• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New job posting.   02/23/2019

The Community Management team is looking for war correspondents to provide news stories or after action reports to be published on our website and our Steam forums.  Player correspondents imbedded with a squad is fine along with reporters overall who might want to produce stories about the campaign, a piece of equipment, a battle or a skirmish - all stories are encouraged and welcome.  If intertested in a volunteer war correspondent position apply at Tman@corneredrats.com
ou812

Why isn't this game more popular??

165 posts in this topic

The game was good, very good. Hundreds of people on a Sunday night, great inter-squad action. Great battles 6+ AO's loads of fun. People always seemed to complain about various parts of this game comparing it to this and that, COD for one, Arma for another. This game is not any of them, it is a stand alone. Yes it lacks graphically and no you cant climb into vehicles. But for thos of us who have been around the game over 10 years and more, it was never about that. Ths one over riding thing that brough so many people to WWIIOnline was the community, it was the names that brought us back every day. 

There were many problems with the game, clipping, hackers lag etc but it didnt drive people away. Numbers were very high, the fun was there, the battles raged on. There were many changes over the years, the introduction of TOES hit the game hard but faces remained. 

There was a period however when large numbers left, whole squads, me being one and even though I have tried to return, as other have, it has never been the same. I did think and hoped that things would improve when the names at the back of CRS changed but I see little difference. Changes in game appear to have made no improvements, the increase on kill requirements for FBs and the change to FRUs to name just two. 

I wish the game well as I miss it, I miss the people, but too many changes were made to try to keep up with the few who wanted them. Those that were around didnt really care so much about the graphics or the toys. They were more interested in the honesty from CRS, the lag and the hackers the clipping. 

Good luck all

Igor

40 minutes ago, theigor said:

The game was good, very good. Hundreds of people on a Sunday night, great inter-squad action. Great battles 6+ AO's loads of fun. People always seemed to complain about various parts of this game comparing it to this and that, COD for one, Arma for another. This game is not any of them, it is a stand alone. Yes it lacks graphically and no you cant climb into vehicles. But for thos of us who have been around the game over 10 years and more, it was never about that. Ths one over riding thing that brough so many people to WWIIOnline was the community, it was the names that brought us back every day. 

There were many problems with the game, clipping, hackers lag etc but it didnt drive people away. Numbers were very high, the fun was there, the battles raged on. There were many changes over the years, the introduction of TOES hit the game hard but faces remained. 

There was a period however when large numbers left, whole squads, me being one and even though I have tried to return, as other have, it has never been the same. I did think and hoped that things would improve when the names at the back of CRS changed but I see little difference. Changes in game appear to have made no improvements, the increase on kill requirements for FBs and the change to FRUs to name just two. 

I wish the game well as I miss it, I miss the people, but too many changes were made to try to keep up with the few who wanted them. Those that were around didnt really care so much about the graphics or the toys. They were more interested in the honesty from CRS, the lag and the hackers the clipping. 

Good luck all

Igor

A lot of good improvements are coming to the game. I feel enthusiastic. The remove of TOEs is a major good step in the right direction to get numbers. Please come back soon (c).

Well they are already getting ready for steam so this game is going to be popular soon lol.  This game will never be the same once it goes to steam.  There will be thousands of players playing, it's going to be epic.  Just hope they have plans to make the games map a lot bigger in the future haha.  hope all goes well

While I don't think there will be thousands, I do think there will be hundreds of new players.  The first week is when the Rats need to make their biggest impression with them.  

All i'm going to say is the rats truly care about this game to were they are releasing it on steam to bring it back.  The rats have done a beautiful job, a great job, a fantastic job keeping this game going and once it releases on steam this game will never be the same again ( in a good way).  Out of all the games I have played, there is no other game like this, with this type of action we all experience, I mean come on 10,000 players in a single server! Gives me chills and we ALL KNOW what kind of battles those will be =)!  This game is going to live forever.  Thank you to all the rats who have given 150% to make this game what is  and what it soon shall be :)  Something titanic, something epic!

On 10/9/2016 at 3:52 PM, theigor said:

Two afternoons a week of solid coordinated action used to be enough for me to justify the high monthly subscription, and I wasn't even all that active in the squads I just logged on and piggybacked off what was going on. Those player-created events were killed off though and I don't see a reason to subscribe anymore. Especially now with low population most of the day, weeks-long ending stages of the campaign where no one logs on, and intermission periods frequently on the weekends right when you do have time to play mean that you pay for a month, but the game is unplayable half of that time.

On 10/9/2016 at 3:52 PM, theigor said:

Changes in game appear to have made no improvements, the increase on kill requirements for FBs and the change to FRUs to name just two.

It's too hard to start a fight, and way too easy to end it. The FRU change made this problem worse. The FB change actually made this problem better for active AOs, but outside the AO it is a monumental task to blow a defended FB and get a fight started. Keeping the HC chess game from being upset took priority over keeping average players entertained and logged on.

Amen to that Igor .

