• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reconrego

A new player's view on this game

74 posts in this topic

The AI MG pits and towers need to either be killable by a few rifle shots to the dude in there, or be gone.

They suck, and show just how bad CRS has been about development in the past nine years.

That's not a good impression at all for new players.

I like them on air fields, but if you're gonna have 88s on AFs, why, OH WHY can tanks roll up to them and not be shot at all?

Oh, they're only for planes?

The AI MG pits and towers need to either be killable by a few rifle shots to the dude in there, or be gone.

They suck, and show just how bad CRS has been about development in the past nine years.

That's not a good impression at all for new players.

I like them on air fields, but if you're gonna have 88s on AFs, why, OH WHY can tanks roll up to them and not be shot at all?

Oh, they're only for planes?

Actually, the way the AA AI are set up, it would make sense that they would have a minimum firing angle. Once inside that tanks could not be fired upon. I agree that it seems odd that those AI can't shoot at ETs rolling up from a distance.

When I played previously, up to about 2006, AI was not an issue. As infantry we could always:

1) Go around or avoid the AI;

2) Use a grenade.

During the welcome back soldier program I was able to both avoid and blow AI using 1 or 2 grenades. I also noticed that the AI placement seems to be the same, and the towns that I tried it in I was again able to move from the outskirts of a town to inside the bunker by only avoiding AI.

The AT AI shoots spitballs, usually misses the first couple shots, and are in static locations that are easy to:

1) Go around or avoid;

2) Shoot from a distance.

I was able to successfully do both very frequently during the welcome back program.

The AA AI, like the AT AI, is static and easily destroyed with a few cannon rounds. Astonishingly I would often find it up during my brief dalliance with the welcome back program. I would quickly take it down. It's pretty easy.

AI really should not be an issue. Perhaps with the previous destruction wrought upon squads and the subsequent abandoning of the game, there are few people around to show the newer players how simple these things are?

When I played previously, up to about 2006, AI was not an issue. As infantry we could always:

1) Go around or avoid the AI;

2) Use a grenade.

During the welcome back soldier program I was able to both avoid and blow AI using 1 or 2 grenades. I also noticed that the AI placement seems to be the same, and the towns that I tried it in I was again able to move from the outskirts of a town to inside the bunker by only avoiding AI.

The AT AI shoots spitballs, usually misses the first couple shots, and are in static locations that are easy to:

1) Go around or avoid;

2) Shoot from a distance.

I was able to successfully do both very frequently during the welcome back program.

The AA AI, like the AT AI, is static and easily destroyed with a few cannon rounds. Astonishingly I would often find it up during my brief dalliance with the welcome back program. I would quickly take it down. It's pretty easy.

AI really should not be an issue. Perhaps with the previous destruction wrought upon squads and the subsequent abandoning of the game, there are few people around to show the newer players how simple these things are?

Perhaps think of it as a trainer- if you can't handle AI, likely you are going to have real problems dealing with the humans.

Back onto the subject of a new player. I have been back in the game for a couple of weeks now (maybe less but I lost my brain). Even thought I had played the game for years prior, I abandoned the community and the game for years too. Coming back into the game I was slapped with the lack of knowledge. I found the game difficult to say the least.

With that said, any new players reviewing this post, please take note, I have found it comes quick. I have found everyone wants to help. If you have a question, ask those around you. Let me tell you it is worth it! I had the advantage of playing before and remembering how great this game is. Not only are you playing a game, but you are joining a community. I have seen this community rise up to be there for players who needed them. I have seen this community lay to rest some of the past members. No other game out there is like this one. It is well worth your time to learn to play it.

Like Zeppelin says, just keep the anti-air AI at airfields and lose them when the town falls under attack. Convert MG AI towers into climbable towers for players (we can climb church stairs -- just redesign the MG tower for useful LMG positions) and convert AT AI pits into improved or higher emplacements for player ATGs. Do this for a beta test and then poll how the players like it in the UI interface splash.

just my dirty little ho

;-)

^^^ To go a step further, might be interesting to make them ppos that can be placed in different locations, within a certain radius of the installation they're defending, by higher ranking players when there's not an attack ongoing.

And maybe give them a little sentinel's hut next door thats like a fru attached to the depot, thats directly spawnable with a supply of 1 or 2 units, and cigarettes.

