Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blggles

Collapse of the Cities - Intermission Idea

12 posts in this topic

Just an idea for intermission. Iirc the large buildings in game have damaged states, but they were 'turned off' because of the hit to fps. Their damage threshold was raised so high it became effectively impossible to reach the level where they flip to destroyed. That was years ago, however. The idea here would be to reduce the threshold to normal or less and see how the current computers handle the big city buildings in ruins.

I don't know how long it would take to change the settings, and so if its practicable or not, but since the servers are reset at intermission, that would seem to be the logical time to try it. It might add some good fun to those who have boxes that can handle it. Of course you'd have to be prepared to change it back if it proved too much for many. To prevent that, perhaps the number of AOs could be increased and HC could try and make sure there was always a battle or two at smaller towns.

Truly an idea of bold experimentation to add interest to the game, no? ;)

Y'know... instead of new toys I'd really love to see a push to make all buildings into actual buildings instead of just cardboard cutouts. We used to fire escapes on the sides of the large city buildings, at least - now we don't even have those anymore.

Imagine if every window in Antwerp was a real window. Actual urban combat would become a thing.

And imagine if we actually had a way to judge where our grenades were going, when we threw them...you know, like throwing a baseball when playing catch. Then we could throw them INTO those windows.

Hilarity ensues!

Seriously, though... Back in the day, every American kid played baseball. That's why the American grenades were the size they were. The Germans had to have "potato mashers" because they threw like girls. :)

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

I would like more infantry concealment options. Real buildings everywhere, and more diverse varieties of them, would be a big help. A lot of those WW2 battles descended into sniper vs sniper for stretches, and as much as I hate the idea of giving topekaman or agave even more places to shoot me from, the mostly '2 dimensional' world detracts from my immersiveness in the game.

To say it in a slightly different way, I would second the idea that more and diverse buildings, rather than other 'toys' would be something I approve of.

Y'know... instead of new toys I'd really love to see a push to make all buildings into actual buildings instead of just cardboard cutouts. We used to fire escapes on the sides of the large city buildings, at least - now we don't even have those anymore.

Imagine if every window in Antwerp was a real window. Actual urban combat would become a thing.

and get sniped every 10 feet? No thanks. I get sniped enough in big cities as is, I could do without padding axis stats.

My idea would be give the winning side's 2 best players a bomber with a nuke, and let them bomb a large city. Anyone that wanted to see could spawn into that city. Just expand the normal bomb blast a few million times. Make this the ending of intermission

My idea would be give the winning side's 2 best players a bomber with a nuke' date=' and let them bomb a large city. Anyone that wanted to see could spawn into that city. Just expand the normal bomb blast a few million times. Make this the ending of intermission[/quote']

The Rats did that already with a Stug. The server crashed.

It's probably for performance reasons when a building isn't able to be entered. There's no need to draw the interiors, etc. When your game doesn't make use of SLI vid cards, and you use a max of two CPU cores, it hamstrings your performance immensely.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0