stdyhand

Upgrade suggestions

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade my PC so I need some suggestions.

Current system:

Foxconn A79A-S motherboard

AMD Phenom II 940 (OC to 3.4ghz)

6 GB OCZ ram

GTX 660

PSU: Cooler master 750w

Windows 7

I've never had much of a buffer with my FPS in game. With a light fight I might get 50-60 but when the fighting gets heavy I am lucky to stay above 25 fps. This is with GFX card and game settings on low.

I only play WWIIOL and I know CPU speed is very important. I was hoping to switch over to Intel. Due to my budget I need to use what hardware I can such as the PSU and GFX card. For now I would like to get an Intel motherboard, CPU, and Ram. Since the game is very CPU intensive the motherboard and CPU are critical at this point. I need suggestions on components that are a good bang for the buck.

I know very little about Intel since I've always used AMD, hence the post.

Eh, I like AMD

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 8 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

$179.99

ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-4GD5-GAMING 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

$219.99

AMD FX-8370 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ FD8370FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

$189.99

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R (Red)

$69.99

sub 700 dollar system that you definitely wont lack for FPS in anything, maybe even cheaper if you use PC parts picker, I just used newegg

Don't bother with the 9590, its pretty much a wasted space heater

unless you are going to do something like video transcoding a lot

Game works better with Nvidia, OpenGL drivers. You can get away with an AMD, but an Intel is known for its value and does well for an extended period of time.

What resolution is your monitor?

Keep the GTX 660

Get the highest clocking Intel CPU and overclock it. k means unlocked