silversoil

mumble

11 posts in this topic

mumble is a new software , witch , if activated , will be highly realistic , as to say , the farther away you are from someone , the quieter they are , the closer the louder , and does this for a 360 circle around each user , i thought i might say this because many people have complaints about not being able to hear the direction of enemy fire , or that ts is just not realistic , there is a youtube video on bluedrake42's channel , of an ex of mumble with the computer version of battlefield 1942 , if you like mumble , try it out with ww2online , this may be a solution to these ts problems

mumble is a new software ' date=' witch , if activated , will be highly realistic , as to say , the farther away you are from someone , the quieter they are , the closer the louder , and does this for a 360 circle around each user , i thought i might say this because many people have complaints about not being able to hear the direction of enemy fire , or that ts is just not realistic , there is a youtube video on bluedrake42's channel , of an ex of mumble with the computer version of battlefield 1942 , if you like mumble , try it out with ww2online , this may be a solution to these ts problems[/quote']

It sounds like you're suggesting that this MUmble program be incorporated into the game?

Your description makes it sound like it's a program that covers in-game sound with player voices being audible to everyone nearby. Am I understanding this correctly? For example, if I am logged in and Mumble is in use, all I have to do is activate my microphone to talk, and everyone within a certain radius will hear me? And even if I don't have a microphone, I will hear everyone else in that radius from me?

I ask because I thought that Mumble was merely a different chat program that is an alternative to TS.

I could see some of the advantage to having a built in voice in game, but unless it has the ability to allow for closed chat capability that is NOT affected by distance, then I don't see it being very useful for squads or teams trying to carry out joint ops, or for High Command.

The problems with this are fairly obvious, teams want channels that allow them to chat ONLY with their team on missions. They don't want the enemy to hear their comms when they are fighting in a town. High Command has it's own issues, needing to be able not only to speak to each other and to Squads, but to be able to do this when they are sitting at the map, and not logged in game.

I like the idea that folks could have a built in in game chat, and being able to hear player near you or the enemy would be more realistic to a point. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to do things like whisper to another person near you so that the enemy in the CP 10 feet away doesn't hear you. (Most in game chat programs don't think of that) So general in game chat would be of limited use.

On another note, I'm not sure why people are complaining about not being able to tell where things are by sound. I have hunted many a tank or FRU setting truck by sound. The game's in game directional sound seems to work just fine to me.

Now if Mumble is a supplemental chat program that any player can use, like TS, and when they are chatting with their pals, it adds the distance factor for realism, I say go for it if it works for you.

Now I'm going on your post only. I haven't researched Mumble. If it works differently than I am assuming, well that's why I asked my questions; so that we can all understand better how your suggestion would work .

From what I know about Mumble, it is more than just the proximity thing. It somehow can also move you from squad or mission to another depending on what mission you are in. It does it by reading where the player is and assigning him there. I'm sure it will have to be worked out but it is very seemless and easy to use. Even just having the ingame coms instead of having to install stuff separatly, I think it is worth looking at.

It sounds like you're suggesting that this MUmble program be incorporated into the game?

Your description makes it sound like it's a program that covers in-game sound with player voices being audible to everyone nearby. Am I understanding this correctly? For example, if I am logged in and Mumble is in use, all I have to do is activate my microphone to talk, and everyone within a certain radius will hear me? And even if I don't have a microphone, I will hear everyone else in that radius from me?

I ask because I thought that Mumble was merely a different chat program that is an alternative to TS.

I could see some of the advantage to having a built in voice in game, but unless it has the ability to allow for closed chat capability that is NOT affected by distance, then I don't see it being very useful for squads or teams trying to carry out joint ops, or for High Command.

The problems with this are fairly obvious, teams want channels that allow them to chat ONLY with their team on missions. They don't want the enemy to hear their comms when they are fighting in a town. High Command has it's own issues, needing to be able not only to speak to each other and to Squads, but to be able to do this when they are sitting at the map, and not logged in game.

I like the idea that folks could have a built in in game chat, and being able to hear player near you or the enemy would be more realistic to a point. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to do things like whisper to another person near you so that the enemy in the CP 10 feet away doesn't hear you. (Most in game chat programs don't think of that) So general in game chat would be of limited use.

On another note, I'm not sure why people are complaining about not being able to tell where things are by sound. I have hunted many a tank or FRU setting truck by sound. The game's in game directional sound seems to work just fine to me.

Now if Mumble is a supplemental chat program that any player can use, like TS, and when they are chatting with their pals, it adds the distance factor for realism, I say go for it if it works for you.

Now I'm going on your post only. I haven't researched Mumble. If it works differently than I am assuming, well that's why I asked my questions; so that we can all understand better how your suggestion would work .

there are servers like ts , to there would have to be a single server for axis and allied , for each side , it works like ts , but solves some of the complaints , and also if there was to different servers , for each side , they would now hear you , and also it solves the problem of needing to focus on the area your in instead of hearing about what type of gun they like

Edited by silversoil

From what I know about Mumble' date=' it is more than just the proximity thing. It somehow can also move you from squad or mission to another depending on what mission you are in. It does it by reading where the player is and assigning him there. I'm sure it will have to be worked out but it is very seemless and easy to use. Even just having the ingame coms instead of having to install stuff separatly, I think it is worth looking at.[/quote']

yes it does work like that , blue drake uses project reality and bf1942 to show this on his youtube , bluedrake42

Programs like Mumble are designed to simulate direct spoken/shouted communication. That's fine in a small-group-ground-only, foot movement context with only short range weapons and all of the players "outdoors", or at least in the same acoustical space.

WWIIOL has much longer ranged weapons and many types of vehicle movement. Its communication needs are usually justified as "radio". Certainly communications to/from individuals in buttoned-up tanks, or in an aircraft, or on a ship or boat don't make any sense without the radio justification. Likewise for comms between ground players more than a couple of hundred meters from each other.

I don't think a program like Mumble would add realism to the game. It'd just shift from one sort of unrealism (everyone has an invisible, modern-quality radio) to another (odd distance-based speech volume that isn't physics based when there's a closed building wall or a closed steel tank hull interposed).

there are servers like ts ' date=' to there would have to be a single server for axis and allied , for each side , it works like ts , but solves some of the complaints , and also if there was to different servers , for each side , they would now hear you , and also it solves the problem of needing to focus on the area your in instead of hearing about what type of gun they like[/quote']

i just noticed a typo , now is not , (not hear you)

mumble is a new software ' date=' witch , if activated , will be highly realistic , as to say , the farther away you are from someone , the quieter they are , the closer the louder , and does this for a 360 circle around each user , i thought i might say this because many people have complaints about not being able to hear the direction of enemy fire , or that ts is just not realistic , there is a youtube video on bluedrake42's channel , of an ex of mumble with the computer version of battlefield 1942 , if you like mumble , try it out with ww2online , this may be a solution to these ts problems[/quote']

cant hear noises properly=headset on wrong.