Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XOOM

ZOC Tips & Rocroi Example

16 posts in this topic

Tonight I logged in with three accounts and challenged myself to establish a Zone of Control. I played Axis and helped maneuver forces over from a town that was an amazing battle but we couldn't hold. It seemed to work because we had about a 2 hour long engagement that turned out to be a phenomenal battle at Rocroi.

Anyhow with these three engineers I was able to deploy 21 gun emplacements in the final half hour (albeit a bit late). I was running between them because that resets the timer so they stay up. Let's just say it was a lot of multitasking.

Did I mention when I started the battle with HC I was using two accounts, one to deploy FRU's via truck and to have it on standby in case it got taken out, and the other account was a halftrack towing heavy guns to support that area?

Here's what that zone of control looked like from the Buzzard cam after the Allies started to take over the area.

View is of north to south (bottom of the screen is north).

rocroi-zoc-8jan2016.png

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SUCCESSFUL ZOC

• Get a squad dedicated to keeping it alive (3-5 engineers will do it).
  • Set the ZOC early, perhaps on the first truck that goes to town.
  • If you can tow ATG's with that first truck, even better, chances of survival is much higher.
  • Re-enforce with more FRU's, people, assets, and fortifications - DO NOT STOP.
  • Get a battle commander that understands communication and uses in-game text comms to rally people.

Once you have these basic things set up, great battles will ensue. It's not that hard, but it will require a bit of leg work and a team effort. By doing this above ZOC, the Allies were a bit more reserved from moving forward and their line of sight was actually blocked quite a bit.

Since the gun emplacements can absorb infinite damage, it allows your units (especially infantry) to bound forward to begin securing territory.

Who ever does this more effectively will be the decisive winner. If you can manage to secure enemy gun emplacements and push them out of their ZOC, you can actually use their ZOC / gun emplacements to YOUR advantage.

Since our goal is to introduce longer duration PPO life timers, I think we'll see even more of these objects on the map than we ever have, which will be fascinating to see in actual practice. This change will be coming in the near future.

Invest into your team's success, the zone of control is fundamental to the battle. Do your part and try it out, learn how to make it work and teach others around you.

Good luck, S!

Edited by XOOM

Nice idea.

Get a squad of 5 early on an attack.

Deploy in a field, build like 15 ATG pits (too bad the refresh timer is so long)

Sure the enemy knows you come from that direction. However it will be much more difficult for them to knock you out from distance. Also you could potentially turn an open field into a "normal attack direction". Key will be to not attack from this side only, but that counts for ANY attack.

.... able to deploy 21 gun emplacements.....

A lot of these objects will not harm / increase the LAG in the area?

..or is indifferent?

S!

A lot of these objects will not harm / increase the LAG in the area?

..or is indifferent?

S!

Didn't experience any lag with them deployed.

So the advice is to build twenty or so gun emplacements and keep one squaddie sitting in a truck waiting for the fru to go down?

I tried building a bunch of these emplacements for an AO to Berry a few days ago and it took me a long time just to make five, because the CD timers are long.

The squad needed me elsewhere, so I left the fru and mission with someone else, (blue tag,) and went on the para drop. After we all died, I came back to the old ZOC and the gun emplacements were all gone. (maybe a half hour later,)

How long do they stay up after you walk away or leave the mission? If you get disconnected or have to log, will people who are using them for cover just get left in the open as they disappear?

I can't imagine just building those for an hour or more while ETs roll out and have their way, just for an AO to die any way.

Maybe the gun emplacements need to be revised?

So the advice is to build twenty or so gun emplacements and keep one squaddie sitting in a truck waiting for the fru to go down?

I tried building a bunch of these emplacements for an AO to Berry a few days ago and it took me a long time just to make five, because the CD timers are long.

The squad needed me elsewhere, so I left the fru and mission with someone else, (blue tag,) and went on the para drop. After we all died, I came back to the old ZOC and the gun emplacements were all gone. (maybe a half hour later,)

How long do they stay up after you walk away or leave the mission? If you get disconnected or have to log, will people who are using them for cover just get left in the open as they disappear?

I can't imagine just building those for an hour or more while ETs roll out and have their way, just for an AO to die any way.

Maybe the gun emplacements need to be revised?

1) The advice is you guys need to get a team investment and do what is necessary to win the battle. It requires more than just pulling a trigger.