WWIIOL was never about graphics, skins or sub prices . It has been about all those great officers in the past who made the game what it was . Being a Day 1 2001 veteran, I can still remember a few dozens of those great names even should I forget everything else. Sure, big population was a factor too but without those leaders who organized, communicated and lead on the front, those Dinkers, Vasquez, Shillings or Deadlocks to just name a few, the game would have died many years ago .

The problem is that all the great names disappeared gradually after 2010 and with all the respect to the work of the present HQs, some years ago EVERY single KG let alone Division had more active and 24/24 OL officers in their rosters than a whole HQ today . God, I remember that only in my KG we had a Japanese Squad with 3 officers attached to cover the TZ3 :)

Battles going on small and large on the whole front and every single one with a field officer in command and not merely 2 or 3 AOs that we got now used to .

This is imho the principal reason why WWIIOL struggles . It has never been a mere PvP shooter but without front officers and large Squads backing all that organisational and command infrastructure it is what is left .

This game has been around for a very long time and should continue to! But we all need to welcome the new players that are currently starting to play the game. Yes it is hard to engage the new player with just text chat. We all must keep trying. I am asking that everyone reach out to new players to ensure they are not lost in some way. This is the biggest thing everyone can do to help. The next new player you contact make become a good friend! 

This brings me to Host Squads ....    With the auto pruning fixed for players who a not promoted to member the tedious task of removing dead weight is greatly reduced. You can get more info from HEAVY265@playnet.com 

We are now putting out regular release's that have not happened in years! This is huge as the game was so close to going dark. Regular updates will help with player retention.  With 1.36 coming and the changes that will have might bring back some Vets, but the goal is to grow with new players. The players we have now are the VETS and are the ones we are asking to be welcoming squad. We need your help!!! 

The  team is growing not shrinking. As the team grows the better we become. Everyone is part of the team.

1 person likes this

There is no golden ticket, or one single thing we can do to make vast improvements. It is a culmination of things, movements and beliefs. The players feedback is tremendously important, our ears are open. We cannot do everything that is said, and the things we do want to do take time. Fortunately we have a great momentum going as OHM has indicated.

Good days ahead, I am so glad we turned it around. S!

I really think the RATS have to get 1.36 out and FULLY tested by the playerbase with a WBS campaign, all before the steam release. The game only has one chance with the fickle steam community..make or break!

As it is now I have gone axis for a few maps for the first time since day 1 and the extremely low numbers and overall feeling is one of "someone else will do it" is alienating new and old players. That with the addition of the sideswappers is just exacerbating the problems the game has. We really need to test the low pop balancing changes that are coming.

Xoom - do you have an update schedule yet?

DropTow

On 10.10.2016 at 2:06 AM, captcrayon said:

Well they are already getting ready for steam so this game is going to be popular soon lol.  This game will never be the same once it goes to steam.  There will be thousands of players playing, it's going to be epic.  Just hope they have plans to make the games map a lot bigger in the future haha.  hope all goes well

If this would be real, they would have already done it. Not doing it, is like throwing money away, they could hire an extra coder just to get this through, if this would be so good. I also hope it comes true. They should just get on it. 

I spent 2 years in a big black hole called WOW they have huge recources to support  the game when you comare it to ww2 there's no comparison in funding for me but this game still  lives !  for me that's down to the hard core players and the rats  I've not seen any games that have such  a loyal player Base

I keep thinking of the sheer scope of the possible playerbase.  The United States alone has a population of about 325 million.  Approximately 80% of those people are ages 15 and above.  If only one tenth of one percent of the people fifteen and older played the game, we'd have over 260 thousand players.  And that's JUST the United States.  Add the rest of the world and we'd be looking at least at several times that, somewhere around a million players, perhaps.

So, where is everybody?

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

8 hours ago, odonovan1 said:

I keep thinking of the sheer scope of the possible playerbase.  The United States alone has a population of about 325 million.  Approximately 80% of those people are ages 15 and above.  If only one tenth of one percent of the people fifteen and older played the game, we'd have over 260 thousand players.  And that's JUST the United States.  Add the rest of the world and we'd be looking at least at several times that, somewhere around a million players, perhaps.

So, where is everybody?

-Irish

Last years i can simply not put the effort in playing the game anymore due to TZ3 ruining campaigns and lack of organized ops at the times I play. I played for the 1 day in the month where you did a 30+ tank column. It has been a vicious negative cycle. 

I just hope the game gets a shock-start from Steam which is bigger than the ones of the last years surrounding a patch. If pop gets high enough in eu/us tz and tz3 isnt the deciding factor anymore for campaigns then I would get pulled into the game again as well.

On 10/23/2016 at 8:53 PM, XOOM said:

There is no golden ticket, or one single thing we can do to make vast improvements. It is a culmination of things, movements and beliefs. The players feedback is tremendously important, our ears are open. We cannot do everything that is said, and the things we do want to do take time. Fortunately we have a great momentum going as OHM has indicated.

Good days ahead, I am so glad we turned it around. S!

maybe game is pulled out of fire but golden ticket is new engine.

new release new engine new looks better game