Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Sign in to follow this  
saronin

Perceived Equipment Imbalances

Capco
Seems the game needs more people like me' date=' a WBS. In game, on TS, and paying. So deal with my 2 cents. I deal with yours.[/quote']

You are 100% right and I respect that. The last thing anyone wants is for people to unsub. Thank you!

Also, I did the same thing for years until I was told to shoot ATGs with AP not HE. Something about how the HE doesn't work when you hit the gun shield, but AP will cause the gun shield to spall or hit the crew directly after penetration. Just something to try for next time :)

agentroll.

Nice one.

I'm rather fond of it as well.

agentwade

Seems my low level trolling really got under your skin. But if it makes you feel better to call me a side biased troll when I've actively called for better fg42 sights, and when I've reported when axis ToE is missing things or lower than it should be, then so be it. Clearly I'm here to brag, it's why I depot snipe so much :rolleyes:. Hope you have fun in game

kchip

AP on ATG doesn't work IMHO and it would make sense that a HE round exploding on a ATG shield would disable/kill. I have AP'd of course, it generally is the round I have loaded. Its frustration. You pull the trigger and get the 1st hits but still get popped by the ATG.

As for side switching, the only way I see it happening is if the 91st ALL did it. That's the kind of wwiiol player I am. Ill follow my squad. They are why I'm still here. There are some guys that will never do it though so unlikely. Many of us support campaign side lock, count me in as a supporter of this idea.

Its just a game.

agentwade

Anything medium to short range you should absolutely use AP on, they'll blow through the gun shield on both sides every time. At longer ranges I personally switch over to HE and try to land next to them, but if you're in a Tiger or possibly 4g you should still be able to knock out ATGs with AP at long range, it happens to me quite often if I use an ATG.

jwilly
Overmatch...

Shattergap...

Spaced armor...

All could change the armor game quite significantly. Scotsman did a series of posts discussing this a few years back. Very interesting to say the least. It would be extraordinarily hard to actually calculate it properly.

Not hard from a code perspective. I believe Scotsman on several occasions has offered to help write code modules to do the above three calculations, all of which he understands very well because of his work.

The "hard" part would be modifying the game engine at its deepest level, the physics code, where these calculations would occur. In the past, CRS has shied away from that deepest-level code, I suspect from fear that it might contain timing-dependent functionality that might be inadvertently broken by any change, resulting in an unplanned and potentially large expense to rewrite the engine core. Perhaps that perception is wrong, though, or maybe Victaurus and the code team are confident they have a handle on it.

There are other things that need fixing as well:

Some HE fragmentation events were re-coded to improve realism, but others remain to be done. Scotsman has recently posted about this again.

Fragmentation and other lethality from the inside face of penetrated armor probably is under-modeled.

External fragmentation from HEAT device detonation is under-modeled.

It appears that the code may ascribe a fixed amount of damage energy to a HEAT jet, irrespective of how much energy is subtracted from that jet during penetration, thus resulting in too much lethality against other-than-thin armor.

Perhaps related, I believe Scotsman has posted in the past that he thinks the types of damage done by a HEAT jet are over-modeled.

And of course, all game bullets at present are AP instead of soft jacketed lead, which was entirely the normal WWII bullet type except in a few instances such as AT rifles and the BAR.

Sign in to follow this