Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbveteran

Community Poll - Removal of A.I.from the game?

75 posts in this topic

My first bad experience in this game

In one of my first missions, as I approach an enemy town I started to receive fire between trees and bushes.

I scanned the location and saw the fire coming from a tower, so I duck down for cover. Then carefully stood up and fire at the profile where the fire was coming down and it stopped firing at me.. I then proceed sprinting to take advantage of that breach on the defense only to be mowed down 3 secs later.

geometricAi_zps5cjaf5iu.jpg

Just think about it

I know it sometimes funny to see a bunch of paratroopers land in front of an AI Tower and be all killed.

Or a speeding truck/scout car become detrack by forgetting about that A.I. ATG.

But in the end A.I. pretty much only affects new players or annoy veterans who forgot to check the map for A.I. while adding unnecessary noise to battle and destroying content that otherwise would not be destroyed.

It also doesn't fit with this full PvP game or towards a more realistic playerbase.. especially how they look, shoot through cover, spot you everytime and can't be killed by bullets.

The only tangible use I perceive

For what I have experience and seen ingame the most effective use is on Friendly Airfields it prevents abuse from EA on, especially considering that player control AA's can be very inaccurate and are not enough to prevent fast flying bombers.

Still AA AI other than AF can destroy content as for example shot down paraplanes or give the impression that there is a player to bomb, except when you rtb you see no kills but are awarded 2 Points!..

People Laugh at this

I never invited many people to play this game but the ones I did chuckle and laugh at this concept.

How to vote:

Assign from 1 to 7 each of the letters, once a value is assign it can't be used in another letter.

a) Remove All AI

B) Remove AI except AA

c) Remove AI except A.I. - AA on AF

d) Remove both AI ATG and AI LMGs

e) Remove AI LMGs

f) Remove AI ATG

g) Don't Remove A.I.

Would you prefer to first test it on the live game but with an option to roll back?

(Yes, No, Indifferent)

Vote first then , add a comment if you wish to.

a) 5

B) 6

c) 7

d) 4

e) 3

f) 2

g) 1

Indifferent

--------------------------------

I know that the people who would not want this change are still forced to assign high values to the rest of the concept that they don't wish for.

You can give solutions but the option to have a roleback test would open for a future voting where this decision could be yes or no.

This is purely a test but vote as you would the more people vote the better.

Edited by pbveteran

Remove all lmg AI period.

It is the single worst feature in this game, and I don't care WHEN it is implemented.

Idiotic Terminator towers and MG nests.

Can't kill them without WALKING UP TO THEM AND DROPPING A GRENADE AT YOUR FEET, since throwing grenades is all messed up.

Ya, Ya... practice throwing blah blah...

Done it. I can throw a grenade pretty well, but when the stick nades hit the top of the tower, or the support timbers, they start bouncing end over end and fly away from the pit or tower.

The only way to get the AI down with 98% success is to run up, DROP a nade at your feet and run away.

It's SO frigging stupid.

@vasduten1

Couldn't you rate it them as I did? in the second post (so I could then do an average to see how many are for or agaisn't them, if it's all A.I or some A.I.

How about AI Atgs they are even more worthless.

I vote to keep all the ai. It doesnt bother me. Its better than nothing I think.

Also, I would like to more effective atg ai against armor. The atg ai is probably the weakest type of ai

Edited by krazydog

I want the AI to get more powerful through the tiers. Shermans in game should fear AI as much as a light tank. This requires coding so it's not a valid request at this time.

I also want PPO AI. Let the PB decide where it gets setup around town. Spice the game up a little since you never know where you will run into it. Also coding work for later.

AI is easy to get around once you learn it. No need to remove it. Pilots might have different issues though.

That said, I'd really like shore batteries toned down a bit for Navy play.

I want the AI to get more powerful through the tiers. Shermans in game should fear AI as much as a light tank. This requires coding so it's not a valid request at this time.

I also want PPO AI. Let the PB decide where it gets setup around town. Spice the game up a little since you never know where you will run into it. Also coding work for later.

AI is easy to get around once you learn it. No need to remove it. Pilots might have different issues though.

That said, I'd really like shore batteries toned down a bit for Navy play.

This is about the A.I. we currently have in game and their removal(it should be easier) do you really think it adds anything positive to the game?

More A.I would actually drive me away from this game... really hate A.I. in FPS PvP, I hate bots they are too stupid or cheat. Just annoy you and removes skill from the game. I think this goes against the core strength of the game.

(Every soldier/vehicle/plane you see is a player, you can see their reaction how they handle on battle and it's a reason you fear more for your life because they can think and out smart you)

Edited by pbveteran

This is about the A.I. we currently have in game and their removal(it should be easier) do you really think it adds anything positive to the game?