SO after playing the game for a couple more weeks more and having a lot of fun playing the infantry aspect of it which I believe is a solid game experience with just a thing or two to polish before it becomes perfect I started playing as a stuka bomber to try out the air force role of this game and here is my feedback:

1. Bombing Missions: For a new player it can be very exciting to try out the airforce in this game however what I've found after playing around 50 sorties with a stuka was far from exciting it was actually probably a huge waste of time. Let me just point out the fact that I'm an airliner pilot and have for a long time been playing flight simulators so despite being new to the game I found it very easy to get up in the air and start doing missions. What I found amazingly annoying is the fact that since the game is not much populated you are rarely able to get any kills. I've been logging at least an hour and half per day flying the stuka for the past 2 weeks and I haven't gotten past the 43 out of 100 on my rank level. Out of all the sorties I've done I can say only in 5% of them did I score a kill and even then it was probably just one. I've tried going on bridge bombing missions however after flying for 10 minutes and reaching the bridges that were marked with attack orders I found that they were already destroyed :confused: there should be an icon on the theater map indicating if a bridge was already destroyed or not Finding tanks and infantry in such a huge battlefield even with the help of enemy position reports is a pain in the ass. I then tried to level up by attacking the only thing that I could easily see from the air, enemy AI emplacements only to find that you get no points for taking them out.. really? :confused:

I noticed also since I don't have enough air force rank which doesn't allow me to create missions sometimes I'm not even able to do bombing runs on the main AO because the only missions available are fighter missions on the other side of the map so I would have to take off on a stuka from there and fly halfway across the map for like 30 minutes only to reach the AO and drop all my bombs miss everything, not get a single kill and then be shot down by AA. This is wrong in so many levels and I can guarantee you new players will uninstall the game very quickly after realising that playing bomber is not fun but excruciatingly boring and frustrating.

2. Fighter missions: I haven't really gone much into this yet just tried 2 or 3 sorties one of which I was able to down a spitfire which was a very very exciting moment, specially for a noob. :D So no complaints or recommendations on this aspect of the game.

Ok so to summarize and make it easy if you don't feel like reading the whole story here goes the main aspects that need changing:

1. AI emplacements: Able to be taken out in a realistic manner by small arms fire and grant points for levelling up allowing for both a fun and rewarding experience.

2. Bridges: Shown on the map whether they are destroyed or not so that bombers don't lift off, fly for 10 minutes only to have to fly back to base empty handed.

3. Creating missions: I understand why noobs shouldn't be allowed to create missions but considering the low player numbers this game is currently experiencing it sometimes becomes ridiculous not allowing that. (read more on my story on how I couldn't fly bombing missions into the main AO above)

These are just 3 very simple things that I believe you can easily change and that will greatly improve the game experience of new players coming into contact with WW2 online. I will keep updating this thread with new feedback as I dig deeper into the game.

Let me know what you think about this and tell me if I'm saying something wrong since I'm new to the game there can be something I'm missing here so let me know ;)

Edited by reconrego

Actually, AI machineguns are not 100% bulletproof... more like 99% bulletproof. I have witnessed plenty of times someone with a LMG emptying an entire magazine/belt into a AI MG and it dying. It takes 50-100 bullets but it will die.

It can be done... but again, only by LMGs who are willing to burn through a lot of ammo. In theory you could kill them with a rifle... after the same amount of shots. The AO might be over before you see any results, however, and a grenade is a lot faster.

Defacto best unit for dealing with AI is the grenadier, of course. Point, shoot, AI dies. Nice & neat. One of the few things grenadiers are still good for.

AXIS grenadier is point and click, an advantage I suspect many Axis players do not fully appreciate. The Allied grenades bounce all over the place, which is great for around the corner room clearing but not for AI killing.

reconrego, to answer your question on knowing the status of a bridge. y

You can see the state of a bridge by clicking on it on the map and typing .own

That will show if it's up or down and how damaged it is.

The same command works for forward bases (FB's).

As for bomber missions and getting kills, it basically come down to where you choose to bomb and when. It your side is attacking a town and you have managed to capture something in that town you can guarantee there will be several targets in the army bases.

