Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quincannon

Poll: Please help

32 posts in this topic

Hello All WWII Online Addicts!

I am conducting this poll on the forums to get feedback from as many folks as possible on your views on using Teamspeak. The idea is to find out why there is such a low amount of usage among our players. CRS has not asked me to do this, but I thought it might help the game and community if we can understand why you DO or DO NOT use TS, and maybe what can be done to help make the game better in the area of in-game chat. I do ask that we don't get into arguments, but just that each player post if they do or do not use TS and why. If you and your squad use an alternate chat, please mention that and its advantages. I believe that if we do this, it just might help us see where the problem lies with TS and it may give us a clue to a long term solution. If we keep this clean and professional, it might be useful to CRS, so please help me out. Thank you so much for your input.

PS: Please consider not JUST saying "TeamSpeak sucks!" It's much more helpful to say "TeamSpeak sucks because..." We already know that a lot of folks don't like using TeamSpeak, but we don't know WHY. This is a great chance for you to tell us and CRS your reasons.

Edited by Quincannon

I'll start.

I DO use TeamSpeak. I have found it very useful as a player to talk to my squad, and as an HC member when I need to communicate with players and squads. It has always made the game more fun and allowed me to make friends that chat would not really have allowed for.

I have also downloaded the overwolf upgrade at one point, but haven't had it make much difference.Any feedback from Overwolf users might help with that as well. Thanks.

I use TS and AEF expect squaddies to use it.

Instant response and Squad orders plus able to converse with your friends! Simples...

I DO use TS. It helps to facilitate communication.

When I first started playing online gaming I was so shy that going on voice comms was too stressful to be done. It took me years to get over that, although I now realize there was nothing to be afraid of in the first place :)

I'll start.

I DO use TeamSpeak. I have found it very useful as a player to talk to my squad, and as an HC member when I need to communicate with players and squads. It has always made the game more fun and allowed me to make friends that chat would not really have allowed for.

I have also downloaded the overwolf upgrade at one point, but haven't had it make much difference.Any feedback from Overwolf users might help with that as well. Thanks.

Overwolf never works for me, but oldzeke pointed me to the overlay plugin. It only works with a certain version of TS, and you need a certain version of the overlay.

TS version 3.0.16

Overlay version 3.8.23

I use teamspeak extensively, in a combat situation it is much easier than to type, also more secure

as far as overlays i use project kryptonite https://projectkryptonite.com/

fyi project kryptonite is by the same developers as teamspeak overlay

it is stable and works well

Edited by feldgrau

I don't like teamspeak-- can't hear the battle sounds around me. Also, people tend to talk too much about unrelated matters.

I find it breaks my concentration on what I am doing.

I DO use TeamSpeak.

Comms is so much easier and faster with it, I can communicate and shoot at the same time!

Chatting with people during the moments of no action is great too and often funny.

I've mapped a button to mute TeamSpeak audio if I need to, I sometimes do that when listening for footsteps. I've also mapped buttons to raise and lower the TeamSpeak audio, I tend to turn TS volume up when I'm in a vehicle.

I use the Overlay that comes with it, so if I don't recognise a voice I can see the name of the person that is talking.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Teamspeak - Yes absolutely as I feel it is one of the best weapons in the game, for Teaching, learning and combined teamwork efforts, with a few simple rules as to conduct and such it can be useful in many different situations.

Overlay - I use the the overlay from Project Kryptonite https://projectkryptonite.com/ and have had no issue's with it.

nice topic Quincannon. :cool:

I use it to train pilots how to fly, but in game I am only on maybe 20-30% of the time.

Too many voices gets me stressed and I have to jump off of it, or I might go kick a Unicorn.

I don't like teamspeak-- can't hear the battle sounds around me. Also, people tend to talk too much about unrelated matters.

I find it breaks my concentration on what I am doing.

This.

If we could keep battle comms up it would be awesome.

Some people just dont care about others and tend to talk non stop.

I use it, but at times it's pretty dam annoying.

Can't hear over engines unless game sound gets turned down. If there are more than 6-7 people on the channel it usually ends up drifting off of game related stuff.