I do. They also add an ews component to the game. The recent change to non auto repairing AI was a good thing too. Complete removal is not needed but I'd like to be able to man a some shore batteries or airfield aa groups.

I do. They also add an ews component to the game. The recent change to non auto repairing AI was a good thing too. Complete removal is not needed but I'd like to be able to man a some shore batteries or airfield aa groups.

But is it positive how? if it kills players without skill.. ignoring tactics like using cover and camo?

Shooting town paraplanes who are flying low with no audio and not visible for anyone else that gather 30 players for amazing drop?...

How can this game have a simulation tag with this so unrealistic feature?

EWS is not A.I. ... A big reason for me why we don't need A.I. is EWS

learn to read the map !!!

every AI is visible on map and even where it is facing to

Then it is useless and needs to be removed.

What would the soft cap crowd fight if we removed AI? Sudden has it right imho.

paragraph G, keep AI. No need to rank the rest.

No offense, Pbveteran, but the problem with the 1-7 choices is that I don't want to see AI removed. the other choices are just giving credence to removing part of the AI. If i don't want them removed at all, voting 1-7 gives 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2 to options that I don't want any more than I want option 1.

I have played all manner of WWII FPS games. I have really enjoyed all of them for the most part, except H&G, and that's because of how their system penalizes lower skill players. I have played in games that have good and bad AI. I have found that good AI can actually enhance the experience, in my opinion.

I personally feel that AI could help our experience, especially when our population is low. Some people have argued for town supply for softcaps, which role AI could fill. You have mentioned that AA AI can help protect airfields when we don't have enough players to devote to protecting them.

I play this for my WWII fix, NOT for my PVP fix. I could get that playing any number of other games. To me, an electronic enemy is an electronic enemy, whether it is controlled by a person or not. TBH this is the ONLY PVP game I have willingly played outside of BF1942 and FH2, both of which were good WWII games. In any other genre, I could care less about PVP.

One new player awhile back mentioned that one of their first experiences playing was highlighted by the discovery of an AI position, even though they couldn't kill it with their rifle, because of lowpop. If we had more AI (that they COULD kill), they might have had more fun.

I have sometimes felt that if we had AI during times when our pop was seriously imbalanced, it would make things better. Instead of people feeling that they have to leave their preferred side or squads, AI bots would fill in. I know it won't happen, of course, but it would be one possible solution.

I'm not arguing for more AI, but the current number bolsters our current population. It also adds AA for bombers to deal with, and actual machine guns, which players do not have access to currently. I think our current AI could use a few tweaks. It seems like they were never programmed with a miss percentage, or if they were, the chance is too low. In addition, it should be possible to knock out the gunner by shooting him.

I know my outlook is in the minority, but I think AI serves an important role.

!S

1 person likes this

I personally feel that AI could help our experience, especially when our population is low. Some people have argued for town supply for softcaps, which role AI could fill. .

LoL omg softcap that's worst than a ****ty singleplayer game a stain to this game.

Do you guys seriously thing the game should go towards soft capping gameplay?

If you get shot by AI that's your own fault. Keep it in game

? So why have it , if it's just there to annoy you..

No offense, Pbveteran, but the problem with the 1-7 choices is that I don't want to see AI removed. the other choices are just giving credence to removing part of the AI. If i don't want them removed at all, voting 1-7 gives 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2 to options that I don't want any more than I want option 1.

Yes I already stated that on the 2nd post on this thread, purpose was to have enough ranked votes to see what would be result but I already give up on the vote, asking players to follow a set of rules to post in a thread is as useless as asking players to follow a path or a set of orders ingame.

(This maybe proofs that unless we have ingame tool and features for teamwork, asking for teamwork will never trully work)

I have sometimes felt that if we had AI during times when our pop was seriously imbalanced, it would make things better. Instead of people feeling that they have to leave their preferred side or squads, AI bots would fill in.

It also adds AA for bombers to deal with, and actual machine guns, which players do not have access to currently.

I know my outlook is in the minority, but I think AI serves an important role.

1 - Give me an example why it helps now underpop?

I never seen it or felt it help me in any instance for 10 years because it's easily destroyed and avoided. Plus It cheats, is unrealistic going agaisn't the core strengths of WW2ol plus it looks ugly and can't be killed by a bullet to the head..

It's ok to be agaisn't something but if you don't say why we concrete reasons you aren't really supporting it.

One new player awhile back mentioned that one of their first experiences playing was highlighted by the discovery of an AI position, even though they couldn't kill it with their rifle, because of lowpop. If we had more AI (that they COULD kill), they might have had more fun.

That doesn't sound as a positive experience. Adding more Bots means loosing on of the best things in game is that seeing a group of 30 infantry and 10 tanks with 5 planes flying a head are all players generating that content which are capable to surprise you, think, use skill agaisn't you.

