• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbopper

Rifle sway

9 posts in this topic

It seem's to be a bit overdone actually a lot overdone. I would think a soldier could hold his rifle steadier especially prone or crouched. The sway starts way to soon and is overly exaggerated. IMO

Video games almost always are too precise and way oversimplified. It's vastly too easy to get kills. Real fighting is harder for a multitude of reasons.

Historically, CRS made a number of efforts to model difficulties.

Some of them are overdone because there never were the resources to model more such issues, each at a realistically lesser level. If the few that are modeled weren't overstated, they'd have no effect and the complexity/difficulty design goal wouldn't be achieved.

In RL, holding a bolt action army rifle still takes a lot of practice and can only be done under short periods measured in seconds not minutes.

They are heavy, around 4 kg / 8-9 lbs.

I think this aspect is brilliantly modeled, except sniper witch is steady under far to long time compared to RL, but works fine in game imo.

It's probably pretty close especially after running for 10 minutes unless the rifle is braced against something.

In RL, holding a bolt action army rifle still takes a lot of practice and can only be done under short periods measured in seconds not minutes.

They are heavy, around 4 kg / 8-9 lbs.

I think this aspect is brilliantly modeled, except sniper witch is steady under far to long time compared to RL, but works fine in game imo.

If you wrap the sling properly, on your upper arm, and use the tension to support the weight, you can steady a rifle for a relatively long time. We learned that in training with the M14 (aka the M21 (and now the M25) sniper rifle).

-Irish

Personally I think the sway has the desired effect although I would also say that overall shooting a rifle in game is more accurate than it would have been by the average trained soldier in WWII.

Shooting under combat conditions, especially from the kneeling, sitting and standing positions is a lot harder than most would give it credit for. It is not like being at a target range.

Using a sling can hep but a human body is not a vice and there is always some movement.

Personally I think the sway has the desired effect although I would also say that overall shooting a rifle in game is more accurate than it would have been by the average trained soldier in WWII.

Not at all. It's apples and oranges. Moving a mouse is detached from the body, but you learn to use a rifle as if it's an extension of your body. I can't say this for everyone, but hitting targets in RL is a LOT easier than ingame.

Shooting under combat conditions, especially from the kneeling, sitting and standing positions is a lot harder than most would give it credit for. It is not like being at a target range.

Once you learn the techniques, it's really not that difficult. It becomes muscle memory. Play paintball. See how much you improve after the first few times.

Using a sling can hep but a human body is not a vice and there is always some movement.

You would be surprised how little there is. Ingame, I feel as if my avatar is gasping for breath as I'm trying to scan for enemies while sighting down the rifle. :)

-Irish

I am a reasonably good shot and will put virtually every round in a target the size of a man's heart at 100m from the prone unsupported position with the standard service rifle used by my army.

However there is a world of difference between shooting on a range and shooting under combat conditions. Conditions that include fear, fatigue, uneven/loose/slippery surfaces, rain, dirt, wearing combat gear, etc. There is also a lot of difference between a modern military firearm and a WWII era military firearm.

My take is that hitting targets in real life may be easier than in WWIIOL (especially at close ranges), HOWEVER hitting targets under battlefield conditions in real life is almost certainly harder in real life than in WWIIOL.

Somehow a PC game needs to replicate these effects in a game where you point a mouse curser (ie rifle sights) over a target. Personally I think the sway does a reasonable job of that even though it does not fully replicate how the weapon works. Of course that is just a personal opinion.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0