Your main targets will always be tanks, guns, trucks & boats. These you can easily spot them when they shoot, and the dust the vehicles kick up whilst moving make them easier to see.

Unless there is a LOT of flack, only drop one or two bombs on each pass, that way anything you do kill is likely to be re-spawning when you come in on your next pass.

If you get a couple of kills each mission then you are doing well.

And as for ranking up, bombing bridges is still the fastest way. It doesn't matter if the bridge is already down, as long as it has an attack objective on it you just need to hit it and you will still get the points for it. However, one thing to note, you can ONLY get points for hitting a specific bridge ONCE per mission.

Therefore take off, drop 1 bomb on the bridge , if there is more than one bridge with a AO on it, drop one on each bridge, then RTB. Rinse & repeat.

Dull as hell, teaches you nothing but how to hit a bridge, but will get you the rank you want.

Just a couple points Recon on your bombing mission-

-you CAN find out what a bridge state is before 'wasting' your time, you have to click on the bridge on the map (if it has an attack order on it it will have a red box around it), then type in .own. The same mechanism occurs with FBs, which was in the game early on and why most of the older players were immediately comfortable with the same thing being implemented on bridges.

Chalk that one up to lack of help pages/youtubes.

On both the bridge state AND finding bombing targets, your best bet is to be talking to your guys on the ground and fellow pilots. If you are playing Luftwaffe I believe the channel for air is 20- on the Allied side it is 55. Of course getting a mission on target is better, because you get the marks on the map feed in addition to target channel.

If you can find someone on teamspeak that can act as your forward observer, that is even better.

Tough to get to bomb tanks as people are usually careful about committing them, usually the best places for those are predictable locations, either spawning at their AB or FB, or camping your town's AB.

AA guns will announce their presence with tracers headed your way, I assume that requires no explanation.

A really important airpower use is killing FRUs, one CAS plane committed to that function can do the work of 5 dedicated FRU hunters. I've seen Allies be outnumbered 2:1 or worse but be saved by two FRU killing planes being vectored in by ground scouts. Trucks are also in the same category, both are MG/cannon fire vulnerable.

Just an idea ...maybe someone suggested it over the years but i dont remember seeing this ... How a about Take the AI out of the Towers and make the towers a unit that you can spawn into and be a Tower operator? Your view would be just like what the AI have now. Kill the tower and kill the player running it and then it needs to be rebuilt before it can be used again.

I don't know if it can be done but if enough players are interested then i can ask the coder team to look into it.

so 1.35 ... got it......

Seriously though, player man able "guard points" would be a bit more realistic than the semi-easily avoided all seeing laser AI.

Edited by b2k

There used to be a site that had a map of AI placements in each city and the direction they face. I believe it was battlegroundtools.com

The AI is defeated very easy knowing this information as you know how to approach. Once there you can find and grenade AI placements to get others a path into town from any direction. AI is brutal, but easy bypassed

I hope you hang around, we need bodies :)

There used to be a site that had a map of AI placements in each city and the direction they face. I believe it was battlegroundtools.com

The AI is defeated very easy knowing this information as you know how to approach. Once there you can find and grenade AI placements to get others a path into town from any direction. AI is brutal, but easy bypassed

I hope you hang around, we need bodies :)

Yes, we all know and agree its easy to bypass. Not the point.

The point is: Why do we need it at all?

I will wait.

Soo after 2 weeks without logging in I decided to log in tonight and see if I could have some fun rounds since I bought the starter account for a month. Joined axis infantry as usual had a pretty fun sortie, killed two brits who were guarding one depot then I got blown to pieces by a DD. Spawned 2 or 3 more times with the same faith. Blown up by the constant shelling of a DD so I though well since no one is doing anything about this DD I'm gonna go grab a stuka and try and land some hits on this guy and hopefully rank up a bit. Went to airforce, 3 available missions with no playing in them, all on towns halfway across the map, rank doesn't allow me to create a mission on one of the airfields which by the way is really close to the where the DD is. 10/10 would log in again. (Not. Probably uninstalling this very soon and might take a look to see if anything changes once this reaches steam.. very dissapointing)

