Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heljumpr

Topographic Map Option

11 posts in this topic

I think it would be cool to have a topographic map option added to the in game map. It could be turned on and off like the AWS is currently. A topographic feature would in my opinion help in planning attacks or even in defense planning. We fight in so many various areas, it would be nice to have an idea of the elevation before rolling out a tank, ATG, FRU, etc.

...at the LEAST put numbers for elevation on the current map.

Yeah something like that. I know the map could easily get cluttered. Just an idea.

...by the way, nice kill last night. You swooped in lightning fast in a 190 and tore wings off, killed my pilot and ripped the tail off of my Spit, sending me into a ball of flame so violent that my POV stayed still and my wrecked plane kept going!

Nice bit of flying.

...by the way, nice kill last night. You swooped in lightning fast in a 190 and tore wings off, killed my pilot and ripped the tail off of my Spit, sending me into a ball of flame so violent that my POV stayed still and my wrecked plane kept going!

Nice bit of flying.

Thanks! I appreciate it. There was some good action over Koln yesterday.

I think several RATs looked at this - SHEF being the most recent before he left (Intern).

I didn't see whatever CRS came up with. I suspect their concept was bogus.

Suppose we had access to the game's DEM data...not the real DEM data, which would be useless; instead the data for the adjusted map as presently designed. That is, the corner heights for each tile intersection.

For any two points that are one tile edge distance apart, we would know the height difference between them. Suppose one is 22 meters and the other is 37 meters, and suppose that we've defined that a contour line will be drawn for each multiple of 10 meters, i.e. there will be contour lines at 20, 30, 40 meters, etc.

Then on a map showing the two points and the tile boundary defined by the line between the two points, a contour line will cross that boundary 8/15 of the line length from the 22 meter high end.

If all that you do is that boundary crossing math to define functional contour lines, and connect the crossing points with straight lines, you end up with a quite functional contour map. I've mocked it up before. It's pretty useful. And, it should be possible to do it all algorithmically, once you have the DEM data.

Or you massage the resulting contours using a Bezier curve function to smooth all of the line junctions. Now it looks like a USGS contour map. Yes, it would lose some precision, but it isn't going to be precise in the first place. We wouldn't be trying to make a map that we could use to determine ultra low altitude cruise missile pathing. All that we need is something that shows that line of sight on the target from a km away, through the pass between the two big hills.

I'm not saying that it's an easy job to do the work, but I think CRS may have approached the problem less than effectively.

Edited by jwilly

The original problem setting up a topo map was they couldn't regulate the size

of the lines used. They came out really FAT.

I have a possible solution. Make the map outside of the game. Code it in

such a way as to be secured.

Instead of hitting 'M' to call your map up, you hit .

The player would see a topo map. He would also see all (friendly) within

1k of his position. He would see marks too. Not tied to missions, towns, etc.

but to area.

There already is info being sent out of game. You would have to tailor it

to work on the Topo Map that is outside of game. Make it tied to the side

you are on, so no cheaters. Maybe something that CRS could use to combat

the cheater.

In reality, you have to stop, open your map up (unfold) and orient it, etc.

So this would simulate that (time spent).

Also, making the map more complex would not effect the game, because

it is outside of the game.

I think it would be cool to have a topographic map option added to the in game map. It could be turned on and off like the AWS is currently. A topographic feature would in my opinion help in planning attacks or even in defense planning. We fight in so many various areas' date=' it would be nice to have an idea of the elevation before rolling out a tank, ATG, FRU, etc.[/quote']

Yes! GREAT suggestion...I was about to open a thread on this very topic.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0