Invariably someone wanders off to a different part of the fight, but keeps reporting contacts and intel to those who are no where near (or not even in the same town).

For a group that is on one target at one time, and does not do any other comms except battle related, and is all at the same place it's great.

I use TeamSpeak but had some of the same trepidation early on that some people have. You will find some people do not use it to avoid all the chatter. I used to feel that way until I realized like nick said that there are ways to mute TeamSpeak when you want to do that for whatever reason. It is an excellent tactical tool and greatly increases the communications between squad members. Cannot tell you how many times I have been killed while typing. Unfortunately we all do not use it so I feel obligated sometimes to type in the chat box so other side players can know if for instance my mark is on the move or only audio or dead already.

I am interested in Mumbles capabilities to grant localized voice audio in game and how that might be integrated into different channels. I wish someone created a mod for TeamSpeak that operated similar to Task Force Arrowhead Radio does in Arma 3. That would be cool.

P.S. I can be a little chatty myself and have to be self aware and rein myself in. A simple break...break...break works wonders if I lose myself in an unrelated conversation. ;)

Edited by stonecomet

I used to use TS with BTZ and AEF however I have an old italian computer and :

a) my mic broke and

B) since recent patches everytime turning on TS the game crashes

I hope one day there is simple integrated voice comms with the game.

I would use TS but there never seems to be any of my squad on it. Also I have a shared space where my desktop is at so my use is limited to absolutely necessary comms only. Well that and I have the worst luck with mic's just got a new one that I can't seem to get to work. I am a returning player from long ago and can remember how ts was such a huge tool. Though like others have said. Once you get to a certain amount of people it seems useless as everyone talks over others. I would definately like to see it used more than it is now though.

> each player post if they do or do not use TS and why

I do use it almost always, because it's often easier to talk than it is to type.

I do use TS. Its becoming semi-mandatory to be on all the time when playing.

It improves your gameplay and organisation and is fun. Its quicker than typing.

People who find the audio annoying i would suggest to connect a headset to TS but set speakers (preferably with volume button close to keyboard or as button on keyboard) to play the game audio. Thats how you can adjust to different situations quite fast.

Teamspeak is useful in squad-based play when communication protocols are established and enforced. It's also a good place to chill out and meet people from the game. You get a better sense of who someone is when you talk directly to them, and for me that is important.

It definitely enhances my gameplay and I almost always use it.

major0noob here.

i don't, unless the squad is already on.

I use it, but at times it's pretty dam annoying.

Can't hear over engines unless game sound gets turned down. If there are more than 6-7 people on the channel it usually ends up drifting off of game related stuff.

For a group that is on one target at one time, and does not do any other comms except battle related, and is all at the same place it's great.

these 2, can never get the TS/Game volume ratio right.

we always end up in several places too, we might start attacking south then end up at the FB and in a CP and in vehicles.

also...

• switching between the game and TS is annoying

• trying to find the channel with action

• "Squad channels" vs "CRS squad channels" vs "a third option because why not."

• it's like conference calls sometimes...

• have no idea who's talking, need to memorize too many voices. i usually played with people i could remember like warpony

• loging in every. damb. time.

i think audio coms would be a better project then units, audio and graphics. it can't be too hard, almost every single console game has it.

CRS has mentioned an in game voice comms they are working on. This was a good thing in aces high and seemed to get everyone on voice comms. I believe once voice comms is integrated with the game a lot more people will use it.

Maybe having it in the help channel description would help. What I believe is people come into the game to play. They don't want the hassle of downloading a third party communication...setting it up....figuring out how to log on..etc.

Voice comms is crucial, imho. It also develops friendships. I had a squadmate from aces high send me a sixpence(along with a British penny I believe...for good luck)....he was from across the pond working in california....pdfly I think the name was...was a long time ago. I still have them.

There are a lot of squadmates from years past I remember...from different games. And although there were many different personalities, I can honestly say that all were good people and fun to hang on voice comms with.

The added benefit is that everyone knows some kind of trick to make things easier for different equipment. Talking to more people, you learn the game a lot faster.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0