Soo after 2 weeks without logging in I decided to log in tonight and see if I could have some fun rounds since I bought the starter account for a month. Joined axis infantry as usual had a pretty fun sortie' date=' killed two brits who were guarding one depot then I got blown to pieces by a DD. Spawned 2 or 3 more times with the same faith. Blown up by the constant shelling of a DD so I though well since no one is doing anything about this DD I'm gonna go grab a stuka and try and land some hits on this guy and hopefully rank up a bit. Went to airforce, 3 available missions with no playing in them, all on towns halfway across the map, rank doesn't allow me to create a mission on one of the airfields which by the way is really close to the where the DD is. 10/10 would log in again. (Not. Probably uninstalling this very soon and might take a look to see if anything changes once this reaches steam.. very dissapointing)[/quote']

With all due respect your perspective is very personal and tactical. But if you look at the map strategically the axis actually had a pretty good day on the map today.

This game is not CoD, it is much more than a shooter. I suggest you join a squad on teamspeak to coordinate better with other players and understand the game better from a strategic map perspective.

And from a mission tactical perspective, for instance, if you wanted to fly an air mission, someone in your squad could have created it for you if they knew that was what you wanted.

Please don't take what I say as a criticism, but if you haven't played the game with other people on teamspeak, it is really hard to appreciate what the game with is all about, and I encourage you to try squad play on TS before you make a final decision on the game.

Cheers!

Edited by krazydog

Soo after 2 weeks without logging in I decided to log in tonight and see if I could have some fun rounds since I bought the starter account for a month. Joined axis infantry as usual had a pretty fun sortie' date=' killed two brits who were guarding one depot then I got blown to pieces by a DD. Spawned 2 or 3 more times with the same faith. Blown up by the constant shelling of a DD so I though well since no one is doing anything about this DD I'm gonna go grab a stuka and try and land some hits on this guy and hopefully rank up a bit. Went to airforce, 3 available missions with no playing in them, all on towns halfway across the map, rank doesn't allow me to create a mission on one of the airfields which by the way is really close to the where the DD is. 10/10 would log in again. (Not. Probably uninstalling this very soon and might take a look to see if anything changes once this reaches steam.. very dissapointing)[/quote']

Grabbing a stuka was the right move but when something like that (no mission for the town you want to fly to/from) happens, just ask on chat and someone will make one for you.

I don't remember the axis chan numbers for Air and Ops (I know they don't use the pretuned Ops one), so can someone post them here? For allied, asking that on Side channel, Ops channel or 55 will get you a quick reply.

That was Im guessing up in Moerdijk Im assuming. I was working the area for a bit and it was BRUTAL especially from the N/NE side where that EDD was shelling everything under the sun. The attack at that time was not well coordinated. Air and Navy support were needed but had not been planned as I believe there was another attack that was the primary. Even one Stuka would probably have not got the job done. One man cannot do it all in this game like other types of games.

If you need a mission made have a squaddie do it or ask on side chat and someone is always willing to post a mission.

Dont give up hope....the longer you play and get to understand the mechanics and map strategy the game gets interesting and fun.

AI is ridiculous, and needs to go.

The only reasons anyone here gave for keeping them was that it's to kill noobs and for low pop.

It easy to avoid, which makes it useless in low pop.

It kills noobs which hurts the impression for new players.

Neither is a good reason to keep AI.

Now, here this player comes in here and wines about AI. He also whines about many things that a new player who isn't in a squad would wine about.

I guess there are pros and cons to having a high command structure. Yes, it promotes teamwork. Human error is also present.

He should have asked for an air mission nearby.

I agree that ranking up in the air is just screwed. If you have to game the game just to get ten points per sortie then it'should ****ed.

It's been ****ed for years and no minor tweaking has helped much.

Take out the terminator AI, fix ranking inot the air.

Keep up the squad cohesion by having squads host noobs.

Really... AI towers. Come on.

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions but thanks for taking the time to write this, it's interesting to read a new players thoughts.

I've been here for many years and I still hate the AI!

I hope you stick around and get to know this great game much more.

No points for even killing the AI, you need a cannon because the gun & nades don't do the job. And what is with the bolt action rifles plus the deal with two stripper clips while very slowly reloading ?

As a new player I'm losing interest real fast. I don't see me paying to play if there are hackers and bugs galore etc., once the free trial is over its most likely delete time.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0