• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
accip

Longer sachel placement time?

11 posts in this topic

Is it possible to increase the amount of time it takes to place a sachel on tanks? I feel they break the tank game a bit, but increasing the time it takes to place them (5 seconds?) might help decrease their effectiveness.

Thoughts?

Accip

This is actually something that we've talked about internally. Since I like to think of these things in extremes — it helps make the side-effects of a change more obvious — I tend to think "What would happen if placing a satchel on a tank took 10-20 seconds?"

Personally, I'm somewhat fond of the idea (although maybe with a slightly reduced timer ;) ). Tanks with any infantry support will be impervious to satchels, but the lone tank will still be as vulnerable as ever. If you then do something like give every infantry a single HEAT satchel, you end up with a situation where a lone tank is just asking to get killed, but this can be negated with just a little bit of teamwork. It will also make it so, if you were killed by a satchel, you clearly and unambiguously deserved that death.

The big downsides are it would take animation work — both for the initial animation and any future timing adjustments — and it would place greater emphasis on ATGs, which are currently really delicate for their role. It may still be worth doing, but those are important points to consider.

EDIT: Big caveat: Before going all "Satchels for everyone", the game would benefit greatly from more in-game tools to help players work together on-the-fly — something to help the current solo tankers coordinate more with infantry and vice-versa.

Edited by VICTARUS

I like the sound of making a tank team with infantry cover more effective by increasing the timer. I do not like the idea of all infantry having a satchel. Just seems a bit too gamey I guess. No direct insult intended. I played tank hunter quite a bit in my early career and one of the things I love about it is that it is such a specific role where certain aspects of a players patience, cunning and strategy along with a bucket full of luck really make it such a thrilling and different experience. If you open that up to make it a more common experience it will not feel as specialized.

I'd go in the other direction and weigh sappers down more so they can't sprint for nuts and are a bit slower to begin with. Making the sapper less effective over long ranges and against armor with infantry cover. Eventually you would hope to code better base movement rate and fatigue based on amount of satchels on the sapper.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Edited by stonecomet

Thanks for the reply! I almost always cover lone tanks when I see them, but sappers are still able to get their sachels off at least half of the time(I'm a terrible shot).

I agree with Stonecomet; I'm not a fan of everyone getting a sachel(I like the specialization wwii online has), but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Accip

Any and all anti tank units (Sappers, ATR's, Shrecks/Zooks ) should be restricted to facility spawning ONLY. If a single infantry unit has the capability to knock out a tank or tanks. It should stem from the inside of a defense and not magically out in the middle of no where. Either via the current FRU or a truck based one. As for attacking placed mobile spawns, they would or should be reduced to very low numbers. Just a few to help defend the mobile spawn itself. Every newly placed offensive mobile spawn would receive a few units again to help cover the the MS from any armored units.

Any and all anti tank units (Sappers' date=' ATR's, Shrecks/Zooks ) should be restricted to facility spawning ONLY. If a single infantry unit has the capability to knock out a tank or tanks. It should stem from the inside of a defense and not magically out in the middle of no where. Either via the current FRU or a truck based one. As for attacking placed mobile spawns, they would or should be reduced to very low numbers. Just a few to help defend the mobile spawn itself. Every newly placed offensive mobile spawn would receive a few units again to help cover the the MS from any armored units.[/quote']

I don't know, I used to feel that way. But now I believe that the truck only based MSP would benefit from allowing ATG's and Trucks into the MSP spawn list making MSPs much more secure and dynamic. For me, now that MSPs are relatively static expanding the MSP damage characteristics and increasing MSP health capabilities and expanding the spawn list as mentioned would be an awesome combination. It would still benefit to tow an ATG or two on the placement run, but allowing ATGs to then spawn from the MSP once active allows ATGs to maintain a solid presence something vital in allowing MSPs good long range defenses so long as there is a supply of ATGs. Allowing Trucks to spawn from the MSP makes it a more viable daisy chain like mechanic if a good ZOC can be maintained. You could even consider including light armored cars in the spawn list. That way the new truck based MSP more simulates a significant and dynamic mustering of forces to not only attack the town but to defend itself.

I've even been advocating allowing the full spawn list upon a spawnable capture and even consider allowing Armor to spawn from any captured spawnable depot. Signifying a significant capture and a considerable forward shift of the Attacking Brigade(s) forces simulating area dominance from the direction of the now true front, the area between FBs and Towns. This would create a significant and logical tipping point in most battles.

I do not think that now with MSPs being placed only by trucks it is necessary or even advisable to restrict anti tank units to FB, AB and Depot spawns (Facility Spawns) only . I think that would be detrimental to good play.

Edited by stonecomet

I want to be able to throw satchels at things.

Yeah, useless against tanks, but great for taking out a room full of EI... especially considering that grenades are about as effective as wet toilet paper.

how about if infantry crosses within 20-50 m in the line of sight of another crew member who could see them if you occupied that position you get an alert, sort of like with Fairmiles calling out aircraft.

LOL ...

NO ... Any good tanker(my self include) knows that for a sapper to place a satchel on you it's a very hard feat and if he did it was your fault.

1 - Your commander has binoculars and with numpad you can check 360 around in less than 5 secs,

2 - You have 360º vision above the terrain meaning you can see over bushes when infantry is running towards you,

3 - You have a map that other players can mark infantry

4 - In a couple of tanks you can hear infantry running

5 - Most tanks can accelerate pretty quickly, when a tank is moving it's much harder to place a satchel because you can clip and the satchel will almost randomly be place in a spot you weren't aiming at.

6- You can choose to place your tank in a higher terrain with no grass which makes any approach to your vehicle nearly impossible

7 - If you use Teamspeak it adds another layer to make sapping a tank much harder.

This means a sapper can only kill you when you are shooting(which a smart tanker will also use to trick sappers to expose themselves), you have the commander dead, you aren't checking routinely 360º around you or you were foolish enough to park in the middle of dense bushes.

^^ so all of these are opportunities are outside the control of the sapper, sometimes you might be 100m from canuck or silky but you won't have an opportunity to place the satchel...

It's just too easy to spot the sapper and just move your tank and prevent him from placing or clipping the satchel and If I'm not wrong it was longer in the past but was reduced cuz of that reason.

This also applies to zookas to some extend but except you can be kill <100m away but to the fire arc in most cases you have an opportunity you counter attack.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0