strengths shine best when server pops are high, and for the first time in many years, I actually believe the glory days are going to return!

P.S. I would love to see Linux support. I know it's not a hot item on the Roadmap, but seriously. I've been battling Wine to play this game for most of a decade now!

What year did you start playing?

Launch Day -

When was the last time you played?

What squad were you in?

GD - Iron Wolves - Secton 2

What side did you primarily play on?

Axis - is there any other side to play in this game?

Cant wait to give it a try again...

!S soldiers, Smilzo is back :P

• What year did you start playing? maybe 2001-2002

• When was the last time you played? 2013

• What squad were you in? REI

• What side did you primarily play on? german

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I was playing last time and even more since I was active in the game. I still consider myself a Day 1 player :)

Starting in 1 RCR with our leader Sgstone (I loved his way of fighting) and than attracted by flying I joined 56th FG under Bmbm and Hammered leadership. Stayed there for years and when Bmbm and Hammered stepped out I decided to start a new Scouting Force group with some real veterans by my side - Jimato, Sbuzzard, Shmonkey and other guys.

We did our "Flying school" project for many newcomers at that time, it was fun and I believe some will remember it.

Than when we decided not to play so often, we started Black Sheep group and few years ago, we stopped playing actively.

I personally have a lot of memories from past days and this game was by my side for many many years.

I dont think I will play it again, definitely not so often, but I want to come back and see what has changed and whether I could have one or two missions to remember with my old friends.

I wish this game a long live and a lots of fun for guys who are playing it.

S!

I will likely be the oldest account to reply to this thread.

I started playing before alpha, eventually made it into alpha test(well before the first city was ever created). This was way back in the day where only a forest and some hills existed. Mostly it was flight mechanic testing.

I'm trying to find my screenshots from back then, hopefully they are on a harddrive some at home (will check tonight), originally I had them saved on geocities.com which is long gone. I believe this was back in 1999 or 2000.

I can't believe it's been over 15 years and WWIIOL is still going! I have yet to find a gaming experience that matches.

Before the game launched I was very active in the forums. I started off playing with the 2nd Panzer group and later on the Iron Wolves. I've been Axis the whole time.

The last time I played was I'm guessing about 2 and a half years ago or right around the time my Wife and I had our first child (a girl!).

Totally coincidentally about 2 weeks ago someone in the Star Citizen forums wanted me to come back and play WWIIOL. So, I'll give be sure to download and jump in again sometime this week. :)

Welcome back to all the rest of the veterans!

EDIT: Archive.org managed to grab at least the folder structure and ONE screenshot from my pre-alpha stuff.

Here's the folder structure: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20020909042609/http://www.geocities.com/slandshark/WWIIOL/?D=A

And here's the only screenshot I've been able to recover so far, back from around 2000 (pre-alpha).

*Mods, let me know if this is not ok, since technically this screenshot was taken back during the NDA of pre-alpha**

http://sharkonland.com/mygames/wwiiol/wingonground.JPG

Edited by landshrk

!S all

SteelyDan Reporting as ordered.

Started Aug. 2010

(Currently on a extended break....)

Last played 2014?

Side played, Axis. Member of Blitzkader.

Its been quite a few years since I last logged on figured Id check things out. Pretty much have always played Axis mainly with the Luftwaffe. I was with JG54 for most of my time. Anyways cant wait to try things out once this maintenance is over with.

I started a month or two after the game went live.

I've played off and on for 15 years or more, been a hero builder when I was flush, and sometimes stopped playing when things were otherwise.

I've been Allied all along, sometimes HC, sometimes just a grunt.

It's great to see the progress in the last year, I'm looking forward to trying the game.