Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vasduten1

CRS: We Need a Fix for This

72 posts in this topic

Xoom,

Maybe we should seriously consider letting the Reserve AHC/GHC members make moves, etc, in the absence of AHC/GHC. If the reserve member has been to AHC/GHC training school, then they would be qualified and trained in making moves, determining attack priorities, etc. Let's think about giving them the ability to make moves, determine priorities, etc in the absence of AHC/GHC being online.

Just a thought.

The current vetting system is one of the main reasons why we lack HC.

Please elaborate.

When I was in HC I got minimal training and was sent to "go help". We were losing badly, so they didn't mind giving me map OIC.

Really though, who wants to do all of the training and put in a part-time JOB to play a game online?!?!?

Not enough people are crazy enough to want this. We need to get rid of it.

Xoom,

Maybe we should seriously consider letting the Reserve AHC/GHC members make moves, etc, in the absence of AHC/GHC. If the reserve member has been to AHC/GHC training school, then they would be qualified and trained in making moves, determining attack priorities, etc. Let's think about giving them the ability to make moves, determine priorities, etc in the absence of AHC/GHC being online.

Just a thought.

This was the whole point of the reserve HC programme - i.e. - that the reserve HC would 'step up' when no regular HC were there to move flags, set AOs, etc.

The reality - at least on the Allied side - is that most reserve HC function as full HC (except that they don't want to move up the OrBat) and, in many of the AHC reserves are the most active officers in AHC.

This was the whole point of the reserve HC programme - i.e. - that the reserve HC would 'step up' when no regular HC were there to move flags, set AOs, etc.

The reality - at least on the Allied side - is that most reserve HC function as full HC (except that they don't want to move up the OrBat) and, in many of the AHC reserves are the most active officers in AHC.

Yet another good reason to remove the HC system.

Nobody knows what they're doing, doesn't WANT to do this work and the game play DEPENDS on this?!?

Come ON!

29506348.jpg

Xoom,

Just a thought.

That was the whole point of the reserve program, and is what happens on the allied side.

Reserve HCs are just like regular HCs in reality, the difference is just on paper.

Some of our most active HCs are reserve atm in AHC.

The point is just to have a pool of veteran (not mandatory, but it helps imo) players willing to do the HC job when they are online, but who dont want to necessarily go up the ranks or assume administrative responsibilities.

The only difference between regular HCs and reserve HCs is that its more "accepted" when you say something like "I dont feel like doing the MOIC right now" when there are other HCs, especially active/regular HCs.

The playerbase wont know the difference and will see your name in .hc, unless you .hcoff but then whats the point, and will assume that youre a regular HC.

People whining against the HC system have some valid points. But in the end, pragmatism must win the day. HC is a vital function of the game as it is now. You need people in HC, period. Preferably people who know their stuff.

While we await much needed changes, its up to the veterans on both sides to rise up to the task and man the posts.

I know its easier said than done, I know it may sounds douchy since we are "winning" now, but the truth isnt always pleasant to hear. More than a year ago, I was faced with more or less the same challenges than you and, after years of saying that I would never join HC, I chose to give it a try. I dont regret it since, even though sometimes its very challenging and even sometimes frustrating.

Edited by Lob12

The current vetting system is one of the main reasons why we lack HC.

From what I've seen it's pretty simple:

if no sorties on the other side recently= good to go

it's not like they process for above top secret clearances

From what I've seen it's pretty simple:

if no sorties on the other side recently= good to go

it's not like they process for above top secret clearances

I think he's talking about how other HCs, any HC, can veto your stuff.

Because having to talk to others before, lets say, dropping a softcap AO on Breda is too much to ask.

Then spilt HC into equal groups and at least make THAT balanced.

It's one thing to be underpop, another to have nobody to move supply or direct fighting.

Then spilt HC into equal groups and at least make THAT balanced.

It's one thing to be underpop, another to have nobody to move supply or direct fighting.

I have no desire to HC for the axis side at the moment.

You can't force AHC guys to do that lol. I'm paying for this game too..

We ain't no mercenaries.

You guys have to find the commitment to sign up. Simple's as that.

Don't expect others to fix you own problems...

I know it sucks but its like that. AHC has a lot of numbers atm, well more than axis anyways, because, for the last year or so, we put a lot of emphasis on recruiting people in the HC, especially the reserve. Doesn't mean all the people in the orbat are super-active or often take MOIC btw...

