Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rinzello

Is This Historically Accurate?

38 posts in this topic

I know there have been rumblings going on for a while, but I'm starting to really see it first hand. I know people have complained before about German panzers becoming very underpowered. Up to this point I figured that I just wasn't as good at being a tanker and that's why I died so much. Now I know that's only half true...

I was pulling up to a town along with 2-3 other panzers. One of them drove right up the road while I was taking the left flank. Even after being warned that there was an enemy tank in that area, the panzer on the road kept going and was quickly destroyed (2 or 3 hits). I had my engine off, checking the area as the third panzer pulled forward. By this point the enemy tank had been marked and hasn't moved.

The third panzer engaged this enemy tank and the battle didn't last long and he was destroyed as well. I saw where the shots came from and the enemy tank was behind a small hill. I waited it out and soon enough he started moving and the top of him was peeking out. I was hidden behind some cover myself, so I wasn't overly worried.

The enemy tank comes out of cover a bit and I see it's a Stuart. The rest of us were in Panzer IIIs or higher. I started firing when his turret was uncovered and I got a good number of shots on his turret with my AP. He fired a couple times at me but couldn't reach me. After a few direct hits he started backing off. I fired a couple more times, although I'm not sure if they hit.

It sounded like he was having some trouble driving around, so I made the poor decision to drive up and finish him off. I started driving as fast as I could to go around his rear end. He had stopped firing at me so I guessed that maybe his gunner was dead. I was wrong. Soon after leaving cover he shot once into my front armor and instantly ALL of my crewmembers were dead.

So, is this accurate that a light tank can take on numerous medium tanks and just wreak them all? I don't know how many times I've been in a German tank, had a single shot come out of no where and was instantly killed.

I don't know if Allied players on the other sign whined enough to get some sort of super tanks, but consider this my whining. It seems to just be "how things are" on the Axis side now.

It's accurate HERE.

The Stu one-shotting pzr3s is an all too common occurrence.

Considering that an ATR can degun a Stu with either a flank shot to the turret or a left of center rear shot with the same 20MM rifle, that Stu should have been degunned at the least.

There isn't really a reason you need to hit the bullseye on the rear quarter to kill one with a tank or ATG, and needs to be fixed.

Can we cry back some power into the German tanks then? I don't ever play as Allies, but I'd feel a little let down if it just seemed like a cake walk. Makes me wonder if Omaha Beach in WWIIO would be a bunch of troops just calmly walking over the beach and taking stuff over and the Germans can't do anything to stop it. I'm not saying German armor should be unstoppable, but it should be a little bit of fear into you when you see one rolling up to you.

I assume you were engaging said tank within 300-400m.

At that range it is absolutely possible he takes you out and you him.

Your shots must have missed or didnt hit any vital part.

Add to that the server is crap for any atg/tank game since the patch in August, rounds do not seem to track the way they used to or it's the offset bug.

1 shot kills have become 3-5 shots and still luck is involved.

You can however just buy into the 'axis armor is nerfed' argument and allied tanks are overpowered for the sake of not having to blame either yourself, the server or that your opponent simply was better.

Mostly it's a combination of all these latter things ;).

Oh and the Stu normally dies just fine to most things.

Marc dont bother using logic, lol.

The original poster never stated what type of panzer, the angle or the distance.

When i play allied i feel the same way about stugIIIb's or PIV's one shotting my s35 or the IIIH taking out my stu.

Allied bias has been going on for years

Stand by...

If you're serious, that might actually be the funniest thing I've ever read about this game.

If you're serious' date=' that might actually be the funniest thing I've ever read about this game.[/quote']

I see you're new here

I see you're new here

Take off the tinfoil hat and try playing Allied, then.

If you're trying to start internet forum fights, you'll have to try harder than that. :rolleyes:

I see you're new here

Take off the tinfoil hat and try playing Allied, then.

If you're trying to start internet forum fights, you'll have to try harder than that. :rolleyes:

I've played both sides, and found myself saying "man our gear sucks" on both sides. My opinion of the gear is that it's roughly equal.

Infantry:

G41w is much better than the MAS40 and the LE is no match at all.

G41 Marginally better than the Garand.

MG34 is flat out better in every way to allied MGs.

Thompson is better than mp40 due to RoF

LE better than kar due to RoF and mag size

Ger Grenadier better than useless allied grenadiers

allied grenades better than ger grenades because they're harder to see.

Allied atr better than ger atr due to magazine (allows you to hold the bolt to see where your shot landed)

LE sniper better than ger sniper due to large magazine and stripper clip! feed.

So as far as infantry goes, the allies have more advantages than the germans, (5 to 4 in allied favour) but where the germans have their advantages, they tend to be much more significant than the allied advantages. So I'd say that Germany has the advantage in infantry.

But I wouldn't say that that CRS is biased towards any side, just that they don't always see the fairly obvious. Such as the fact that a ten round semi auto rifle with decent sights would be overwhelmingly better than a bolt action rifle and a 5 round semi auto with claustrophobic sights.

