• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reconrego

A new player's view on this game

74 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've always had an interest in this game that goes a long way back. Unfortunately I feel like I am too late and that I should've enjoyed this game in it's golden years but at that time I was a kid and my computer wasn't able to run this game so I ended up playing other more known AAA titles like the medal of honor series and call of duty, battlefield 1942 etc. Those times have now passed and we're now in 2015 a time where every new game that is released is worse than the one before with futuristic themes, and fast-paced gameplay and a complete lack for teamwork and tactical gameplay. This is why the interest has sparked up in me to re-visit this game that I never really got a chance of knowing and the after playing for a while I am left with a couple of questions:

1- Playerbase: I would like to know what's the peak number of people that play this game at the moment because having played this saturday night I found the gameworld still a bit empty. After going through the different active battles and seeing the number of players on each squadron I started doing some maths and it seemed to me like the maximum number of players playing axis at the time was around 50-60 including airforce and navy. So that should put us at around what 100 players on both allies and axis?

2- AI: After an hour playing on a 3-4 men squad attacking what seemed like a completely empty village I ended up capping 3 bases before I ran into an AI MG position. After getting shot at and wounded I was excited to finally find some action after almost 30 minutes of boredom. I open fire on the MG position and realized I wasn't facing a soldier I was actually facing a terminator that absorbed all my bullets and kept on firing at me. With all due respect and sorry for being harsh this is completely ridiculous. It would maybe be ok if this game was still in early development or in beta stage but gentlemen this is 2015.. this game has been out for 14 years. This is one of those things that many of you vets and fanboys might not give a crap about but a new player that comes to this game and sees this is immediately turned off. It completely destroys the realism and immersion that this game otherwise delivers. I see the dev team working on new weapons and so on. But what about this? Is this so hard to fix?

3- Steam: What is the reason for this game not being on steam? I see a lot of talk on these forums about this being the most important time in WW2ol history for people to sub and re-sub but how do you want people to do that if they're not even aware that this game exists and is still cool to play.

Despite these 3 things I am still very interested in subscribing to this game but I still need to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Are the developers working on any of the above mentioned issues or are they just working to bring new weapons into the game? Because if it is the latter then I think that the 180 usd a year one has to pay for this game are not a good investment.

Sorry for the big post and please give me your honest opinions on all of this.

:)

Hey guys,

1- Playerbase: I would like to know what's the peak number of people that play this game at the moment because having played this saturday night I found the gameworld still a bit empty. After going through the different active battles and seeing the number of players on each squadron I started doing some maths and it seemed to me like the maximum number of players playing axis at the time was around 50-60 including airforce and navy. So that should put us at around what 100 players on both allies and axis? :)

I am nobody, but I am a fanboy

Welcome to the community, I do hope you subscribe and join it, you will find it rewarding. While it is centered around the game, it is truly one that is about more than the game.

Peak numbers over this weekend might be low, but it is between campaigns. The intermission is a time for different things to take place, and to allow the community as a whole to rest up. No matter what side you are, it takes lots of effort from everyone to fight in the campaign. The High Command needs time to spend with their real life, and also prepare for the next campaign. The players dedicated to the fight also take time to reset between campaigns. This is what you are seeing this weekend. The intermission has allowed big fun fights to happen, and a big naval battle of over 100 boats raging war against each other, and a rare truck race. This is not normal play, but somethings that have happened that the community likes to do from time to time. Come Monday we will see more and more happening in the game as the campaign kicks off.

2- AI: After an hour playing on a 3-4 men squad attacking what seemed like a completely empty village I ended up capping 3 bases before I ran into an AI MG position. After getting shot at and wounded I was excited to finally find some action after almost 30 minutes of boredom. I open fire on the MG position and realized I wasn't facing a soldier I was actually facing a terminator that absorbed all my bullets and kept on firing at me. With all due respect and sorry for being harsh this is completely ridiculous. It would maybe be ok if this game was still in early development or in beta stage but gentlemen this is 2015.. this game has been out for 14 years. This is one of those things that many of you vets and fanboys might not give a crap about but a new player that comes to this game and sees this is immediately turned off. It completely destroys the realism and immersion that this game otherwise delivers. I see the dev team working on new weapons and so on. But what about this? Is this so hard to fix?

Your subscription would add one more player. Each player populates the game world by one more player. While you might think you are only one, you would add to the total. There are big battles happening, it is important to find a way for you to get to one. As a returning player myself, I have found trouble with this too. I know how complicated this game is, and that is the biggest problem. The training channel has helped me with this.