2) You need #1 to be a dedicated effort, as the mission leader and someone experienced in the game, you need to dig in and hold the line. When you leave (or who ever is organizing the situation), things will fall apart, always has always will unless you have an incredibly competent replacement who has had time to gain situational awareness.

3) I think it's about 8 minutes for the lifetime. As we have indicated in our Friday update yesterday, we will be increasing that time to 30 minutes per PPO which will help out a lot.

4) ET's will not have their way if there are anti-tank infantryman and more importantly, ATG's at the ready. I say more importantly because they are harder to see, pack a bigger punch, hold more ammunition and are generally quiet.

Oh and more regarding #3, in your mission orders you can tell people (infantry) to run into them to help you reset the timers. I did that last night and it seemed to help out quite a bit after the ZOC was properly established.

If you have a squad dedicated to holding / repairing / adding the ZOC and re-supplying it with supporting elements (like ATG's) your chances of success are much higher.

Let the lonewolf's / non-squaddies go ZERG it out, but someone has to do the hard work. And it doesn't have to be boring and it certainly is worth the effort. Get on teamspeak and work together, this is the logistical aspect of the game and really opens up a whole new part of WWII Online.

Was a fun fight in Rocroi when you were defending it.

You killed me while I was happily shooting the people on the other side of the overpass.

Came back with the idea of knifing you, but I saw you shoot in the depot just as I got out of it, you noticed me just as I was changing back to my Garand and I shot you just before you shot me again I think haha.

Funny stuff.

I hope the axis are appreciating the energy you're putting in for them Xoom.

Great example.

But if you keep building like this, we'll have to change your in game callsign to 'Beaver'.

:D:D:D:D

@XOOM

That looks like WW1 not WW2, nothing will beat flooding side chat with a 300m FRU asking for Infantry to support tanks infront and rush CP.

Or probing the enemy town from various directions to see which side is less defended or favors more the attackers.

Or setting a FRU to kill tank campers oblivious to there surroundings with their commander inside and no Friendly Infantry noway near them.

I think the biggest groups of infantry I saw were post FRUs and even since 2005 it was uncommon to see as often and as large groups of infantry to those that I see with infantry placed FRUs.

Wanna I want to see is pictures with more infantry than tanks, with tanks evenly distributed but with infantry grouped.

Oh and more regarding #3, in your mission orders you can tell people (infantry) to run into them to help you reset the timers. I did that last night and it seemed to help out quite a bit after the ZOC was properly established.

If you have a squad dedicated to holding / repairing / adding the ZOC and re-supplying it with supporting elements (like ATG's) your chances of success are much higher.

Let the lonewolf's / non-squaddies go ZERG it out, but someone has to do the hard work. And it doesn't have to be boring and it certainly is worth the effort. Get on teamspeak and work together, this is the logistical aspect of the game and really opens up a whole new part of WWII Online.

Increasing the timers will help dramatically.

I know the value of teamwork; been playing on squads since the beginning.

It takes forever to build this if you are the only one building.

Can't even run back to the fru and despawn.. you HAVE to wait out the timer.

1) The advice is you guys need to get a team investment and do what is necessary to win the battle. It requires more than just pulling a trigger.

2) You need #1 to be a dedicated effort, as the mission leader and someone experienced in the game, you need to dig in and hold the line. When you leave (or who ever is organizing the situation), things will fall apart, always has always will unless you have an incredibly competent replacement who has had time to gain situational awareness.

3) I think it's about 8 minutes for the lifetime. As we have indicated in our Friday update yesterday, we will be increasing that time to 30 minutes per PPO which will help out a lot.

4) ET's will not have their way if there are anti-tank infantryman and more importantly, ATG's at the ready. I say more importantly because they are harder to see, pack a bigger punch, hold more ammunition and are generally quiet.

Teamwork! Sounds Good...Now modify the UI to make this happen in game.

Give us the map tools and a briefing /spawn room where teams can assemble to plan and equip themselves with the necessary load-outs to operate as a team.

This takes no time at all, spam engineers needed, get a few guys out of the frus that are protected with armor/atg and you have yourself a zoc. Not to this scale, but a decent zoc will take 5/6 players to set up and get others involved at that point and you have a difficult position to take. If that fails move it and reset. Or *****, log off and lose towns.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0