Each side believes their side is inferior to the other... and the truth is, there are some advantages for each side. Takahashi has listed out some. It depends how you're matched up in terms of equipment and knowledge / application of skills.

This game is tough, you will get your ass handed to you, but it's awesome, raw and one of a kind. Enjoy the ride soldier, S!

He has sensitive feelings and can't take the truth

My take from this thread so far is that you are an old player come here on a F2P account to troll the forums.

Do I win a prize?

it was a light tank and had therefor "light" armor values

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m3stuart.html#M3A3

in this game it is coded like a medium tank .........

I play Axis. As Axis players know and some Allied will know, I am an armoured player.

I do not fear any allied tank but I am very aware of the Stuart for the reasons in the above quote.

Nobody needs to get on their high horse over this but just some info.

From Tanks Encyclopedia:

The highly upgraded M3A3 was the last version of this light tank before being completely replaced by the M5. The two tanks shared similar sloped hull armor and turret, but the M5 was more powerful, quieter and more comfortable. The sloped armor and new turret were both thoroughly tested improvements, which greatly compensated for the lack of armor. Critics, however, still argued that their main gun was no match for any German tank of the time and their still high profile made them easy targets, despite their improved speed. These reasons, among others, explain why these tanks were most of the time relocated to the Far East, India and the Pacific, where they could deal more easily with Japanese tanks. In the European theater these tanks were used in conjunction with the more powerful M4 Sherman medium tanks, as screening and scouting armored wings.

From BGE wiki:

The M3A3 variants and the later M5A1 Stuarts were lend-leased to the Free French, and performed well as long they weren’t expected to engage the heavier German tanks at stand off positions.

By Normandy some British Units with the Stuart M5 had taken the turret off and turned it into a turretless recce vehicle only. It was far too vulnerable in 1944 to stand a chance in Normandy.

You should try engaging the H39. What a beast. CRS needs to crush that tank with the nerf bat too so German panzers can be dominate just like the BoF and in movies. I don't think there is an Allied tank that the Germans have not asked to be wacked by the nerf bat and the theme of this tread will soon become dominated by nerf the Stuart. Maybe the Allied side can pay a victory tax for the Axis.

To the OP, sometimes odd things happen. If you were in a 3F I would not be surprised at all that this happened. Trust me the Stu dies just fine to most hits. What the Stu does well is hit hard for its tier. A Stu that is using a berm is a hard target. A competently handled Stu depending on the quality of the opponents can easily defeat multiple tier zero and tier one panzers.

Well just checked the OP's missions and what is being complained about did not happen. He has died to Stuarts twice and I was his killer on one of those sorties. My mission went down nothing like what is being described. I killed 5 PZ camping or trying to camp the Catillion AB including the OP's 4D. None of those panzers even got a chance to shoot at me.

So the other sortie shows a death by Ian00 who killed the OP and an LMG not a bunch of panzers. This is not a flame of the OP but instead clearly a situation where the fog of war has clouded what actually went on. The OP and friends were actually against multiple Allied units. Perhaps the Stu he was shooting at was already dead. Perhaps the OP was killed by a unit he did not see. Who knows.

The proof:

http://csr.wwiionline.com/playersorties.php

http://csr.wwiionline.com/playersortie.php?username=ian00&sortieidin=283441

http://csr.wwiionline.com/playersortie.php?username=arno&sortieidin=278999

Edited by arno

The American 37mm was VERY hard hitting, much better then the German 37mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.7_cm_KwK_36

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_mm_Gun_M3#Ammunition

The Stu however is ultimately a light tank and so it evens out.

Angle also plays a factor, if the Stu was on a hill and hitting what would normally be a sloped front, it could have been straight 90 degrees and therefore easier to penetrate. Also, being up on a hill usually confers angle advantage to the higher altitude tank (unless the tank is heading down, in which case it could be exposing it's top side and much more vulnerable).

The thing missing from the model for the Axis is FHA for the earlier panzers, face hardened armor, which should be better against lower caliber lower speed rounds and more brittle against heavier calibers. I don't think the model is that nuanced.

Im definately not suggesting there is anything wrong with the Stu. There still too many odd things with offset, lag etc. But I am cautious with them in this tier. That gun will tear through everything I can lay my hands on.

Yesterday I caught one off guard, smashed it, degunned it, left it with turret mg only, it despawned. No kill registered. Valenciennes by Orchies cp if anyone knows who it was.

The American 37mm was VERY hard hitting, much better then the German 37mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.7_cm_KwK_36

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_mm_Gun_M3#Ammunition

The Stu however is ultimately a light tank and so it evens out.

Angle also plays a factor, if the Stu was on a hill and hitting what would normally be a sloped front, it could have been straight 90 degrees and therefore easier to penetrate. Also, being up on a hill usually confers angle advantage to the higher altitude tank (unless the tank is heading down, in which case it could be exposing it's top side and much more vulnerable).

The thing missing from the model for the Axis is FHA for the earlier panzers, face hardened armor, which should be better against lower caliber lower speed rounds and more brittle against heavier calibers. I don't think the model is that nuanced.

Buzz Killington, right on cue.

Go fondle a train

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0