Some people will switch around between maps, and thats fine. But don't expect HC players, who are usually among the most side-loyal people on any given side, to drop everything mid-map to save the other side... Its not their job.

I know you probably don't care, but don't forget you guys started this map with a massive 2 weeks-long overpop. I was forced to do the initial deployment, and I'm not even regular HC.

Numbers fluctuate a lot in this game. Depending on the season, on who's winning, on the current tier etc Its part of the game to a point. Can't expect HC members to jump around from side to side according to who's currently overpop'd. Its not realistic.

What we need is more people with GM powers who can step up during the times where there are often no HCs online imo. Much more do-able than force people to change side.

I know CRS is very reluctant at doing moves because they don't want to be perceived as helping a side at any given time etc. Imho this mentality needs to change a bit.

If there are no HCs online and an obvious move needs to be done (I.E. moving back 1 town to prevent being cut off); do it. Who will honestly whine? People who care about this game will/should understand. Just need a couple of trusted vets who could do this on each side, for each Time zone.

Edited by Lob12

Xoom,

Just a thought.

Wait, reserve HC don't have those tools? I agree with this post 100%

Brigade movement is a great part of this game. We need more people with the tools to move brigades. I would rather see a move been questioned than no move at all.

Wait, reserve HC don't have those tools? I agree with this post 100%

Brigade movement is a great part of this game. We need more people with the tools to move brigades. I would rather see a move been questioned than no move at all.

reserve HC do have tools

Then why the post from Kizmet?

He's confused.

I'm HC reserve, even though I'm a 2 star general in the French army.

I have all the tools.

The problem is as I described it : nothing differentiates me, in game, from a regular HC. The difference is on paper.

So people who join the reserve, in the end, will be seen as regular HCs by the players. You better be ready to step up... unless you .hcoff all the time but then, like I said, whats the point?

Edited by Lob12

lol' date=' HC can turn themselves off?[/quote']

Yep.

We are players and sometimes its normal that X HC doesn't feel like doing "its job" during Y moment.

But, to be honest, theres kind of a stigma that goes with it and very few use the .hcoff command.

Reserve HCs are as Lob says full HC

But they gave an understanding that in return for a reduced role (ie they go .hcoff, don't do any out of game reports etc) they are not eligible for the CinC promotion career track

Edited by Silky

He's confused.

I'm HC reserve, even though I'm a 2 star general in the French army.

I have all the tools.

The problem is as I described it : nothing differentiates me, in game, from a regular HC. The difference is on paper.

So people who join the reserve, in the end, will be seen as regular HCs by the players. You better be ready to step up... unless you .hcoff all the time but then, like I said, whats the point?

This was a key component of the program we hoped would be acted upon shortly after successful testing. That was years ago.

Another part of the original impetus for this was the squad liaison program, the idea being that we should have squad members and/or leaders in HC act as liaisons for their squads, for closer relations comms and operations.

I would greatly like that sort of identifier to show up in the .hclist and the game name, maybe L for liaison and RO for reserve officer in the rank slot.

And as what you are doing, the main thing you can do that you can't as non-HC is managing brigade moves, AOs, etc.

You can lead attacks and defenses either in HC or out, but sometimes you can be more effective if you are 'in the loop' or develop map vision and know where the hot spots are, or are going to be.

As MOIC or the comms/XO officer you are prioritizing where effort should be, attack or defense, which one, asking for teams to blow specific FBs or prep for an upcoming attack, etc. etc.

I also think it is very important to be talking to the players in general so they know what you are thinking, that there is method to the madness and someone at the helm that knows what they are doing. VERY key to getting people to stick around that extra hour or three, as opposed to feeling their time is wasted and logging.

Maybe even crack a few jokes, or respond promptly to supply concerns.

I call this aspect of the job being 'party hosts to war'- making sure everybody has drinks, snacks, weapons and a place to use them, while keeping a relaxed and/or serious business of winning attitude going so an otherwise frustrating game can stay fun.

Many effective multitasking HC can run an AO/DO or blow an FB while MOIC, hopefully in most cases there will be others running the map and you can concentrate on some major ingame tasks.

I have no desire to HC for the axis side at the moment.

You can't force AHC guys to do that lol. I'm paying for this game too..

We ain't no mercenaries.

You guys have to find the commitment to sign up. Simple's as that.

