Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
katonka

Old School Tactics

34 posts in this topic

We need to remind ourselves of past successes. We have to forget the instant action scenarios and start using back towns to run frus and armor columns. FBs need to be taken down regularly.

HC needs to go back to spawning into each brigade and checking for missions and frus before they move brigades and communicate more with player base. Numerous Defence frus have been lost this weekend due to brigades moving with no warning.

But that takes teamwork' date='coordination & patience.[/quote']

you forgot tactics and communication

That takes people... People we don't have.

I just spent three hours moling Berry-Au-Bac and hating life.

Set up a fru from Neuf, there's no supply left.

Got a tank, drove in to die to an atg.

Nobody attacking at all. One or two defenders and AI only.

Very boring.

We got a three man para mission going, flew in, walked to within 500M of a cp and got sniped.

Went to Heirbart's navy fru out of Reims and walked to within 200M of a cp and got pinged by an AI tower. Capped the spawn any way and then we can't make missions in Navy to a spawnable.

Totally wasted my night of gaming, no pop on much at all.

OK Allied players.... you're so keen on pushing teamwork, comms and tactics.

Come try and get ANYTHING set up as Axis. Let's see you take a hard AO.

One of your best squads... let's go.

Make me a believer in your f^ck!ng superior comms, tactics and teamwork.

As of now, all it looks like is that a bunch of Axis sideswitched and played the Shermgate Mode to wipe us out town by town.

I'm telling you... even if you sent ten of your guys in a full Axis bgde you wouldn't be able to cap a hard AO town.

Teamwork or otherwise.

The infantry game is dead.

pretty sure the axis can win with new rules....numbers just tipped the other way atm but i am positive it will tip back sooner or later

We need to remind ourselves of past successes. We have to forget the instant action scenarios and start using back towns to run frus and armor columns. FBs need to be taken down regularly.

HC needs to go back to spawning into each brigade and checking for missions and frus before they move brigades and communicate more with player base. Numerous Defence frus have been lost this weekend due to brigades moving with no warning.

Really good stuff here Katonka, I see a lot of progress being made in terms of adapting by the Axis player base. Overtime it will get better for sure.

On the note of High Command, though cliche, HC officers really are needed so long as the game requires them. Consider being a reserve officer for "in case of emergency" purposes. You can help your side tremendously by doing this, and enable your squad to conduct squad operations in conjunction with your side strategy.

We've had quite a few more players login as we've mentioned a few times. The population balancing is something we really need to get serious about when we're on 1.35, and we will. Whether it's the Axis side right now or the Allied side another time, managing population imbalance is KEY to the game's success.

I just spent three hours moling Berry-Au-Bac and hating life.

Set up a fru from Neuf, there's no supply left.

Got a tank, drove in to die to an atg.

Nobody attacking at all. One or two defenders and AI only.

Very boring.

We got a three man para mission going, flew in, walked to within 500M of a cp and got sniped.

Went to Heirbart's navy fru out of Reims and walked to within 200M of a cp and got pinged by an AI tower. Capped the spawn any way and then we can't make missions in Navy to a spawnable.

Totally wasted my night of gaming, no pop on much at all.

Moles in big towns suck, regardless of side. the only thing worse is Defending against the mole.

Paras = 50/50 gamble but usually results in death against and alerted enemy

AI fires in a 90(ish) degree arc from it's direction of fire (with a twitch for a few degrees outside of that)-- usually along cardinal directions (N,S,E,W) and 99% of the time along roads (yes there are some that that are of angle, but not as a general rule)

Should have checked neuf supply before spawning the truck, it's literally listed....

ATG's... yeah with the new mechanics ATG's are probably the best defense unit.. low profile, hard to spot, easy to stuff in odd spots, and if set up early enough can decimate an unsuspecting attacker.

Both sides suffer from Turtle mode, once a side decides to defend, the other could probably pull back and completely despawn and there would still need to be considerable effort to get people onto an attack.