3- Steam: What is the reason for this game not being on steam? I see a lot of talk on these forums about this being the most important time in WW2ol history for people to sub and re-sub but how do you want people to do that if they're not even aware that this game exists and is still cool to play.

I listened to the Executive Producer last night in a Team Speak discussion with him, and they want to make sure they present a great first impression. They are planning on this happening in the near future. They have to make a couple of things happen prior, but they are looking forward to making it happen.

Again, I am only a returning fanboy, but from what I have heard and read over the last week, this is what I think is happening. I hope to see you on the battlefield.

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions but thanks for taking the time to write this, it's interesting to read a new players thoughts.

I've been here for many years and I still hate the AI!

I hope you stick around and get to know this great game much more.

Your subscription would add one more player. Each player populates the game world by one more player. While you might think you are only one, you would add to the total. There are big battles happening, it is important to find a way for you to get to one. As a returning player myself, I have found trouble with this too. I know how complicated this game is, and that is the biggest problem. The training channel has helped me with this.

Thank you for welcoming me to what so far looks to be a friendly and helpful community.:)

So in response to what I've said about the AI bunkers and gun crews you've said what is above quoted but that's the thing, I understand how important it is for each every one to populate the game world and really there is a lot about this game that I absolutely love and that you can't find anywhere else out there in gaming or simulation but having flaws like this is what is keeping me from recommending this game to my group of friends. Because I know exactly what they're gonna think once we spend an hour on an empty town capping unguarded objectives and the only resistance we find are MG nests and gun crews that we can't even have the satisfaction of taking out. Disappointment. That's what they're gonna feel. It's these little things that in my honest opinion are keeping the game from attracting more people. Nobody cares about the new Mas40 rifle. The game's got plenty of awesome weapons. More then enough. They did a good job on that. Now it's time to work on the flaws. I just hope they see this.

AI :

Agreed and ive been here since day 1. Ground AI needs to be removed. It's ignorant that it's in game still. Its.quite mind boggling to be honest.

ask xoom to run a poll and see who is in favor for keeping or getting rid of it, only prob i can see is in tz3 for the low pop side it can give you direction to possible artificial frus another thing i hope they take out the game

AI :

Agreed and ive been here since day 1. Ground AI needs to be removed. It's ignorant that it's in game still. Its.quite mind boggling to be honest.

I'm a pretty efficient infantry player and I hate AIs with a passion.

AI MGs are just too annoying.

AI AAs and AI ATs are easily avoided or killed before they're a real problem.

Some towns have crazy layers of AI MGs...

I'm a pretty efficient infantry player and I hate AIs with a passion.

AI MGs are just too annoying.

AI AAs and AI ATs are easily avoided or killed before they're a real problem.

Some towns have crazy layers of AI MGs...

Pretty much. I'd be willing to bet most players don't want mg pits and towers. Maybe even atg, but those are no issue as most tanks don't rush a town.

Aaa AI is needed around airfields and factories, but once a.town is under attack, they should go away. The player base should have to spawn Aaa to deal with it. Aaa AI is just too lazor to the head.

Facts

/thread

/can't argue my comments

It's pretty amazing to me that players still run straight into town directly towards the towers and gun pits. AI is a good indicator where ei is coming from. I guess some people want a yellow brick road to follow.

It's pretty amazing to me that players still run straight into town directly towards the towers and gun pits. AI is a good indicator where ei is coming from. I guess some people want a yellow brick road to follow.

It shoots through trees and around corners. And not everyone knows where they are..it's too lazor to the head and is not needed with the way the cap system works

I'm not saying they should completely remove AI from the game I'm just saying why in the name of god after all these years haven't they made them shootable with small arms? Removing it completely would have made my boring playthrough even more boring. What could have been great was if I was able to flank that MG nest (which I was) and then spray it with lead until the AI soldier operating the MG fell to the ground in a nice ragdoll animation just like normal players do. That would've made my playthrough slightly more interesting and rewarding and not feel like a complete waste of time.

I'm not saying they should completely remove AI from the game I'm just saying why in the name of god after all these years haven't they made them shootable with small arms? Removing it completely would have made my boring playthrough even more boring. What could have been great was if I was able to flank that MG nest (which I was) and then spray it with lead until the AI soldier operating the MG fell to the ground in a nice ragdoll animation just like normal players do. That would've made my playthrough slightly more interesting and rewarding and not feel like a complete waste of time.

You can nade them...