Don't expect others to fix you own problems...

I know it sucks but its like that.

Nobody WANTS to sign up. Being HC sucks and is a JOB that nobody wants. It also adds layers of bullsheet to the game, like "liasons to squads". F that noise.

This is a game, supposed to be for fun. the vast majority of players are NOT HC, and don't want to be Hc in the first place.

If forcing some kind of balance on this game is asking for someone else to fix "MY" problems, then fine.

To sit there and suggest we all just suck this ding dong that is ALL the result of having a HC structure in place is ludicrous. I'm here to play a game online, not take on a second job moving flags around and ****.

All I was saying was that since people play as HC, and already suck it for the sake of the game, then they SURELY see the value in spending time evening out the other side.

Why NOT?

Oh, because you are "Allied ONLY"? hahaha don't make me laugh.

It's a game.

A game that is unbalanced and making people leave.

Figures you'd be the one to offer the most resistance to this idea.

What did I expect?

Can a mod close this thread now?

Nobody WANTS to sign up. Being HC sucks and is a JOB that nobody wants. It also adds layers of bullsheet to the game, like "liasons to squads". F that noise.

This is a game, supposed to be for fun. the vast majority of players are NOT HC, and don't want to be Hc in the first place.

If forcing some kind of balance on this game is asking for someone else to fix "MY" problems, then fine.

To sit there and suggest we all just suck this ding dong that is ALL the result of having a HC structure in place is ludicrous. I'm here to play a game online, not take on a second job moving flags around and ****.

All I was saying was that since people play as HC, and already suck it for the sake of the game, then they SURELY see the value in spending time evening out the other side.

Why NOT?

Oh, because you are "Allied ONLY"? hahaha don't make me laugh.

It's a game.

A game that is unbalanced and making people leave.

Figures you'd be the one to offer the most resistance to this idea.

What did I expect?

Can a mod close this thread now?

Just take a break and think 2 seconds about how you would react if I was like "OMG teh axis are rolling us! quick quick send us half your HC to save us!" Didnt see you give a **** when you were at +20% TOM lol.

Comon vas...

Im not allied only, Im lt-col on the axis side. Im not closed to the idea of playing axis again (especially if things keep going badly for you guys in the medium-term, but I know it wont, you guys are not nearly as underpop than we were during the first 2 weeks of the map), but I never switch mid-map. Never, ever. I put so much time in that comeback, Im not gonna go play against myself. Being HC has nothing to do with it, though its the same logic.

When I say you guys need to step up, Im not saying that you suck. Im just being pragmatic. You cant expect to win if you don't match the other side's commitment. Simple's as that.

And I'm the one being resistant right now because not many seem to read this forum lol. I'm sure the majority of GHC would agree with me. There are so many things wrong in this idea. First of all, you can't force someone to change side, you just can't. I would leave HC long before that. Secondly, most HC people are also squad officers. You ain't gonna be able to force them to play against their own guys, ever. Finally, to be an efficient HC, you need the playerbase's recognition. Just imagine the fuzz of having me in GHC rofl. Comon...

You can keep arguing against HC if you want. You have some solid points, like others who dislike the system. But by discouraging people to join (maybe not you, but bronco clearly did lol), you're not really helping your side. CRS agrees that the system needs big changes, but thats gonna take a lot of time...

In the meantime, you're stuck with it.

I do want to underline the fact that I do feel some sympathy for you guys. Believe me when I say that. Im actually playing much less since we took back Brusself and Antwerp.

Edited by Lob12

Why NOT?

a) Liaisons to squads is probably the best use of the HC. As a squad leader I've pushed players within my squad (and I myself have been) to the HC so that whatever the plan that was being orchestrated would be clearly and timely communicated to my squad. IMO this is THE best use of the HC for squads as it allows for a common planning ground where individual squad missions can be assigned. At the very least having reps from multiple squads on blue text allows for closer coordination of efforts. Any active squad without at least one person in the HC channel is potentially missing out on early AO info (pre-placement/equipment spawning/targeting).

B) Forcing people to swap over due to no HC would be a bad Idea. I personally would not have bothered to do squat but logout if I (on my last run through HC) had logged into game

and been forced to run the opposite side. Or I would have followed the example of an HC officer of long ago, login and pull everything on the other side to the training grounds (which is why CRS had to code side-based permissions).

c) Having players swap side is already a dicey issue. For an example look how players who are known to be allied or axis are reacted to when they change over now. It's not always pretty, and it's the reason that I only stayed german 1 map after I retired as allied CINC. Now picture the reaction when a well known Allied Player goes german, makes a map move that looks good, but ends up bad....... hint - it won't be pretty.

