Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tyrdaimp

Squad Operations

13 posts in this topic

We've all had those days where we have a squad get together and place a fru for a special mission.. and a New guy comes along, and ruins the fun...

Squad missions is placed by a Senior Squad member of which only squad members can join that mission, or have access to it. For that, Squad should also have a option to publicize the fru, if any when wanted,,, This will lead into my next suggestion.

I actually really like this idea. Would allow squads to do special things as well and likely better teamwork on those type of missions with Teamspeak etc to keep on track.

Certainly an interesting thought.

Years ago when CRS first added Missions, there was a Squad mission type, with the suggested functionality. After not too long, CRS removed it so that it wouldn't create a system in which lone wolf noobs, i.e. non squad joiners, wouldn't have access to key missions.

How to provide well organized gameplay for non squad joiners has always been a problem. As in the above situation, the problem fundamentally conflicts with CRS's marketing need to support squads.

I'm glad jwilly said something because I was thinking the same thing, there is potential for alienation of paying customers. I understand the concept of wanting to lock out unwanted joiners on certain special missions I'm just not sure hoe it is implemented fairly.

Is there some king of solution. Maybe give squads a small number of active squad missions allowed or even access to one and limit the amount of squad players allowed on the mission to a small number like 10 or less. THat way a squad could create a few black ops missions such as FB busts or a secret para mission.

I like the concept but I think it would have to be very controlled to work and I'm not sure all that coding effort would be worth it.

Another consideration would be where or if these types of missions would be on the active battles tab.

It's not a mystery how squad missions would affect the game. They're a basic feature in just about every other MMO. Planetside 2 has a simple public/private setting and the feature does not need to be more complicated than that. In that game there are outfits that do their own thing and keep to themselves, but any outfit that wants to grow and recruit runs public squads because they are the best way to recruit new players. That alone is enough incentive to keep all the good missions from being private.

Removing squad missions was the dumbest mistake that the developers have ever made. Now that everyone that was responsible for the decision is gone I don't know why putting them back in hasn't been a priority.

Could maybe limit your squad to a small number of missions per squad per ao. Or maybe a certain number of them per hour. I'd love to get the ABT less cluttered, and taking a few out would certainly do that. I know the new guys still need to be "funneled" somewhere, so why not give HC a drop down tool where you highlight the mission and right click it, and it'll say "set as priority mission" and it'll be the p1 mission for allied side. Make it to where it resets either once the ao is complete/pulled or when the players on the mission drop to below a certain number of people for a certain amount of time.

Squad missions are a good idea IF the ability to toggle the mission from Squad to Open (and back again if desired) is implemented.

We've all had those days where we have a squad get together and place a fru for a special mission.. and a New guy comes along' date=' and ruins the fun...[/quote']

So your basically saying new guys ruin the fun? How so.........unless there a spy. Not good to ostracize new players.

Im not currently in a squad and have been around since 2003......so basically your saying I would ruin your fun if I spawned on your FRU?

a lot of newer players may not know how or not be well informed on deploying a FRU. So to leave it to non-squad people to place FRU's could slow donw the game for new people. No instant action for them and their gone.

Squad missions are a good idea IF the ability to toggle the mission from Squad to Open (and back again if desired) is implemented.

Yes to this, but squad missions and tools need to be implemented.

So your basically saying new guys ruin the fun? How so.........unless there a spy. Not good to ostracize new players.

Im not currently in a squad and have been around since 2003......so basically your saying I would ruin your fun if I spawned on your FRU?

a lot of newer players may not know how or not be well informed on deploying a FRU. So to leave it to non-squad people to place FRU's could slow donw the game for new people. No instant action for them and their gone.

I think he really means just "blue tags", and not squaddies.

Honestly, it's not really a knock against non-squaddies... it's just a way to prevent some dipsheet from showing up on your fru that was SUPPOSED to be sneaky and/or quiet, and they start shooting their rifels or whatever and screw everyone's fun up.

So your basically saying new guys ruin the fun?

so basically your saying I would ruin your fun if I spawned on your FRU?

"So your basically saying new guys ruin the fun?" : Yes.

"basically your saying I would ruin your fun if I spawned on your FRU?":Yes

I can have a mission, together with mi squadies, or alone. And you dont know anything about it...because your arent in same TS or chat channel, so you can ruin mi mission, not intended of course.

Is mi mission, why should i have people,with no idea about it, spawning there?

Edited by roner

squad missions are needed and i agree with the idea of making an "open" option after a squad has done their organized set up.....been asking for this for years

squad missions are essential to expanding the game just like any other game with squads, guilds, clans, tribes, whatever. there is a simple blend that would be to the benefit of squads, CRS and new/lone wolf players:

1. allow unlimited squad missions, but squads pay for them (either per mission/micro-transaction, or a squad monthly/yearly fee or a specific squad/squad member sub).

if squad missions are important to current and past players, we/they would pay for them as part of the trade off for exclusiveness

2. joining a squad would have increased value for new players since many/most would want to go on squad missions or be part of something larger

3. most, but not all, squads, at least on larger focused missions (ie. capping a town, not capping a specific depot or blowing a fb) would also see the benefit (or if they were gentlemen would do so anyway) of creating a non squad mission/fru (by one of the squad members) to aid, support, flank, or fulfill the overall goal.

4. some squads, or smaller squads might choose not to pay for squad missions and would be setting frus, running missions etc that would be open to all players

5. squad missions might actually add to the cohesiveness and immersion of the game (as it did in the old days) by enticing new players/lone wolves to actually join a squad and get involved and yes, pay their share of the cost.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0