Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
infumuzz

building a rig for wwiiol

20 posts in this topic

I have been out of game for way too long. Last computer went down and I ended up going to a surface product for business needs. Although it works great for work before I knew it I been out of game for years.

I'm planning on building a rig to try to save a bit of loot versus buying a purpose built machine. I would like to stay in the $500.00-$700.00 range.

Here is the issue... I'm not a tech guy. I have done some reading and feel like I could figure the build out. My real issue is not having any idea on which way to go for the components of the build. In all actuality wwiiol is really the only reason for this build. That being said I really would like to come in under budget if possible.

Am I dreaming or is this possible? I'm really looking to go with what the game will need at a performance level that won't hinder play. I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles just looking to find an economical way of getting back in game.

I'm sure there could be as many opinions as people when it comes to the hardware. Most important to me is afordability in quality mid level components with considerations to a noob builder.

Thanks S!

You could easy build a rig withing the budget you have..

duel core is fine get best you can afford

8meg memory

nvidia graphics card this is where you need to spend your budget on best you can

I play on a laptop that cost me £500 ($600?) about 3 years ago

Game runs fine and can play main and tow accounts simultaneously

Can any of you tech guys tell me if this load out should be good for the game? I was really hoping for some help on what to go with.

This is what I'm thinking..

CPU/Processor: Intel Pentium G3258

GPU/Graphics Card/Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

RAM: 8GB (Team Dark DDR3-1600 CAS 9

Storage: 1TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda)

Motherboard: ECS B85H-M9: Has SATA III 6 GB/s and USB 3.0 support

Case: Thermaltake Versa H25

PSU/Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+

This game is more processor dependent then anything else get a 4690k i5 they are 200 dollars but you can easily overclock it to 4.5GHz its definatly worth it! try to get a gtx 950 or 960 if you can afford it. But yea the processor is where you are going to see your best performance gains.

This is a build a made for you:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7bBHXL

It goes slightly over budget 30$(including rebates) but it makes few to no compromises and in some aspects is has a good life expectancy, it will also support Oculus rift(VR) which is something everyone should try and will be part of the future of gaming and interactivity.

You can also shave 15$ from going with the non-unlock CPU the i5-4690:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372&cm_re=intel-_-19-117-372-_-Product

Another 16$ if you don't buy the DVD-ROM.

If decide to go with 8GB of RAM make sure to buy 2x 4GB Cards, the speed you see advertise is always with 2 Cards(Dual Channel) having just one will affect performance since it will be half the speed, on that case 800mhz.

-16 GB RAM(You will not really need to replace this)

I chose 16GB because I currently have 8GB but playing a game with chrome open already consumes nearly 8GB. It also helps if you ever get to in recording gameplay.

1800mhz with CAS 9 has the best response time(the only thing that matters and if I find a table to compare willl post it here) and will probably add 0.5-1 FPS.

But again 1600Mhz has you have the difference will be pretty much unnoticeable.

You get to keep 2 Slots if you ever need it on the future.

-CPU(You will not really need to replace this)

WW2ol is a CPU intensive game and it's still giving steps towards fully multi core implementation. So a Quad Core has a better expectancy, it will handle other more heavy games even if you don't play them but if you ever think on selling the PC it would add more value.

Plus the 'K' on the name means it's unlock so you can overclock it and squeeze some more performance.

-GPU

My 2GB 660 that is slightly below the 960 in nº of CUDA cores and GPU speed has started to get texture popping with most recent games and it's not reaching 60 FPS when maxed on WW2OL because of specular and normal maps disabling these thought it can reach it but for the future 4B is a must.

Despite Oculus Rift recommending the 970 the 960 will still handle well on virtual reality.

-Mobo(You will not really need to replace this)

Everything you need plus it has a lot of USB 3.0 which will be necessary for Oculus Rift. It's also from a company I have had only positives experiences and used to be a subsidiary of ASUS.

