Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
throggy

Launch day returning player....

31 posts in this topic

I was "there" on launch day when WWIIOL launched! What a failure and disaster that was.

Here, about 15 years later I have returned to see what has improved, what new vehicles and equipment has been put into the game, and I must say, I am sorely disappointed.

Noobs still get slaughtered and gaining rank is still a grind. The "good" vehicles and equipment is/are for the higher ranks.

Way back when WWIIOL was new, there were even plans to expand or include a pacific theater. What happened to that?

There are at least 3 DIFFERENT descriptions throughout the site and signing up to what all is entailed in a starter account. Seriously?!?!

Graphics are a bit better than 15 years ago, but meh.

My biggest complaint is all the timers, time outs, delay, delay, DELAY! What the ****?

No really, I log on to play, not watch a 2:30 timer count down before I can even get in my first mission. No auto despawn upon death? A timer TO despawn after death? (10 secs) Another timer to RESPAWN after death? (Up to 30 secs)

The ANNOYING pop up thing when I go to switch persona. Get RID of IT!

I played another game for a long time and eventually left. The main reason, I will not pay my good money to watch a TIMER. I have clocks already, if I wanted to watch time go by, I'll watch my clocks.

Sure this game may still hold top dog in a couple spots, but that pony is old and dying.

I have some interest in playing still, even with all the negatives above. It was even explained why to a degree there are timers to me in game. Sadly, I and everyone else has to endure them and they are no fun and are very ANNOYING.

Will I stay? Sure, to finish out the time on the month I paid for. Beyond that....maybe, but I doubt it.

I'm sure this post will get attacked. People will defend all the negatives of the game. No matter what game or forum, there are those who always defend bad game mechanics or policy. Maybe they think they'll get a prize or a pat on the head? Who knows.

Done with my rant, vent, review, whatever.

Side note. Even on this Forum after I posted this, it shows that my account is a FREE PLAY account. Not hardly. Wow....(However I did cancel my subscription while I take time to decide whether I will toss more of my money after something I am not as pleased as I could be with.)

T

Edited by throggy

What can I say. RATS ran into funding issues a while back and have just recently been able to release patches and start to improve game play. 1.35 should be a good base to get more things done. Catch up on some reading of past dev updates and the 2016 dev schedule.

Your rants are nothing new.....just another person on a different day.

Not big on spawn delay myself. I understand why it is there, but you can't penalize someone for wanting to play with their squad. I could live with a 20 sec max. I do like the side switching timer, I definitely see the need for that.

I have to look through my stuff, I wonder if the original cd will become a collector's item :)

Edited by donatelli

Wow...

I'm a Day 1 player as well, and I gotta say... The game is a WHOLE lot better now than it was then. No comparison... at all. It sucked so bad, I left and didn't come back for 3 years lol.

Edited by lipton

Day one player here as well...

Dude. Relax a little bit, huh?

Your last line shows some real impatience.

I see a huge difference form 1999 Beta to now. Sure, the graphic are just so-so, but it's still a grand map with combined arms play. Still the only thing of its kind.

The despawn delays suck... the spawn in delays, (NOT the regular 30sec SD,) suck. Did you know delays suck, but are necessary for the server to synch your character with all else going on in the map.

The timers suck but not as badly as the most obvious problems of game and side population and more specifically, the whole High Command structure.

Being dependent on a handful of guys who make the choice to add a second job to their lives to move supply around and place AOs is just a recipe for disaster.

Your post has me suspicious that you are just somebody who has played all along and wants to rant about timers from the POV of a returning player. The most obvious complaints are just looked past and you go for the handful of ten second delays?

Not sure if trolling or...

Day one player here as well...

Dude. Relax a little bit, huh?

Your last line shows some real impatience.

I see a huge difference form 1999 Beta to now. Sure, the graphic are just so-so, but it's still a grand map with combined arms play. Still the only thing of its kind.

