Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pfmosquito

Intermission Gameplay

10 posts in this topic

I was reading this thread where a new player was complaining about there not being that many people on during the weekend. Reading further, I learned that he was playing during Intermission.

The truth is that it should never be slow during Intermission. But the same thing happens every Intermission--the enemy spawn is recapped, or, worst of the worst, someone actually destroys the enemy's FB, thoroughly trashing the attack.

Not only is this pointless, but it is completely counter-productive. The new player's experience above illustrates the consequence of ending bloody combat in order to... save a town that is utterly meaningless, since there is no campaign under way!?!?!?

Every Intermission, a number of players have to beg other players not to recap the enemy spawn or blow a FB. We have to beg players not to cap the AB... capturing a town that is utterly meaningless, since there is no campaign under way!

It should be standing policy that Intermission should be used to facilitate the world's biggest, on-going battles, with capping/recapping occurring only when its clear everyone is tapped out.

If the players won't do this, then CRS should step in and 'hard code' it, as it were.

Capturing towns and blowing FBs are strategic elements that are useless during intermission. Emphasis should be on practicing tactics, and having a blasted good time. (To that end, while I might keep infantry as unlimited supply, I might put a cap on armor, albeit not too limited). Checking out the capabilities of the weapons, etc...

For that matter, 'dead time' between big battles even during the campaign can really dull interest in the game. I have several times proposed a 'daisy-chain' concept that would retain the strategic elements of the campaign, but ensure hot action at all times. It's the best of all worlds. If anyone would like me to explain it again, I will.

When intermissions were started, the community was burning out. The HC would leave days before the campaign would end so they could prepare for the next campaign. The winning side usually had less players during the first couple of days of the campaign. Shilling and I suggested the intermissions to break up the normal play. They were to be different things each campaign. Some centered around the navy, some around the air, some take England, etc.

I had fun during the intermission. I saw some good battles, until Antwerp. It kind of killed it for me.

Someone suggested closing all towns but the original towns in the Dinant Ciney area. I kind of liked that idea myself.

Something like closing off towns might do the trick. Or... I have no idea what would be required to do this... create a special town just for intermission designed to accentuate all the cool features you don't get to see very often, and hot combat.

For example, a large deep water lake with enemy towns on each side, with a small island in the middle with a cool town and 3 depots, one each always spanwable to each side with the middle capturable, which activates, say, another dock.

If I wanted this all the time, I'd play CoD or something else with no strategic elements. But during intermission, when the strategic side is pointless anyway, you may as well skip the down times and make it hot and furious all the time.

lock capping, or something as simple as being able to switch ownership of a depot, would probably be the absolute easiest way to keep an intermission battle going.

lock capping' date=' or something as simple as being able to switch ownership of a depot, would probably be the absolute easiest way to keep an intermission battle going.[/quote']

Agree, I think it will take disabled capping to ensure things remain fun for everyone. There will always be someone who feels the need to reclaim captured ground during intermission.

Simple solution.

Set roermond/roermond west and unkle/remagen allied and axis with a absolute understanding by the hc that these are off limits for AOs.

Set up Area51 as air brigades only. This one requires CRS to reset the towns (area 51) each time the unlinked ones surrender during the intermission.

As to locking capping, pretty sure it's lock capture/kills and not just one or the other.

Edited by oldzeke

i think you're right that kills are linked to captures for the GMs.

I think you've got the right idea about the adjacent towns. This would be easy enough to do simply by sticking brigades in there and telling HC to leave them alone.

It wouldn't surprise me if even HC tried to mount a strategic cut, even on that scenario, though. I've seen such things happen.

Maybe make the cap counters 2 or 3 times as long...so it's not as easy to cap.

If there's an actual good battle going on...it's going to be really hard to cap something that takes that long.

Unless the battle has died down tremendously, it won't be something somebody wants to do - sit in a CP for 10-15 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0