Paras in less than 8-10 generally are useless except to get a defense paranoid and looking at every bush.

Edited by b2k

Couldn't agree more!!

The years past of slowly ripping the roots that the former player base grew do to game changes, has reared its head. Theres a whole new player base brought about by insta action changes and or lack of any change at all. Inf placed fru's is just one...omfg skulls (havent had them on since day one). Moving supply. WTF is that? Hitting FB's (which are a bit tougher now) and might I add has had a huge impact on sustaining an attack. And that was almost screwed up when they were suggesting making the fb industructable thank god they didn't go that route. Now we have peeps wanting to make a box that spawns a whole dam armies worth of supply either indistructable or ***cough*** tougher. CHange the look, give them some camo....hey heres an idea, PPO's that PLAYERS could place that could HELP fortify the fru......how about a multitude of units (besides infantry) placing frus' with different types of spawn lists. All keeping natural barriers in play. Self towing? Allowing ATG coverage for the fru.

Some of the ideas getting kicked around from what im hearing are just crazy. Its time to roll back a bit to what worked....adding new stuff that fits that mold.

As for my Axis comrades who are bailing out....due to some sort of OMFG the RATS ****ed us...suk it up! and dig in. And fyi they didn't. This is an awesome change.......lets get back to what we were once really good at.

Peace.

I'm trying guys.

I really am.

No more bithcing in the forums for a start, or letting certain forum dwellers rile me up.

You can fight AND biatch in the forums at the same time!

Its one of the great pleasure of this game.

Yes!

Errr, wait

I'm still playing...

I'd love it if side balancing was done upon log in, to really balance sides. It's just no fun defending against a hugely overpop attack, and that's pretty much ALL we've been doing since the patch.

I understand that the truck frus are good for the game, and I championed that cause.

Nothing is gamier than building boxes that a brigade's worth of shreks and smgs can spring out of.

I also want to see the return of Zs of C.

The problem lies in how the committed players react to and are affected by this sort of change. I have played Allied, and really don't want to play allied. The poor comms, bad teamwork and all of it are the same there as well, EXCEPT for in the big squads for either side.

Squads are what makes this game playable. Squads with leadership and teamspeak.

Even six players can make a huge difference when they're all together.

The problem with that is that side locking is much harder with squads. Most are "side" only.

What if they had to play one side or the other based on pop, and then the opposing TS channels would be locked out?

What ideas are floating around for this?

Quit killin me bro....gj btw

I'm still playing...

I'd love it if side balancing was done upon log in, to really balance sides. It's just no fun defending against a hugely overpop attack, and that's pretty much ALL we've been doing since the patch.

I understand that the truck frus are good for the game, and I championed that cause.

Nothing is gamier than building boxes that a brigade's worth of shreks and smgs can spring out of.

I also want to see the return of Zs of C.

The problem lies in how the committed players react to and are affected by this sort of change. I have played Allied, and really don't want to play allied. The poor comms, bad teamwork and all of it are the same there as well, EXCEPT for in the big squads for either side.

Squads are what makes this game playable. Squads with leadership and teamspeak.

Even six players can make a huge difference when they're all together.

The problem with that is that side locking is much harder with squads. Most are "side" only.

What if they had to play one side or the other based on pop, and then the opposing TS channels would be locked out?

What ideas are floating around for this?

I agree, it sux being underpop. It's hard to find the motivation to log in when most of your squad mates and fellow players aren't logging in. November and december was so frustrating it was unbelievable. I logged in maybe a hundred times and I swear to God axis showed as overpop every ****ing time. But pop will eventually swing, just keep logging in and do the basics. Patience.

As for my Axis comrades who are bailing out....due to some sort of OMFG the RATS ****ed us...suk it up! and dig in. And fyi they didn't. This is an awesome change.......lets get back to what we were once really good at.

Peace.

Time for me to spend some time wearing grey.