You have mentioned that AA AI can help protect airfields when we don't have enough players to devote to protecting them

No I said AA is there because players using any AA won't be able to defend to the extend of making not viable to spawn camp an airfield. If you take BF 2 for example you have AA's that are miniguns with stinger missiles so it's much easier to shoot down fast aircraft.

On ww2ol something to that extend is impossible and unrealistic the closer would be Proximity fuze AA amunnition.

I asked this change cuz it requires very few efforts from the dev team to implement and this would be a good time to test it before steam release.

I play this for my WWII fix, NOT for my PVP fix. I could get that playing any number of other games. To me, an electronic enemy is an electronic enemy, whether it is controlled by a person or not.

2 - What is this WWII Fix you mention..?(You mean if this was a singleplayer only game, it would be as good for you?)

3 - Have you ever played and compared BF 1942 on singleplayer with only bots and online just with players?(BF 1942 or the battlefield series it's just a good game because of players not bots.. everyone reckons that)

Edited by pbveteran

Pbveteran, you're welcome to voice your opinions but not at the expense of being inconsiderate to our other players.

Screw AIs and AI lovers.

Wow Lob12! Really? Is that the kind of community we are going to be now? If someone disagress with us, we just insult them and say to heck with them altogether?

I have always thought you better than that. I always thought our community was better than that.

You're a fantastic player and a valued member of the community Lob12. I haven't always agreed with you but I have always respected you. You're often a voice of reason. But not this time.

Look, this is a neat thread, like most, because we can voice our opinions. Opinions.

CRS has never stated anything to the effect that they intend to add more AI. No one thinks that they intend to do so. Certainly not me. I am not asking them to. I haven't heard anyone do that with any seriousness, except for the rare requests for artillery support AI.

Do you know what the greatest thing about this game is, Lob12? It's YOU. It's StankyUS. It's VonDouche. It's Igor and JVR and Katonka and WillyT and Gophur and XOOM andthe list goes onandonandon. It's the people. It's all of these wild wonderful crazy people who love to play the best World War II game out there. NOT the best PVP game out there, but the best World War II game out there.

And all of those people have different ideas of what makes the game great, and what they want to see happen. And we grouse and we grumble and we agree and we disagree. But in the middle of all that... we actually LISTEN to each other's ideas and opinions. No one person will ever be all right. Everybody will be wrong. But we will all , hopefully, take the best ideas and give them to CRS, who will listen to us and try to work in what they can.

I waited a decade to play this game. I knew it existed, and thought the webpage seemed neat, but becase of something I misread, I never subscribed. My loss. But during that time I played other WWII games because they were my favorite genre. The very best times I had were playing BF2 FH2 with my best friend in online co-op mode with bots and people. The map was always full of opponents and sides were even, even if people had better skill.

But in the end I came here because this game is not just a string of endless matches with no consequence. Here your battles matter because they are part of something bigger. Here, you can actually get promoted. Here you can become an Officer and help make a difference. Here you can play a support role and make a difference. In this game you can get an award for your best team effort, not just for the number of kills you get. My only real regret is that my best friend won't play with me.

This game is fantastic. This community is fantastic. We don't all agree on things like AI, but if we discuss them sometimes we come to compromises. Why does everything have to be all or nothing? AI, FRUs, FBs, MSPs, climbing trees... They are all aspects of this game that people argue over. But in general, we have learned to try respectfully disagree with each other.

Oh and the other best part of this game? It supports almost every type of gameplay. Mo likes his 88s. Bar loves his SMGs. Delems loves Navy. Capco and CSM308 are in the air. Bloodybill is the best FB buster I know, hands down. Me? I'm an engineer. A Navy engineer, but an engineer. I like repairing things and I really like blowing em up. AI is an important part of that. Heck, one of my favorite memories in this game happened because there was AI. If I'm in a town, one of my favorite things to do is repair the AI, because that can help defend the town I'm in more than I could as a rifleman. Don't just say "play better". I know my abilities after all these years. I just have a different skillset. Does that make me a worse player than you? I used to think so. But some really good players told me that I'm just a different kind of player, and that in my own way, I may actually be a good player, regardless of stats.

So, with apologies to pbveteran for not following his voting standard correctly, I'm just going to say that I respect the opinions of everyone on the forum and in the community on this or any other issue. And Lob12? If you want to say "screw me" because I don't hate AI, go ahead. But pardon me if I don't return the favor. I'm going to listen to what you have to say because someday you might have an idea that revolutionizes our game, and I'd hate to miss it because I stopped listening to you over a difference of opinion.

!S Everybody!

Edited by Quincannon

Wow Lob12! Really? Is that the kind of community we are going to be now? If someone disagress with us . . .

. . . difference of opinion.

!S Everybody!

I am james10 and I support this.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0