Because I know exactly what they're gonna think once we spend an hour on an empty town capping unguarded objectives and the only resistance we find are MG nests and gun crews that we can't even have the satisfaction of taking out.

You can take them out quite easily. Drop a grenade on 'em and they blow up REEEEEEAL pretty. In fact, I've used the "Practice Offline" function to learn how to aim properly when I toss grenades into doors, windows, AI ground emplacements, and up into AI towers. It's a hoot!

-Irish

Yeah, three magazines from an LMG is pretty excessive to take it down and I'm not sure Kareem Abdul-Jabbar could toss a grenade into the tower.

Yeah' date=' three magazines from an LMG is pretty excessive to take it down and I'm not sure Kareem Abdul-Jabbar could toss a grenade into the tower.[/quote']

Tazz, I won't go into how to do it here, because I don't want everyone (aka the Axis players) to know. After all, I have an interest in OUR AI emplacements surviving. :D But I'll be glad to share my findings with dedicated Allied players.

I AM a bit upset, though, that we don't get ANY points for taking out AI, especially since it can be a bit of a chore. RATS, how about some love (XP) for taking out AI, so people will like having it in the game?

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

You can nade them...

What if you're a sniper with no nades? lol this is what I mean. You shouldn't feel helpless against the only thing that you're actually supposed to be shooting at. Infantry.

Tazz, I won't go into how to do it here, because I don't want everyone (aka the Axis players) to know. After all, I have an interest in OUR AI emplacements surviving. :D But I'll be glad to share my findings with dedicated Allied players.

I AM a bit upset, though, that we don't get ANY points for taking out AI, especially since it can be a bit of a chore. RATS, how about some love (XP) for taking out AI, so people will like having it in the game?

-Irish

I definitely agree! Getting points for taking out AI is a must. New players could score some easy points this way..

iv posted quite a bit over the years on how much i hate the inf AI. I still think its review is overdue.

S!

Just making it less accurate would actually help a lot.

I can live with the current accuracy, but just make it realistic to take out. 2-3 rifle rounds to the head would be better than the current 50 rifle rounds or grenades.

I see people wanting to remove it because it's annoying? I think it serves a purpose and removing it is another win for the overpop side.

It also adds some tactical flair as a need to destroy the AI can improve early infantry flow on the town. If you don't deal with it getting infantry into town will be more difficult. And, rebuilding the AI can be a boon for the defenders and nice surprise for the attackers.

In my opinion it is another game element that separates this game from your typical run and gun military FPS.

First, if you are getting killed by AI you have not yet learned to:

- Read your map before running into town. The AI is marked.

- The AI has about 90 degree field of fire (I think it is a bit larger than that actually) and can be avoided easily enough. While there are cases where the AI field of fires overlap, these conditions are in the minority and you can normally flank the position and destroy it.

- Even if you are within the field of fire of an AI, running diagonally to the AI pit makes it harder to track you and you can often move out if its field of fire before getting shot.

- The warning as to the enemies ingress is a realistic function and represents a light intrinsic defense in the town. Accomplished players and squads will ingress to the town without drifting into AI field of fires. Conversely, those that have not yet learned how to approach an AI active position will not fare as well. :)

- While not a hard and fast rule, AI on the towns perimeters generally cover N, S, E, and W ingress points. Many times the NE, SE, NW, and SW ingress points are outside the AI field of fire.

- AI can be taken down by grens, stachels, and used to be MG fire but it takes alot of bullets ... at least for the allied MG's.

In summary, I think the AI adds tactical flare, rewards good comms and teamwork, and rewards experience and practice as well.

Further, removing them gives another little advantage to an overpop team who can now run truck frus to min distance without regard for Active AI. And, it is much easier to get a quick and sneaky infantry flow on the town as well.

my 2 cents ...

And as always, my suggestion to new players is to find a squad. This can reduce the initial frustration immeasurably. I freely admit that I was in the OPS shoes back in 2004. I just about wiped this game off my hard drive after a week of getting killed and general frustration. Found a squad and here I am 11 years later.

I'd rather fight humans than a computer.

This.

This is a PvP game...

And AIs affect both sides the same. When you're overpop and have people flying and tanking its much less of an issue...

Just an idea ...maybe someone suggested it over the years but i dont remember seeing this ... How a about Take the AI out of the Towers and make the towers a unit that you can spawn into and be a Tower operator? Your view would be just like what the AI have now. Kill the tower and kill the player running it and then it needs to be rebuilt before it can be used again.

I don't know if it can be done but if enough players are interested then i can ask the coder team to look into it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0