The despawn delays suck... the spawn in delays, (NOT the regular 30sec SD,) suck. Did you know delays suck, but are necessary for the server to synch your character with all else going on in the map.

The timers suck but not as badly as the most obvious problems of game and side population and more specifically, the whole High Command structure.

Being dependent on a handful of guys who make the choice to add a second job to their lives to move supply around and place AOs is just a recipe for disaster.

Your post has me suspicious that you are just somebody who has played all along and wants to rant about timers from the POV of a returning player. The most obvious complaints are just looked past and you go for the handful of ten second delays?

Not sure if trolling or...

Yeah, sure, I'm here to waste more time just to Troll. (That is sarcasm, fyi.) :mad:

On another note. Does anyone remember when you could Climb trees at the beginning? Removing tree climbing IMHO was a bad choice. Gave a whole new aura of imminent death. Plus it was FUN when you were in a tree. :cool:

Yeah some of the graphics and game play are improved. 15 years worth of improvement? That is a long time on one game.

Was nice to see some other day 1 posters/ re's.:D

"Noobs still get slaughtered"

:confused:

And what do yoy expect? Body armor for noobs?

Noobs get slaughtered till they stop being noobs...is logic,no?

"Noobs still get slaughtered"

:confused:

And what do yoy expect? Body armor for noobs?

Noobs get slaughtered till they stop being noobs...is logic,no?

Noobs get slaughtered in every game. Its their function.

The difference here is veterans don't have +900000% dmg trickets that takes 10 years to grind.

All that matters here is experience.

Oh and yeah I'm a 2002 player and so many things changed. The graphics were upgraded at least 5 times. Probably more.

I still have the original CD, I installed it once for lulz and omfg.

Just try to google old pictures of the game...

Edited by Lob12

On another note. Does anyone remember when you could Climb trees at the beginning? Removing tree climbing IMHO was a bad choice.

Every tom, **** and harry were climbing trees....it was stupid. Plus we have better visuals with the trees we have now instead of the "X" trees and bush lines we had.

Hiya Throggy,

Day1'er recently come back as well. WB and I hope you find it fun enough to stay. Even with the spawn delays and limited playtime due to RL, I am having a good time. It is funny that you mention climbing. I was in Neuf last night and was trying to 'shimmy' my way up into an MG tower and it wasn't working like it used to. I asked in chat and some people thought I had three heads. I guess the climbing has been out for some time. Finding good spots in those 'platform' trees used to be a lot of fun.

You know the drill though, this game was never designed to be a WWII COD clone. So many people, so much terrain/map space and $$$ shortages for the Rats kept things behind the curve a bit. But for a massively multiplayer Sea, Land and Air WWII game you won't find anything of this scale. Just about everything in this game requires a bit of patience and teamwork.

S!

I don't like the new Side lock (with 1.35 and less bugs its gonna be more acceptable though).

But its still better than the old 180-200 + secs spwn delay that would see sometimes.

Edited by Lob12

I still have the original CD' date=' I installed it once for lulz and omfg.[/quote']

I was just looking at my CD and thinking of doing the same for kicks. Did it work?

I don't like the new Side lock (with 1.35 and less bugs its gonna be more acceptable though).

But its still better than the old 180-200 + secs spwn delay that would see sometimes.

hahah Throggy missed those days.

Imagine sitting there for over 4 mins waiting to spawn in. You're all fired up and raging, and then you have to sit there. If there was elevator muzak it'd have been REALLY special.

I was just looking at my CD and thinking of doing the same for kicks. Did it work?

I think it did lol

Didnt try on windows 10 though, been a while.

And I dont feel like uninstalling the game right now to check if it works.

I was "there" on launch day when WWIIOL launched! What a failure and disaster that was.

Here, about 15 years later I have returned to see what has improved, what new vehicles and equipment has been put into the game, and I must say, I am sorely disappointed.

Noobs still get slaughtered and gaining rank is still a grind. The "good" vehicles and equipment is/are for the higher ranks.