Hello All.

I have served 2 terms as Axis HC. My first term I ended as 3.PD Divisional CO, while my second term I rose to the rank of Armeekorps 6 CO. As I didn’t really want to move higher I requested to be placed as a 33.ID KG.2 CO. After which I allowed my subscription to laps.

I stepped up for similar reasons as Lob12 did. I would log on and there would be No active HC on so I joined up. When I first joined up there was no “Reserve” option, this was added after.

One of the several “different” features of Battleground Europe is the conduct of any Campaign is essentially controlled by the players. Remove that and you remove yet another “point of difference” between Battleground Europe and the other similar games available. This, I feel, would be a very poor choice indeed.

The biggest issue for Battleground Europe is when a side, either side, starts to lose the respective sides HC no longer logs on. This is unfortunate but that is human nature.

What to do? Well first up we should define the problem.

Problem: When there are “No Active” High Command Players on, there is no current way to support the games required functionality. Please note this includes logged on High Command Players that are “AFK”. Essentially there is no one at the controls for whatever reason.

If there are “Active” High Command Players on, this is no longer an issue.

Some Solutions:

Help recruit and keep High Command Players:

Give ALL High Command Players (Full and Reserve) performance passed “perks”. Someone suggested a free towing account. That would work for me. The performance requirements would be logging in (minimum of 1 recorded login [or several totalling at least 1 hour] per 24 hour period - “day”) and being active (map moves, AO placements, spawning in for a defined period) for a set number of days per week. The towing account would remain active only if the performance requirements were met. For Hero Builders who were also High Command Players, other “perks” would have to be created.

Make being a High Command Player fun and rewarding: This one is a little trickier. I do have some ideas but they are out of the preview of this topic and are more of a quantum shift in strategic game play.

When there are “No Active” High Command Players on:

Allow any player to propose a “High Command Activity”.

High Command Activities include:

• Place an AO.
  • Remove an AO.
  • Place a Bridge AO.
  • Remove a Bridge AO.
  • Move a unit.

During a “voting period” (5 minutes) any player may approve the suggestion, only once per player though. If at the conclusion of the voting period, the proposed High Command Activity is approved by sufficient numbers of players (5 or more, pick a number really, keeping in mind the then current population) the High Command Activity is initiated by the System. Note; players may only approve an action. During the voting period the proposing player only, may withdraw the proposal.

The “propose a High Command Activity process” is cancelled when a High Command Player enters the respective sides High Command chat.

A considered alteration would be to exclude “F2P” and “Green Tags” either completely (cannot propose or approve) or partially (cannot propose) from being able to participate.

Why exclude “F2P” and “Green Tags”?

Well for F2P, this would be another incentive to subscribe.

For Green Tags, I would suggest they could be manipulated easily as they most likely do not have sufficient experience in game mechanics to make an informed decision.

The above methodology would remove the problematic issue of “No Active” High Command Players logged on and allow for the continuation of the Player controlled Campaigns. It would also have the benefit of the actions proposed being required to be approved by the current player base before being performed. This will reduce the probability of the methodology suggested being exploited adversely.

The suggested methodology would be slower than having an actual HC completing the tasks but if anyone wants to speed it up, they quiet welcome join High Command or the Reservist program.

Additionally, from a UI point of view, it would require an interface similar to the current "HC Tools" being made available to the "General Player Base" for the times there are “No Active” High Command Players logged on.

Cheers

James10

Edited by james10

Well, I can appreciate these point of view.

I was merely trying to suggest ANY way to balance out the HC disparity.

I'm not discouraging others to join HC. I just disagree with having the broken ToEs system in place and an HC system that depends on a big time commitment on the part of the players who join. It's why I'd never join again.

My point remains: nobody wants to join HC, for a reason. There are no real perks, as James10 said. It's like having a second job.

Even a slight mistake from inexperience can be disastrous, and that makes most players steer clear.

Even squad leaders don't want to be HC.

Why?

They'd rather play the game.

That's where the fun is... in the teamwork and co-op play.

Not in the map moving.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0