-Hard Drive(You will not really need to replace this)

1 TB at 7200 RPM and more than 64mb of cache that's at the top of performance on a HDD.

(If you ever make an upgrade an SDD will be something that will affect your FPS in games like this)

-Case(You will not really need to replace this)

This a small case portable enough and if you ever get to buy a CPU watercooler it support a large radiator.

-Powersupply

The one you mention is still a great choice if you don't by this. Still I like to have a larger interval, in pcpartpicker the total wattage is 306W but this can vary with games and upgrades. But the industry is going towards more energy efficient so it's not a bad choice.

There is one left here:

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-500-Watt-Certified-FD-PSU-IN2B-500W/dp/B009O8CEBC

-DVD-ROM

Just in case you have DVD based games, it can also help in emergencies when installing drivers for the Mobo etc..

What pbveteran said.

I highly recommend getting an SSD and using it for your OS and other frequently used applications. It's a life changer if you spend a lot of time on your PC.

I used to have an Intel G3258, it was awesome picked it up for 52 pounds, this game loves really fast chips, I got it to 4.4GHZ with a stock cooler, and it flew, much better punch for your cash than an I7 if this is your main game, it will struggle on more advanced programs that use multi core processors

at one point Intel couldn't stock the G3258 quick enough

Can any of you tech guys tell me if this load out should be good for the game? I was really hoping for some help on what to go with.

This is what I'm thinking..

CPU/Processor: Intel Pentium G3258

GPU/Graphics Card/Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

RAM: 8GB (Team Dark DDR3-1600 CAS 9

Storage: 1TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda)

Motherboard: ECS B85H-M9: Has SATA III 6 GB/s and USB 3.0 support

Case: Thermaltake Versa H25

PSU/Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+

Thanks for the input guys. So since my post I found a already built unit with the parts I was planning on for $400.00 new. Seems like a steal. I really like the post from the parts picker that would be a great machine I'm sure.

My question is would the system shown here be a letdown in performance...I know the better parts would make a sweet machine but it's also another $300.00 over this setup. This would be a dedicated machine for wwiiol. I have a surface for work and a laptop for surfing the web. I just need this machine for the game and TS only.

I really don't know anything about computers so I really appreciate the help on this. My emphases really is on value for this machine. I just don't want to end up kicking myself later if I were to get it and the performance was a bust. I would have to assume that it would be leaps and bounds over everything else I have used to play the game in the past. They were all out of date machines that barely ran the game.

Thanks for the input guys. So since my post I found a already built unit with the parts I was planning on for $400.00 new. Seems like a steal. I really like the post from the parts picker that would be a great machine I'm sure.

My question is would the system shown here be a letdown in performance...I know the better parts would make a sweet machine but it's also another $300.00 over this setup. This would be a dedicated machine for wwiiol. I have a surface for work and a laptop for surfing the web. I just need this machine for the game and TS only.

I really don't know anything about computers so I really appreciate the help on this. My emphases really is on value for this machine. I just don't want to end up kicking myself later if I were to get it and the performance was a bust. I would have to assume that it would be leaps and bounds over everything else I have used to play the game in the past. They were all out of date machines that barely ran the game.

If it's only going to be a dedicated machine for WWIIOL, I think you'd be fine with that list.

to put your mind at ease i can run ww2 on high settings on my laptop, and im on an I5 3600U and Nvidia 940M

it runs easily at 40 FPS

I would go with anything that gets you to 4 Ghz, 8-16 MB, 600-700 W PS with the 80+ rating and best Nvidia within budget.

The game is processor intensive first and graphics second, highest cycles since it mostly uses one processor, anything above two cores isn't getting you much given the nature of the workload.

The higher PS allows a nice cool graphics run on amperage and room to pop in a newer card as a faster upgrade.

For a mere $50 more you can go to a real sweet spot of price performance with the GTX960.

Thanks for the input guys. So since my post I found a already built unit with the parts I was planning on for $400.00 new.

My question is would the system shown here be a letdown in performance...I know the better parts would make a sweet machine but it's also another $300.00 over this setup. This would be a dedicated machine for wwiiol.

I would really consider especially the CPU it only support memory up to 1333mhz so you probably had to go with other than that RAM at 1600mhz.