Way back when WWIIOL was new, there were even plans to expand or include a pacific theater. What happened to that?

There are at least 3 DIFFERENT descriptions throughout the site and signing up to what all is entailed in a starter account. Seriously?!?!

Graphics are a bit better than 15 years ago, but meh.

My biggest complaint is all the timers, time outs, delay, delay, DELAY! What the ****?

No really, I log on to play, not watch a 2:30 timer count down before I can even get in my first mission. No auto despawn upon death? A timer TO despawn after death? (10 secs) Another timer to RESPAWN after death? (Up to 30 secs)

The ANNOYING pop up thing when I go to switch persona. Get RID of IT!

I played another game for a long time and eventually left. The main reason, I will not pay my good money to watch a TIMER. I have clocks already, if I wanted to watch time go by, I'll watch my clocks.

Sure this game may still hold top dog in a couple spots, but that pony is old and dying.

I have some interest in playing still, even with all the negatives above. It was even explained why to a degree there are timers to me in game. Sadly, I and everyone else has to endure them and they are no fun and are very ANNOYING.

Will I stay? Sure, to finish out the time on the month I paid for. Beyond that....maybe, but I doubt it.

I'm sure this post will get attacked. People will defend all the negatives of the game. No matter what game or forum, there are those who always defend bad game mechanics or policy. Maybe they think they'll get a prize or a pat on the head? Who knows.

Done with my rant, vent, review, whatever.

Side note. Even on this Forum after I posted this, it shows that my account is a FREE PLAY account. Not hardly. Wow....(However I did cancel my subscription while I take time to decide whether I will toss more of my money after something I am not as pleased as I could be with.)

T

All I see is a quick judgement with no substance or care to learn. This game isn't for everyone and we have survived impossible odds thanks to the support our community, and incredible team over the years.

We will continue to do everything we can to make 2016 a big year for the game and build our future.

Every tom' date=' **** and harry were climbing trees....it was stupid. Plus we have better visuals with the trees we have now instead of the "X" trees and bush lines we had.[/quote']

I wish we had those x bushes back.

The bush jungle now a days is a bit too much:)

All I see is a quick judgement with no substance or care to learn. This game isn't for everyone and we have survived impossible odds thanks to the support our community, and incredible team over the years.

We will continue to do everything we can to make 2016 a big year for the game and build our future.

Wow. And what I see here is someone who can't take constructive criticism? Ask around in game if my name has been seen lately, how much I've been fighting/flying/asking questions and learning. I challenge you to at least do that before you attempt to belittle me.

I waited a few days before I made this thread.

I waited 15 years for crying out loud in hopes to see a lot more in game and improvements than what I do. No patience? ha. And you are soon opening yourselves up to steam and all the noobs and the influx of problems with that and you can't even do a courteous welcome back? Yeah, you'll get your flood of steam $$. Is going to steam your last hurrah and only cash grab option left now, or do you really intend to provide some real entertainment?

Will your Customers however get the support they should, and any semblance of courtesy? With your post to me here, I have serious doubts, at least on the courtesy part.

On a parting note. If I had thought WWIIOL / BE was 100% terrible, I wouldn't have even bothered, or spent one red cent. Thanks for your 2 minutes of time to make a reply Xoom. Maybe next time, don't belittle a customer?

Wow. And what I see here is someone who can't take constructive criticism? Ask around in game if my name has been seen lately, how much I've been fighting/flying/asking questions and learning. I challenge you to at least do that before you attempt to belittle me.

I waited a few days before I made this thread.

I waited 15 years for crying out loud in hopes to see a lot more in game and improvements than what I do. No patience? ha. And you are soon opening yourselves up to steam and all the noobs and the influx of problems with that and you can't even do a courteous welcome back? Yeah, you'll get your flood of steam $$. Is going to steam your last hurrah and only cash grab option left now, or do you really intend to provide some real entertainment?