I see some fun double account, AT Gun/hauler play in my future.

Actually, just logged on for 30 minutes and my big comment is that Axis defence is very reactive. Lots of people piling into lost fights but not jumping in to set up defence on obvious targets. I just watched Leuven fall so immediately went to the Leuven/Arschott FB to defend it. Called for help but only got one other person. 5 minutes later we were swarmed by EI supported by a tank.

When you are out numbered and on the defensive you need to focus on FB ownership (especially those to towns with enemy AOs on them), spawnable depots and getting AT Guns out BEFORE the enemy hit the town in numbers. All of that involves identifying the tell tale signs of an enemy attack. That is hard to do as you spawn into a camped spawn point to fight a lost battle.

When I find myself spawning into a camped spawnpoint in a battle that looks lost I go back to the map to work out where the next enemy attack will be and spawn there.

Edited by cavalier

Notes to self:

1. 30 minutes play does not necessarily show you all that is happening from the other side.

2. Telling people what they are doing wrong (even if you are right) serves no purpose other than to annoy people even if all they are doing is biatching on 10 and side on how unfair the game is.

3. Instead I must be patient, play smart, communicate sensibly and see if I can get others to join me in pro-actively setting up defences to smack down attacks.

The side switcher coming over to help can make things worse than better, regardless of how good their intentions are and how well they play.

We've had quite a few more players login as we've mentioned a few times. The population balancing is something we really need to get serious about when we're on 1.35' date=' and we will. Whether it's the Axis side right now or the Allied side another time, managing population imbalance is KEY to the game's success.[/quote']

Agreed. For me this is the number 1 issue - and is miles ahead of number 2.

Well as the allied side..........we are having a hell of a time getting Berry.............axis own S cp...........are dug in and keeping the bridge down...............we have a 17sec SD...........this is what i liked about the game................no magic boxes appear on the other side.........rivers and bridges mean something again.

I remember the 45 min. drunken Bedford runs to Wiltz to hump a radio. That was always a fun tactic, never knowing when a town 30miles behind the lines would be capped.

I agree with Canukplf, having terrain barriers/features mean something really adds to the dynamic of the game.

I am not against some form of balancing. However, any type of auto side balancing that forces people to play a side based on current pop is not, IMO, a good idea.

Some folks belong to squads that don't allow side switching.

Some folks simply only play one side.

Some folks belong to HC, which prohibits playing on the other side at all.

Imagine an HC officer trying to log on to replace another one who needs to log off, but not being able to do so.

I am probably in the minority here, but I would prefer campaign long side locks to momentary pop auto-balance.

I would, however think that a good idea for those who don't have side obligations would be some sort of positive reinforcement, such as double experience points for logging on to the underpopped side.

Edited by Quincannon

Perhaps the solution is to have players lock themselves in for the campaign. You could, eventually, have squads side lock themselves for the campaign making anyone in their squad locked for the duration. You could then have lone wolves select either side lock or side switch for the campaign. HC and squad lock would of course be ineligible to select side switch. You would end up with a majority side locked for the campaign with some limited side switching allowed. You would then have a good accurate picture of the playerbase's side loyalty and side switching composition.

Players that leave a squad during a campaign would still be side-locked for the campaign. Squads should have to chose one side or the other. They should not be able to select side switching at campaign beginning. Squads could even have a default side lock setting for all campaigns that they would have to change between campaigns if they want to play the other side as a squad.

Alternatively, you could allow side switching for the first week or two and then everyone becomes side locked on where they are at the end of the one to two weeks. Plenty of notification leading up to side-lock would be required. This gives payers that like to switch some time to play both sides but would prevent massive side switching near the end of campaigns. You could extend that time to beyond two weeks if that seems reasonable, I only use the one to two weeks to set the example.

This type of decision might be one eligible for a PB survey. You would want a solid majority on board with this type of change which directly affects access to the paid for content of the game.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0