Also that CPU is better for home stations like to watch tv, record stuff etc.. It can be average for gaming but you have to overclock to 4.5Ghz which you will need some reading.

That Graphics Card is obsolete it has few economic value but should run WW2ol fine over 40Fps if you turn down shadows.

Btw can't you use your old pre-built case, dvd-rom, hdd and maybe even powersupply(if the wattage is over 300W)?

Edited by pbveteran

I would really consider especially the CPU it only support memory up to 1333mhz so you probably had to go with other than that RAM at 1600mhz.

Also that CPU is better for home stations like to watch tv, record stuff etc.. It can be average for gaming but you have to overclock to 4.5Ghz which you will need some reading.

That Graphics Card is obsolete it has few economic value but should run WW2ol fine over 40Fps if you turn down shadows.

Btw can't you use your old pre-built case, dvd-rom, hdd and maybe even powersupply(if the wattage is over 300W)?

I'm thinking I may just go for that build you suggested earlier. Its just going to take me a bit longer to get in game going that route. I'm not a very patient kind of guy though so its a little tough. The more I think about it I'm only wanting it to be value for now....i know in a year or so I will end up kicking myself for not putting together a better machine.

I'm new to putting a machine together and was curious as to what I could use out of the old box. So DVD-rom and hdd only? The reason it was down in the first place was the power supply went out so I won't be saving that.

I'm thinking I may just go for that build you suggested earlier. Its just going to take me a bit longer to get in game going that route. I'm not a very patient kind of guy though so its a little tough. The more I think about it I'm only wanting it to be value for now....i know in a year or so I will end up kicking myself for not putting together a better machine.

I'm new to putting a machine together and was curious as to what I could use out of the old box. So DVD-rom and hdd only? The reason it was down in the first place was the power supply went out so I won't be saving that.

Yup there shouldn't be any problem with reusing the case and dvd-rom.

With hdd you have to see what cable you have between this two:

cable.jpg

If it's the 1st you have(IDE), check the back of the your hdd where the cable connects if there is a socket for the second cable or you have the second cable it's no problem.

If it's the first with no socket you might need an adapter which is kinda cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004

Edited by pbveteran

This is what I started with:

AMD 1.2Ghz/266

ASUS A7V133 KT133a

512 Micron PC133 cas2

ATI Radeon 64DDR VIVO

SB Live X-Gamer 5.1

IBM ATA100 30GB

Plextor CD-RW

Windows 98SE

This is what I have:

Intel I5 6600 3.4GHz

Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming5

16 GB GSKILL Ripjaw DDR4 3000

EVGA GTX 960 4GB

Samsun 850 EVO 250GB SATA III

Windows 10 64-bit

This is what I started with:

This is what I have:

Intel I5 6600 3.4GHz

Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming5

16 GB GSKILL Ripjaw DDR4 3000

EVGA GTX 960 4GB

Samsun 850 EVO 250GB SATA III

Windows 10 64-bit

Pretty good except DDR4 3000 is a waste of money, overprice with no noticeable improvement :P and Win 10 is meh..

Just to put in perspective:

Intel I7 3770k O.C at 4.0Ghz with Corsair H110 Watercooler

Z77 Asrock OC Formula

Patriot 8GB DDR3 2400Mhz(2x4GB)

(replacing by Crucial 16GB 1600mhz CL8 low profile)

EVGA 660 Super O.C. 2GB

Transcend 128GB (Windows,PvP online games and development software)

500GB WD Black(Games)

2TB WD Green(a couple more HDD, for files rendering..)

Windows 7 64-bit

Pretty good except DDR4 3000 is a waste of money, overprice with no noticeable improvement :P and Win 10 is meh..

Yeah I found out after the fact the DDR4 ram will only clock at 2166 because it's locked by the CPU. I didn't see that coming even though it is approved by the motherboard mfr. Oh well, good thing it was on a Black Friday sale for a good price.

Since I was using the existing case, power supply SSD and other peripherals it costs around $600 for the upgrade.

Edited by tazz

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0