Will your Customers however get the support they should, and any semblance of courtesy? With your post to me here, I have serious doubts, at least on the courtesy part.

On a parting note. If I had thought WWIIOL / BE was 100% terrible, I wouldn't have even bothered, or spent one red cent. Thanks for your 2 minutes of time to make a reply Xoom. Maybe next time, don't belittle a customer?

Actually, we're very capable of taking in constructive criticism, we have demonstrated our ability to take player feedback that is actionable and turn that around into a positive.

Speaking of courtesy, it would be a good idea to ask some questions before you show up after however many years you have been out and ask someone questions. Look at your post again and tell me how a team of people (90% former players, most of which are volunteers) who have stepped up to help the game is supposed to absorb what you're saying?

You have a fair point with regards to the timers and delays but they are (what players have referred to) as a necessary evil and we have reduced them as much as we can before we can get back into some serious game balance mechanism development (post-1.35 launch).

So I think players have a right to express their opinion (absolutely), but I would have asked that you maybe learn a bit more. What questions you may have asked in game is unknown to me, but with three posts to your name and being here since January on this account (despite you saying you were here 15 years ago on launch) that doesn't tell me a lot about your understanding of the last few years and what sort of situation we have pulled ourselves out of.

We have a Game Idea & Suggestion forum. If you have some ideas that you'd like to share that might help make things better, we will very much take them seriously. Stay positive and as you said, constructive.

S!

. Maybe next time' date=' don't belittle a customer?[/quote']

Free account =/ customer imho lol.

You probably caught Xoom on a bad day. His PR is usually flawless :D

Am i the only one who doesnt believe hes a day 1 player "just" returning and just a sour guy who has been playing for much longer?

Noone reacts like this when they come back after a long period. Noone names steam. Someone who unsubbed within a year after launch never "waits 15 years".

A player would be suprised the game is still around etc.

Personally I love the frank interaction we get with the Rats but it is not for everyone.

It always amuses me that a player feels entitled to come in and tell the developer and the community what they think is wrong with the game in very frank (and sometimes inaccurate or just superficial) opinions but rapidly retreat behind the "you can't talk like that to a customer" defence if the developer is anything other than grovelingly accepting of the players comments.

This game is not for everyone and never will be. It has flaws and some of them are considerable HOWEVER it is a game that does things that no other game has ever or is doing or trying to do. For its niche market it is without comparison.

Whether Mons is right or throggy is what he claims to be (which I am happy to accept on face value) the game is obviously not for him and is unlikely to ever be. The Rats have to stay true to the core intent of their game and do what they can with the resources they have. I am extremely impressed by what they have done and how they have done it.

Arise the phoenix.

We know hes not a day 1 player that just returned Mons.:D

If Xooms resonse was belittling, then he/she has a very thin skin.:confused:

For those who doubt I am a day 1 returning player with a 15 year gap from being in game. That's your problem. I have no need to lie or make stuff up.

To Xoom. Thanks for a bit better reply. I imagine that is about as cordial as I can expect considering I did come in on the "attack".

When ANY company or organization or person accepts payment or my money for a service, and I feel that service is lacking, I will express my dissatisfaction. A few other areas in my OP were ignored, repeatedly, by all. You got your paws out to take money, you better be able to listen as well to your customers. Period. (Honestly I'm mildly shocked this thread hasn't been locked or deleted.)

"Way back when WWIIOL was new, there were even plans to expand or include a pacific theater. What happened to that?

There are at least 3 DIFFERENT descriptions throughout the site and signing up to what all is entailed in a starter account. Seriously?!?!"

One other thing. I got email like crazy right after I signed up this time around. Spam much? Good grief. You need to figure out WHICH starter plan you are really offering and make it uniform throughout all your offerings.

Anyway, what ever. Continue with making up stories. I did have some fun today in BE also. Yeah, I actually said that.

Ya'll have fun. I got my points across as best I can. I'm done with this thread.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0